Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: TV Reception

Default TV Reception

I didn't know where to put this so threw it here lol
    I have an old TV in my room, only analogue input nothing else, but the reception quality on SABC 2,3 and eTV is very bad, ironically SABC 1 the channel with the most rubbish, which i never watch is fine...
    Anyways, i have tried many things but none work, the ariel signal comes from the roof antenna which goes to the main TV in the lounge and all the channels there are perfectly clear, but then somewhere in the roof it splits to some box and then comes to my room where the signals bad, if i use a single piece of wire and connect my TV to the cable from the roof it improves a bit, but still snowy. It seems that when the earth sheath is connected its very bad. I have moved my TV to the lounge where it gets crystal clear signal as well, as soon as its back in my room bad signal.
    Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong?

My question really is if the TV in the lounge is perfectly fine and has such good signal, how come the TV in my room which uses the exact same ariel have such bad signal.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by PseudZ View Post
    I didn't know where to put this so threw it here lol
    I have an old TV in my room, only analogue input nothing else, but the reception quality on SABC 2,3 and eTV is very bad, ironically SABC 1 the channel with the most rubbish, which i never watch is fine...
    Anyways, i have tried many things but none work, the ariel signal comes from the roof antenna which goes to the main TV in the lounge and all the channels there are perfectly clear, but then somewhere in the roof it splits to some box and then comes to my room where the signals bad, if i use a single piece of wire and connect my TV to the cable from the roof it improves a bit, but still snowy. It seems that when the earth sheath is connected its very bad. I have moved my TV to the lounge where it gets crystal clear signal as well, as soon as its back in my room bad signal.
    Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong?

My question really is if the TV in the lounge is perfectly fine and has such good signal, how come the TV in my room which uses the exact same ariel have such bad signal.

Thanks in advance
    You'll probably find that the earth and core are touching somewhere along the line, probably in the splitter in the ceiling. I'd suggest checking that first. if still no luck try replacing the splitter then the cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Ok thanks, i will try that, long climb into the roof lol
    So it should in theory work, provided the box and the cable are fine?

Blog Entries

You might also try one of those cheapie "setback" ampliefiers that you can buy from Game. Once you have checked that the cable is split properly and not cross-linked, then get one of those boosters.

Blog Entries

remember also that splitting the aerial degrades performance on both lines. Get a separate aerial if you can.

sorry guys maybe you can tell me why if i tape a video show on my video machine and then watch another channel i get the soundtrack coming through of the movie being taped.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudZ View Post
    Ok thanks, i will try that, long climb into the roof lol
    So it should in theory work, provided the box and the cable are fine?
    Yes. You know the TV is fine.

The thing is splitting the cable straight from the aerial is pretty old school. It's not very professional and predates VCRs and MNET decoders and what have you. So I'm guessing the installation is either ancient or a DIY job.
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    You might also try one of those cheapie "setback" ampliefiers that you can buy from Game. Once you have checked that the cable is split properly and not cross-linked, then get one of those boosters.
    Not going to help if its split straight from the aerial. Unless he has a handy plug point in the ceiling.

Or is it actually splitting from the lounge PseudZ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Not going to help if its split straight from the aerial. Unless he has a handy plug point in the ceiling.
    Then get a masthead amplifier.... or run new cabling from the split point.

Not exactly sure as it was all set up when we moved in 4 years ago with one cable used in the lounge one in my room. Only recently got a TV in my room.
    I think there are 2 cables from the roof ariel going into the roof, then im not sure where they go but i know there is a box in the roof which seems to be attached to the cable that comes to my room. I think the one cable goes directly to the lounge TV and the other to the box, then to mine, i could be mistaken.