Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy (l/100km)

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Fuel economy (l/100km)

What's your car's fuel economy like?

Also, what's a 'good' figure for litres/100km on, say, a normal 1.5 non-diesel car?

Banned

2004 Renault Scenic 2l

Regular driving 8.3 - 8.7l/100
    Long distance trip to Mpumalanga 7.3l/100

Polo 2.0i:
    8-8.5 l/100km - average everyday driving
    6-7 l/100km - long distance/highway driving
    Procrastination is like masturbation. It may feel good at first, but when you look at the task at hand, you're actually screwing yourself.

Uno Mia 1.1:
    7.4 l/100km - average everyday driving

Ford Bantam 1.6:
    9.7 l/100km - average everyday driving

Mothers Citroen C3 1.4 diesel:
    5.4 l/100km - average everyday driving
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

honda ballade 150
    7-8 l/100km

polo playa 1.6
    9l / 100km

Megane 6.9 - 7.4
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Car : German sedan. 3.5L V6 Auto.
    L/100Km daily : 13
    L/100Km Highway : 10

Better than my previous car (Jeep Grand Cherokee)
    L/100Km daily : 21
    L/100Km Highway : 17
    Getting Married in Cape Town? Do you need a Marriage Officer? Contact me at www.wedlock.co.za

Grandmaster

it is very dependant on your driving habits, age of the car and whether it has fuel injection.

you should get at least 10l/100km under normal conditions. possibly 7-8l/100km on long distance trips.

audi allroad quattro 2.7 v6 twin turbo ... 15l/100km
    ouch ouch ouch every day
    but what a pleasure to drive!

PS. Does anybody know where this stupid l/100km unit of measurement came from? It goes against every scientific grain in me. It is completely arb. I mean, why not l/233km? Or l/67km?? All other scientific or applied maths measurements are expressed as unit / unit.
    What was wrong with km/l? Much more useful and intuitive. </endrant>
    Last edited by spacemuis; 22-06-2008 at 02:26 AM.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemuis View Post
    PS. Does anybody know where this stupid l/100km unit of measurement came from? It goes against every scientific grain in me. It is completely arb. I mean, why not l/233km? Or l/67km?? All other scientific or applied maths measurements are expressed as unit / unit.
    What was wrong with km/l? Much more useful and intuitive. </endrant>
    Well, you could say litres/meter...but that would give you figures that are not terribly useful in daily life. That's why we use kilograms and kilometres instead of grams and metres...because the decimal system can handle powers of 10 nicely. 100km is a distance that makes the fuel consumption fall within a nice, easy-to-use range, and it's unfortunate that there's no handy term for 100000m like there is for 1000m.

km/l is useless as a measure of fuel consumption, because you're measuring against a constant; the fuel consumption will always be 1 litre. km/l is a measure of fuel efficiency, not fuel consumption. Fuel efficiency is useful as a theoretical measure for the efficiency of engines or whatever, but fuel consumption is more useful as a measure for how much fuel your car will use.

MKV GTi : 9.5
    BMW 335: 10
    Toyota Verso: 8

BMW 320D - 8.3l / 100 km
    This space for rent.... pm me

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Well, you could say litres/meter...but that would give you figures that are not terribly useful in daily life. That's why we use kilograms and kilometres instead of grams and metres...because the decimal system can handle powers of 10 nicely. 100km is a distance that makes the fuel consumption fall within a nice, easy-to-use range, and it's unfortunate that there's no handy term for 100000m like there is for 1000m.

km/l is useless as a measure of fuel consumption, because you're measuring against a constant; the fuel consumption will always be 1 litre. km/l is a measure of fuel efficiency, not fuel consumption. Fuel efficiency is useful as a theoretical measure for the efficiency of engines or whatever, but fuel consumption is more useful as a measure for how much fuel your car will use.
    While you're technically correct, I'd agree with spacemuis on the l/100km measurement being non-intuitive for the average guy filling up.

Last time you put 53 liters in your car and you traveled 473Km on it, what was you consumption in liters/100Km ?

So while km/l might not be a direct measure of fuel consumption, it is of fuel efficiency and for the layman it's just as good; My car goes so far on 1 liter of fuel.

1300cc Mazda: 5Km/l or 20l/100Km

Banned

These figures quoted all seem very conservative, which leads me to make two conclusions, either everyone has been slightly fisherman like and taken off the odd .1 or .5, or only people who are getting good consumption have bothered posting, besides spacemuis and TheREV of course!

With the current petrol price I hear talk on a daily basis around the water cooler about fuel consumption and my average of 8.5 is usually far superior to most others... makes me wonder if everyone on here drives like a grandpa.

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast