Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sending a Parcel to the usa

Default Sending a Parcel to the usa

Hi, whats the cheapest method to send a parcel to the usa ? looking at a delivery time of 2 weeks

Grandmaster

no cheap ways dude, how about just taking pictures and send the pics via email
    Trouble with Windows - re boot
    Trouble with Linux - be Root

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bondizzo View Post
    Hi, whats the cheapest method to send a parcel to the usa ? looking at a delivery time of 2 weeks
    There is no cheap. Under two weeks = airmail = prepare to have your hide nailed to the wall.

The last two parcels I sent were R150 and R180 each.

Was a few burned DVDs and two packs of pills.

Sending by courier is even more expensive.

Sending by surface is not advisable (much greater risk of getting stolen / squashed).

Best method... find a friend who is going to the USA, takes with them and drops into the US postage when they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    There is no cheap. Under two weeks = airmail = prepare to have your hide nailed to the wall.

The last two parcels I sent were R150 and R180 each.

Was a few burned DVDs and two packs of pills.

Sending by courier is even more expensive.

Sending by surface is not advisable (much greater risk of getting stolen / squashed).

Best method... find a friend who is going to the USA, takes with them and drops into the US postage when they get there.
    cool thats not bad, its for business , I wanna send like 10-20 dvd's over there. So the normal post office is the best way ?

Blog Entries

cool thats not bad, its for business , I wanna send like 10-20 dvd's over there. So the normal post office is the best way ?
    Yes, and they do offer insurance for a lil bit extra. Timing is good.. not longer than two weeks. Use one of those DVD spindles or even better get a cheapo DVD case from the flea market. Bubble wrap if you can.

On the Customs declaration just write "goods" ... nothing else. No value if you don't want them paying import duty on it.

Just use DHL.

still cant believe they quoted me for a 2m cubed box, of 30KG, R5400 form china in 7 days.

never used it though $%$#earthquake

Yes, and they do offer insurance for a lil bit extra. Timing is good.. not longer than two weeks. Use one of those DVD spindles or even better get a cheapo DVD case from the flea market. Bubble wrap if you can.

On the Customs declaration just write "goods" ... nothing else. No value if you don't want them paying import duty on it.
    are you sure about on the customs side ? let me just clear things up, I'm sending my final product(dvd) to www.filmbaby.com who will do distribution in the U.S, I produce them for next to nothing, ofcourse the resale value is much more, in that case would I declare them at the price it costs me to make them ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gboy View Post
    Just use DHL.

still cant believe they quoted me for a 2m cubed box, of 30KG, R5400 form china in 7 days.

never used it though $%$#earthquake
    DHL will charge you R500 for the same weight. And will still take a week to get there.

I use PostNet World post - they're courier it to the country of destination and then put it into their postal service so it bypasses SAPS altogether.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    I use PostNet World post - they're courier it to the country of destination and then put it into their postal service so it bypasses SAPS altogether.
    Is it cheaper ?

Blog Entries

are you sure about on the customs side ? let me just clear things up, I'm sending my final product(dvd) to www.filmbaby.com who will do distribution in the U.S, I produce them for next to nothing, ofcourse the resale value is much more, in that case would I declare them at the price it costs me to make them ?
    If it has no loss value to you, then I would not put any value on it. I assume you have a copy of it here? If you lost the parcel you would just send another one. Therefore loss = no value to you.

I would not put anything on the declaration. The customs guys are going to scan it through an X-ray machine anyway, and a chemical analyzer. Putting anything else on the declaration only draws attention to the parcel and causes your recipient to pay import duty.

The person who told me to write "goods" on it was a South African postal employee. So it is perfectly legit. Trust me.

Is it cheaper ?
    and safer and faster.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    You have to weigh this off... like this....

High goods value (you don't want to lose it) = use a courier & Insure = Higher cost

low goods value (you don't mind losing) = use SAPS = cheaper

Time is not an issue on either of these, the couriers will be slightly faster but not much.

If it has no loss value to you, then I would not put any value on it. I assume you have a copy of it here? If you lost the parcel you would just send another one. Therefore loss = no value to you.

I would not put anything on the declaration. The customs guys are going to scan it through an X-ray machine anyway, and a chemical analyzer. Putting anything else on the declaration only draws attention to the parcel and causes your recipient to pay import duty.

The person who told me to write "goods" on it was a South African postal employee. So it is perfectly legit. Trust me.
    cool stuff, its my first time hearing this, I'll give that a try

You have to weigh this off... like this....

High goods value (you don't want to lose it) = use a courier & Insure = Higher cost

low goods value (you don't mind losing) = use SAPS = cheaper

Time is not an issue on either of these, the couriers will be slightly faster but not much.
    Except worldpost is the same cost and often cheaper than SAPS/Airmail.
    Ron White was right

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast