Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Neotel FAQ – Devices

Default Neotel FAQ – Devices

Is the NeoConnect Prime device unique in the world?

The NeoConnect Prime device is the first of its kind in the world – a desktop wireless phone with high-speed Internet access based on CDMA EV-DO. It was designed by Neotel to replace a separate wireline phone and Internet modem, whilst adding SMS and several other features, and being entirely portable. Other types of devices using the features of the network will be available in future.

Is it possible to download the drivers and manuals for NeoConnect and NeoFlex from the web site?

The Neotel Consumer portal has a support tab linking to pages where drivers and manuals are can be downloaded: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/view/neotel/en/page49587

Note that a driver is only needed for NeoFlex Data if the device is used as a USB modem. When connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, no driver is required.

Are Windows drivers available for NeoConnect Lite, NeoConnect Prime and NeoFlex Data?

NeoConnect Lite: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1710

NeoConnect Prime: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1903

NeoFlex Data: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1922 Note that a driver is only needed for NeoFlex Data if the device is used as a USB modem. When connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, no driver is required.

Are Apple Mac drivers available for NeoConnect Lite, NeoConnect Prime and NeoFlex Data?

NeoConnect Lite: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1873

NeoConnect Prime: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1799

NeoFlex Data: Not yet available. Note that a driver is only needed for NeoFlex Data if the device is used as a USB modem. When connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, no driver is required.

Are Linux drivers available for NeoConnect?

A Linux driver is available for NeoConnect Prime.

Go to: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/view/neotel/en/page54262

Credits:
    http://www.grobister.co.za/viewentry...4prfq9mno61u02
    http://feed.bitcortex.co.za/node/9
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?p=1950834

Can one use any other (third party) devices on the Neotel CDMA network?

Technically, yes, but not yet. CDMA2000 is an open, interoperable and backwards-compatible wireless standard, and there are literally thousands of devices available globally. However, many wireless operators choose to control which devices are allowed on their networks. Neotel has chosen to offer a limited range of devices to date – specifically the NeoConnect Prime and Lite devices, and NeoFlex Voice and Data devices. More will become available over time.

Do devices on Neotel’s CDMA network use RUIMs (SIMs)?

Removable Universal Identity Modules (RUIMs) are the CDMA equivalent of SIMs (and look just the same). Most CDMA2000 devices (e.g. NeoConnect and NeoFlex) can support RUIMs, but Neotel has chosen to launch without them, since it currently has the only CDMA network in the country. The identity of the device is instead embedded in the device itself in the form of an equipment number. This also means that you can only use a device supplied by Neotel.

What happens if the device is struck by lightning, stolen or damaged?

Upon signing the Neotel agreement the device immediately becomes the responsibility of the consumer and hence the user is liable for insurance related costs – as per the Terms and Conditions.

What must I do if the device is faulty?

If the device is faulty, please contact the Neotel contact centre on 0800 333 NEO (0800 333 636) and report the fault. A Neotel agent will assess your fault and determine the correct course of action.

Can I get a device that will let me re-use my existing (analogue) phone?

Yes. NeoFlex Voice provides a single analogue voice line that can be used with a standard phone.

Can I get cordless phone extensions on Neotel?

Yes. A cordless phone can be plugged into the analogue voice line on NeoFlex Voice.

Does Neotel offer Internet-only devices?

Yes. NeoFlex Data provides a multi-user Internet-only service at 3.1 Mbps download, 1.8 Mbps upload, with Ethernet (LAN) and Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) connectivity.

Widely different form factors of devices are probable in future, and packages with different mixes of voice, SMS and Internet.

Does Neotel offer voice-only devices?

Yes. NeoFlex Voice is a voice-only device that provide an analogue telephone line.

NeoConnect Lite, which supports voice, SMS and Internet, is available with a “home phone” package, intended for voice-only use.

Can NeoConnect or NeoFlex provide a connection to an alarm company?

Alarm companies make use of various mechanisms to connect to a house, including dedicated radio networks, mobile networks, and modems on telephone lines. The current NeoConnect and NeoFlex devices and similar CDMA devices can carry the data that would be required, but have not yet been applied to such an application. Neotel would be happy to talk to any alarm company that would be prepared to do the integration work necessary to offer such a service.

Do the NeoConnect devices have a battery? How long will the battery last?

Yes. NeoConnect devices are battery powered, and can be used for several hours without recharging, and have a standby time of several days, just like mobile phones.

Does the NeoFlex Data device have a battery? How long will the battery last?

The NeoFlex Data device does come with a battery backup. Typically the device should operate for between two and two and a half hours when disconnected from the mains, depending on the amount of users.

What are the two pairs antenna for on the NeoFlex Data device?

The larger pair of aerials is for connection to the Neotel network, and the smaller pair is for the Wireless LAN.

What is the warranty on the NeoFlex Data device?

The device comes standard with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
    Last edited by Neotel; 25-01-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Update

I guessed these guides answered most of the questions...

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neotel View Post
    Are Apple Mac drivers available for NeoConnect Prime?

Neotel will shortly have Mac OS X drivers available for NeoConnect Prime.

Are Linux drivers available for NeoConnect Prime?

Not yet, but volunteers are welcome to assist.
    If the device was an Ethernet device, then there would be no need for drivers.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    If the device was an Ethernet device, then there would be no need for drivers.
    Now now, don't get too technical

It seems that there are linux drivers available for this device. It's not official neotel branded, and I doubt they will support it, but you can use PPP and the usbsacm driver.

Then configure PPP more or less the same as you would for a normal PPP / 3G connection.

I don't have a device yet, so can't confirm.

The phone/modem should use the Universal Serial Bus Communication Device Class Abstract Control Model (USB CDC ACM) driver

Code:
    modprobe acm
    To get a /dev/ttyACMx device

the rest can be done like mentioned above by appel

resident of 172.16.0.0/12, 172.16.6.200/29 street

We've checked this already, device is not a recognized device so no driver gets autoloaded nor any device nodes created. That was some time ago though, and I haven't had chance since then to ssh to my friend's box to fiddle and see if I can add the correct stuff to the acm module. But still, Neotel made a very stupid mistake releasing it as a USB device. They chased away a lot of potential customers in doing so.
    http://froztbyte.net
    http://www.wug.za.net - Because you just can't stop the signal
    http://glug.org.za

Grandmaster

Does the Neotel NeoConnect service offer a dedicated IP?
    Aan Wat Dink Jy Nie?
    50% off first month @ Afrihost

Quote Originally Posted by Neotel View Post
    <SNIP>
    Can NeoConnect provide a connection to an alarm company?

Alarm companies make use of various mechanisms to connect to a house, including dedicated radio networks, mobile networks, and modems on telephone lines. The current NeoConnect device and similar CDMA devices can carry the data that would be required, but have not yet been applied to such an application. Neotel would be happy to talk to any alarm company that would be prepared to do the integration work necessary to offer such a service.
    What these alarm systems normally need is a simple fxs port (or have i got fxs and fxo mixed up again) - nothing fancy....

Default Linux Community

Not all the devices are behaving correctly on Linux, so it would appear that we need something specific written for this "special" devices of Neotel.

Quote Originally Posted by chubster View Post
    If not, here is way to assign someone to develop the driver for you. You of course will have to work with them like a community usually does, providing information, feedback etc... Neotel are you reading this!?
    It would be great if Neotel can work with LinuxDriverProject.org and get it working the way it was meant to be. Creating this driver would make small d-link type routers also cable of connecting via the usb modem with a future firmware update, since most of them are running Linux anyway.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Will Neotel allow rev0 devices to be exchanged for revA devices when they become available?

Is it just me or has the rep stopped responding?

I ask the age-old question once again...when will we have ethernet modems with a data-only package?

Is it so hard to get an official response?...even a ballpark figure?

(and no I don't consider the "some guy in the technical department of Neotel told me we will get revA and data-only packages by October" an official response)
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Is it just me or has the rep stopped responding?

I ask the age-old question once again...when will we have ethernet modems with a data-only package?

Is it so hard to get an official response?...even a ballpark figure?

(and no I don't consider the "some guy in the technical department of Neotel told me we will get revA and data-only packages by October" an official response)
    everything in the company seems to be "top secret".

The overall performance with regards to coverage, devices, response and all the other things which go towards making a viable offering, Neotel is a non-option for me, much as I would prefer not to have to deal with Telkom.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Default Neotel

Quote Originally Posted by sunsoffun View Post
    everything in the company seems to be "top secret".
    The last I was told neotel were still testing the Ethernet device. This was end of Nov 08.

My gut feel is that they probably are ready to go, but they want to get rid of as many USB devices as possible. Because apart from the fact that what, 70-80% of new customers will want Ethernet not USB devices, they might offer a swap-out plan to existing customers too.

So in the end, they could end up with a truckload of USB devices, and given they are so new that would not be a financially sound idea.

Hopefuly they can make some plan. I'm using my USB happily with Winroute and probably a few others with Linux Firewalls/Routers but the majority would probably want ethernet to plug into their wifi routers.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast