Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 350D ... any good?

Grandmaster

Default EOS 350D ... any good?

Guys,

As you know I am in the market for an entry level dSLR.

I am used to Sony P&S cams as well as the Canon S5/G9 models.

I have google this to bits any cant really make up my mind whether or not to go for this. I have been offer a Canon EOS 350D for a good price.

Comes with body and 18-55mm lens, 2 GB CF card and case for a good price seeing that it is discontinued.

Is this camera any good?

My purchasing criteria is quality of camera and size. If the Sony A 200 was not so big and fitted better in my hands, I would get that from Makro.

Please advise - I need to make a decision my tomorrow (Thurs).

Your cyber friend,
    sdd

Grandmaster

Side note:

Damn !!! - dSLR have definitely gone the way that PC components are (read graphics cards and CPU's) ... seems like the marketers have managed to pull the carpet from under our feet ... every 6 months theres a newer better model.

Super Grandmaster

Yes, it's a good camera. Maybe it doesn't have all the whizz-bang features of current models, but it takes good pictures, and has everything you need to get your started.

Grandmaster

I am a bit old fashioned ... and the old school LCD at the back is my kind of thing. I wish the screen was a bit larger though - eyes are not as good as they used to be.

There is also another two offered and that is the Nikon D40 and the D40x both a bit more expensive.

Oh, btw, I found this thread quite useful ... http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=10360

the d40 has a superb screen
    way better than that canon

Quote Originally Posted by ldmelsa View Post
    the d40 has a superb screen
    way better than that canon
    You're dSLR-less - Why dont you get one?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster

Hmm, 350D vs D40 - I'd have a hard look at the latter.

Grandmaster

He brought me the EOS 350D to use for tonight. Feels ok in my hands. The Nikon D40 felt better when I fondled it at Makro.

I will see what price he can do the Nikon for ... in the end I think it will boil down to how the camera feels in my hands. From the responses so far I understand both to be capable cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
    He brought me the EOS 350D to use for tonight. Feels ok in my hands. The Nikon D40 felt better when I fondled it at Makro.

I will see what price he can do the Nikon for ... in the end I think it will boil down to how the camera feels in my hands. From the responses so far I understand both to be capable cameras.
    I almost got a 350D as a backup when I broke my 400D but in the end figured it was missing too many features compared to the 400D (including sensor cleaning) . . . . then again so is the Nikon.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

I bought the Pentax K10D a few years back..awesome camera...still not sure of all the settings
    Oh, Pentax has image stabilizer on the body of the camera. Canon does'nt. You need a Lens with image stabiliser for that. (very expensive!)

Edit: sorry K10D not the Nikon D40
    Last edited by spiderz; 27-08-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    "Don't be in a hurry, Death will find you." - spiderz, 16/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by spiderz View Post
    I bought the Pentax D40 a few years back..awesome camera...still not sure of all the settings
    Oh, Pentax has image stabilizer on the body of the camera. Canon does'nt. You need a Lens with image stabiliser for that. (very expensive!)
    Pentax doesnt make a D40. . . do they?
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    You're dSLR-less - Why dont you get one?
    Because I'm having too much fun with the EOS3.

Banned

I have a 350D and can confirm that it's a very capable camera - I don't know the Nikon so cant offer any comparison.

I found that the kit lens needed ideal conditions to deliver quality images, and no longer use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I found that the kit lens needed ideal conditions to deliver quality images, and no longer use it.
    Yours might have been a dud. Mine works wonderfully well.

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast