Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prisoners want DSTV in their cells

Default Prisoners want DSTV in their cells

A group of prisoners at Durban's Westville Prison, bored with the television they are allowed to watch, have applied to have DStv installed in their cells.

A prison official, who asked not to be named, said 12 inmates of Westville's Medium B section put in a formal request to have the digital channels late last month.

"They said they would pool money to pay for the subscription - and had the support of other inmates," he said.

The application comes after religious organisations earlier this year applying to install their Christian and learning channels free in prisons to help rehabilitate prisoners.

God TV's Siona Wewitz said the channel had been installed at Pollsmoor and several other prisons.

Prison officials said they would not consider allowing normal DStv channels, but were meeting religious groups, including the Prison Broadcasting Ministries, to thrash out how the religious and learning channels would work.

KwaZulu-Natal Correctional Services spokesperson Thami Zondi said his department would oppose the DStv application. "Our aim is to rehabilitate offenders, not allow them to view Movie Magic and adult movies.

"Offenders must concentrate on their rehabilitation programmes so they can get parole, then go out and watch whatever they like," he said.

Dennis Bloem, chairperson of parliament's correctional services portfolio committee, said prisoners were already getting too many privileges. His committee was against extending normal DStv channels to prisoners.

"If we allow DStv in prisons, they will become holiday resorts," said Bloem.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...3651873C533435

Now this REALLY pi$$e$ me off! What's next.. Playstation? They should be punished and made to watch only religious channels and old re-runs of MacGyver.

oh hell no!!! then they would want Prison Break too.

Super Grandmaster

It depends on how serious the crimes were. These were medium security but what about
    minimun security prisoners - eg tax evaders? ie Non-violent criminals whose prisons
    probably resemble work camps already? Do we have such in SA?
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Blog Entries

they should make them watch Parliamentary Channel live...

one set of criminals keeping watch on another!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    one set of criminals keeping watch on another!
    "Welcome to Prisneyland, Fish."

Banned

12 hours of religious broadcasting on the happy clappy channels? I'd kill myself in my cell.

Edit: The guilt of not being able to donate mountains of money for a miracle to set me free would be just too much
    Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-08-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goFLY View Post
    Prison officials said they would not consider allowing normal DStv channels, but were meeting religious groups, including the Prison Broadcasting Ministries, to thrash out how the religious and learning channels would work.

KwaZulu-Natal Correctional Services spokesperson Thami Zondi said his department would oppose the DStv application. "Our aim is to rehabilitate offenders, not allow them to view Movie Magic and adult movies.
    Seems unfair, allowing one type of fiction but not another.

Super Grandmaster

They should be allowed these -

Entertainment: The Waltons, or Little House on the Prairie

Sport: Bowls and Dressage

That's all.

If they watch these every day for a year they get 2 years off their sentence.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

Well said.

What are these @rseholes bitching about? they already have DSTV. Deadly Sexually Transmitable Diseases in their cells.

They should be forced to watch 3 Talk, a few soapies and Yo tv. with promises of more of the same if they ever commit another crime.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit of a harda** but who'd want prisoners spending all day in their cell watching DSTV?

****that! They're in prison because they committed a crime! A small crime is punished via a small sentence IE: community hours, suspended sentence etc. If your in prison, then your crime has harmed others : monetarily, psychologically or physically. Bring back the work gangs and the community projects. Make them build schools, clean up the streets or something. Hell, to rehabilitate them , teach them a skill like being a mechanic or brick laying and make it part of their every day routine IE: mechanic services government vehicles etc.

Fine to have a limited DSTV that the wardens allow prisoners to watch after a hard days work, current affairs etc like the news. Prisoners complaining that the public broadcaster is not good enough? Something is definitely wrong with our prison system if that is all they have to worry about.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Grandmaster

Prison is a punishment, it's supposed to suck. I don't even have DSTV.

Sure - give them DSTV - they can have Botswana and cartoon channels only

Hell - I can't afford DSTV, why should they get it. Maybe I should go to prison, 3 meals a day, a free roof over your head and now DSTV! I wonder if they have XBOX/PS3's planned next.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    *Sigh*

There's one in every forum.
    My Personal Website << Work in progress!!

I still maintain that non-violent criminals (irrespective of the level of crime, be it shop-lifting or pension fraud worth millions) should be offered the choice to work in areas where their skills or labour are useful.
    For example, a doctor that was arrested for tax evasion can do work at a government hospital in lieu of jail time. A woman with no skills who shop-lifted some clothing can go work on a "Kibbutz" type farm in some rural area. And so on.
    Why do we as a society think that "paying your debt to society" need involve sitting in a cell?
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast