Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparison between USB and PCMCIA Modem

Default Comparison between USB and PCMCIA Modem

Could someone please enlighten me what the pro's and con's of the USB and PCMCIA modems are?
    I contemplated getting a PCMCIA one for the laptop; for purpouses of being mobile. But upon reading of all the add-ons you get for the USB one I'm reconsidering. - Any advice?

PCM-blablabla is limited to laptop only, whereas the USB one can be used both for laptops (which has usb ports) and PC's, making it even more mobile :)

The modem has nice flashing lights, gorsh! [:p]

Nah, pccard can be used in a desktop with a bridge adapter (+-R400)

I'd like to see ping times with the PCMCIA, in theory it should get the best pings, since the device is linked straight into the system bus.

The only other problem with the pccard is linux drivers, I don't see ANY form of support for drivers on the ipwireless.com website [:(!]

--

any idea who makes the patch antenna's? I'd rather get them from overseas and courier it here within 3 days than rely on slowcomm to get them for me...

You can try these guys http://www.antenova.com/

They make the internal antennas for the ipwireless devices

--

Can one get a patch antenna for the PCMCIA card? I know you are able to get antennas for the standard wi-fi cards. I don't really want to log another pice of equipment around in the notebook bag - there's enough junk in there already. but I don't want to lose out just because of a crappy signal.
    I know the USB modem is small and has batteries too. but still I'll need to lug around the following: PSU, Modem, USB cable. *sigh*

So what I basically need to know: can i mount a patch antenna on my car (example) and wire the PCMCIA modem to that?

Just thought of another alternative: can one buy a seperate USB modem and use that? Just move your sim card between devices? or would that be impractical? or impossable? [?][?][?]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'd like to see ping times with the PCMCIA, in theory it should get the best pings, since the device is linked straight into the system bus.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ethernet connection should be just as good. PCMCIA is a more fragile system, a lot more complexity involved there. In addition, the stand-alone unit probably has better power than the PCMCIA unit (although that's just idle speculation). I would personally go with the USB unit, using an Ethernet cable; if you ever want to plug it into a desktop computer, then you won't need to fork out for an adapter, and there are less things that can go wrong :P

<hr noshade size="1">mithrandi, i Ainil en-Balandor, a faer Ambar

Guys, 2 questions:

Someone asked if the SIM card could be moved between the devices. This is a good question, becasue I'd like to keep my modem at home and then go walkies with my laptop now & again. I know Sentech won't sell you both devices with one account.

Next question, why do Fastcomm offer a car "charger"? Are there batteries in this modem that I don't know about? Or are they just incompetant in their web descriptions?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beerygaz</i>
    Next question, why do Fastcomm offer a car "charger"? Are there batteries in this modem that I don't know about? Or are they just incompetant in their web descriptions?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes- the modem has an internal battery.

And it lasts about 45 min, I don't know if it works the same as a cell battery, if you let it die and charge it again if it lasts longer.

Kewl little device, I just wish it had an LCD display telling me which base station it was receiving from, that way, I can maybe avoid placing the modem towards the INACTIVE base station in my area.... [:o)]

HI Peeps

I have no idea hwhat the wifi stuff is all i know its for wireless networking or not ? i want to try telkoms Tzone stuff out but they say u need this 802.11b (WiFi) thing wil that work on my pc or is it only for Laptop's ? and if it works on Desktop pc's will i be able to connect to Sentech with it or does Sentech do something to these stuff so u can connect to them ?

oh yea is 802.11b (WiFi) the same as PCMCIA ? i really dont know these stuff thx

will this work for telkom or Sentech ? http://www.dartek.com/ItemDetails/index.cfm?OSC=628&afid=1181&ItemNo=82833
    Rayy

Rayy,

PCMCIA is a PC bus, it's got nothing todo with Wifi (not directly). It's the slot that you see on laptops where you plug in expansion cards like modems, network cards etc.

802.11b is the 2.4GHz wireless lan standard, this is what Telkom use for it's tzone, however, it's not the same technology that Sentech use for MyWireless, so you won't be able to connect to Sentech with a wifi card. Sentech runs on the 2.5-2.7 GHz range.

--

Noone,

The battery is Lithium Ion, so it shouldn't require to be run down, infact, research have shown li-on batteries to perform better if they're kept "topped up" [:)]

--

Thx flashvc

but if i can buy a (2G/P1A) 1-Slot PCI-PCMCIA Adapter as on http://www.mt.lv/interfaces.php and then buy a pcmcia card thing will this work for telkom and sentech with a pcmaia card 2.4-2.7 GHz range ?

Rayy

Hi,

Nope, it's two completely different technologies. They're not compatible at all, you'll need a wifi card and an ipwireless card, and if you have only one slot, you will only be able to use one at a time...

--

oh lol

Srry if im bugging u but i found something else if i can get a 2 in 1 thing say like its a wireless network card and its a modem will that work ok its nopt 1 that u can put in a laptop Pic of what im talking about http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures its what telkom needs and what sentech needs but how do u know what GHz sentech uses im just wondering and u get 1 when u sighn up at sentech im just want to know if it will work b/c i dont know these stuff at all
    will that slot thingie work ??

i dont want a desktop modem but if that 1 works in that pic ill use that and the 1 sentech give's me i have 2 pc's and the other thing with the desktop modem u get a sim car or what ?? and if u do how the hek does the pcmcia thing work (dail if it dails) to make a connection

i just like to ask stuped stuff btw i like to learn new things thx
    and a other thing i saw Neko asked if u can get a patch antenna for the pcmcia card thing i looked it up and i dont see nothing but im sure u will get 1for it for ppl like me who ant in a coverage aria

Rayy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast