Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Telkomsa.net ISP POP3/SMTP address:port settings

  1. #1
    Grandmaster Smiley_lauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gauteng, South Africa
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Telkomsa.net ISP POP3/SMTP address:port settings

    Hi There
    Quick question:
    Does anyone know what the POP3/SMTP settings are for email client setup, including PORT numbers; this is what I need.
    pop3/smtp address:
    port:
    SSL: check or uncheck
    Auth: What type?

  2. #2
    Master of Messengers |tera|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    terra
    Posts
    20,655

    Default

    There's no real authentication on Telkom email accounts in comparison with gmail. Just use default settings.

    It's pop3.telkomsa.net and smtp.saix.net
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

    |GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

  3. #3
    Grandmaster Smiley_lauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gauteng, South Africa
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    yes, thanks. I am struggling with port numbers (I guess I am asking what the deafults settings would be); note: I am in Ubuntu and using Opera and/or evolution.

    Many thanks
    S
    Last edited by Smiley_lauf; 29-06-2008 at 02:51 PM.

  4. #4
    Grandmaster Srack0verflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Die Suip-kus
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    isn't it 80?

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Grandmaster Srack0verflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Die Suip-kus
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    sorry, thanks

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    There's no real authentication on Telkom email accounts in comparison with gmail. Just use default settings.

    It's pop3.telkomsa.net and smtp.saix.net
    Please use the details that are provided to you when you register. The details differ based on whether you are on dialup or on DSL.

    DSL-only customers should use smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for their SMTP server. It might currently be the same destination as smtp.saix.net, but using a different hostname (than smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net) means TelkomInternet can't easily ensure that you always get the right server (if and when they decide to change anything).

    Dialup customers should use smtp.telkomsa.net.

    Authentication is available on smtp.telkomsa.net, for users who use different access providers, you may want to enable authentication, and use this. This way, you can use the same settings whether you use dialup, DSL, or a 3rd-party access provider (e.g. 3G/HSDPA).

    SSL is not currently available for POP3 or IMAP.

  8. #8
    Master of Messengers |tera|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    terra
    Posts
    20,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Please use the details that are provided to you when you register. The details differ based on whether you are on dialup or on DSL.

    DSL-only customers should use smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for their SMTP server. It might currently be the same destination as smtp.saix.net, but using a different hostname (than smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net) means TelkomInternet can't easily ensure that you always get the right server (if and when they decide to change anything).

    Dialup customers should use smtp.telkomsa.net.

    Authentication is available on smtp.telkomsa.net, for users who use different access providers, you may want to enable authentication, and use this. This way, you can use the same settings whether you use dialup, DSL, or a 3rd-party access provider (e.g. 3G/HSDPA).

    SSL is not currently available for POP3 or IMAP.
    Give me a better reason to use smtp.dsl.telkomds.net and I may consider it. I'd rather use smtp.saix.net which has far less problems and I can use it on any SAIX account I please.

    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

    |GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster bekdik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I exist only in my own mind ...
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    smtp 25
    pop3 110

    Google smtp port will get the answer for you
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

  10. #10
    Grandmaster Smiley_lauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gauteng, South Africa
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    thanks it works now with 25/110

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    Give me a better reason to use smtp.dsl.telkomds.net and I may consider it. I'd rather use smtp.saix.net
    ????

    $ host smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net
    smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net is an alias for smtp.saix.net.
    smtp.saix.net has address 196.25.240.94

    which has far less problems and I can use it on any SAIX account I please.
    Since they have for the past 3 or so years pointed to the same IP address, I don't know what you're trying to imply here. At present, both would work identically. Don't know what you mean by "SAIX account" either ...

  12. #12
    Master of Messengers |tera|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    terra
    Posts
    20,655

    Default

    Past three years worked the same?

    That's a blatant lie on your part and I gather you work for Telkom.

    At the end of 2006 it was still impossible to use smtp.saix.net as your outgoing server on normal Telkom accounts as it required authentication, I know this, because I tried it.

    What's the problem in any case. If I choose to use smtp.saix.net (which I believe is faster than the other) what's the problem?

    If there is a problem, Telkom shouldn't allow it, but they have, so there is no problem.

    I like to make my own choices in life, so kindly accept that.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

    |GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

  13. #13
    Master of Messengers |tera|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    terra
    Posts
    20,655

    Default

    Patiently waiting until tomorrow when you post a reply: reminds me so much of bands who are one hit wonders
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

    |GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    If I choose to use smtp.saix.net (which I believe is faster than the other) what's the problem?
    No problem, but if you recommend to others to use it, you are setting them up for failure (if when the relaying policy on smtp.saix.net changes it, and ISPs update their own records to point to a working SMTP relay).

  15. #15
    Master of Messengers |tera|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    terra
    Posts
    20,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    No problem, but if you recommend to others to use it, you are setting them up for failure (if when the relaying policy on smtp.saix.net changes it, and ISPs update their own records to point to a working SMTP relay).
    Cool, I'd take that chance and let them know of it any case. Although I think it's a load of hogwash.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

    |GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •