Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How to install tar.gz files in "Linux" OpenSUSE 10.2?

Default How to install tar.gz files in "Linux" OpenSUSE 10.2?

How to install tar.gz files in OpenSUSE 10.2?

I have thins problem, I canít install / compile / build those tar.gz files

For example: quicktime4linux-2.0.0-src.tar.bz2

Its driving me crazy because it sucks, I have a couple of tar.gz file I want to install on my Linux box

I have no problem with the RPM files, thatís like .EXE setup files under windows

I have tried a RPM Builder in OpenSUSE but it drives me also insane with its errors

thx

You need to first "unzip" the file, then configure it,then 'make' it, then install.

To unzip run "tar - zxvf quicktime4linux-2.0.0-src.tar.bz2" enter. it should unzip all the files into a directory named quicktime4linux-2.0.0, go into the directory and you should find a readme. The readme will normally tell you to run a command "./configure" and once that is complete you run "make" and then "make test" which will test the installer and finally run "make install". tbh I am a bit rusty but it is along those lines.

One thing that may affect your configuring abilities is having gc++ installed in suse. gc++ is a compiler which compiles the scripts for you so if it isn't installed you won't be able to use the "./configure" command. Use YAST to see if it is installed. Also, as a text editor I recommend using 'Pico' very nice and easy but not installed by default.

Anyways, hope some of this helps and gets you going in the right direction. good luck.
    Last edited by Friggs; 27-06-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Ok, I’ve just installed gc++.

I’m in the vlc dir in Shell – Konsole, and did that ./configure command well now my “./configure” is working for a change, it’s doing a lot of “checking ………………” stuff

If I type make it does nothing, its telling me “No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.”

try './install'

There may however be a required handle for the make command.... is there any sort of readme in the folder? Pico it and it should tell you what to run after './configure'

EDIT: It may have a specific installer in the directory, something like ./install-vlc or something similar. if there is no readme then look for and './' files in the directory and post the results and we'll have a look.
    Last edited by Friggs; 27-06-2008 at 07:43 PM.

cool its seems to work now, thx man, gc++ was required to do the job

You see if I want to ./configure vlc and then the error tells me I need to have libmad installed and now after I installed it tells me after that I needs to have ffmpeg installed on my system

Quote Originally Posted by Friggs View Post
    try './install'

There may however be a required handle for the make command.... is there any sort of readme in the folder? Pico it and it should tell you what to run after './configure'

EDIT: It may have a specific installer in the directory, something like ./install-vlc or something similar. if there is no readme then look for and './' files in the directory and post the results and we'll have a look.

awesome, glad I could help.

My ./configure command works but I’m getting errors for every tar.gz file I want to compile

RPM files works, I rather search for them on the net then struggling with tar.gz files, thx anyway mate

Blog Entries

D-Boy, google packman and add the repos. lots of extra non-oss software and games for suse which you dont get with the "normal" repos. 'Specially if you want your dvds and mp3s to start working in 10.2
    עם ישראל חי
    Join us at eRepublik. We need you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru View Post
    D-Boy, google packman and add the repos. lots of extra non-oss software and games for suse which you dont get with the "normal" repos. 'Specially if you want your dvds and mp3s to start working in 10.2
    Thx Gru, another cool site I've just found is http://rpm.pbone.net/