Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Japanese Imported car from Botswana

Default Buying a Japanese Imported car from Botswana

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Mercedes A160 (Japanese Import) from Botswana for a ridiculously low price.
    I know there were a few people wondering how this process works.
    It's worth very cent and definately the way to go.
    I can help!

Master

Is it true that you need relatives living or working in that country to register the vehicle for you?
    This space is available for advertising. Contact me for pricing.

Warranty, service parts, replacement windscreens - only some of the little niggles that remind you why it was so cheap.

In order to have the vehicle registered in your name in Botswana after you have bought it (which is possible if youre a RSA citizen) you need an address.
    I'm in Botswana for about 3 months of the year as my parents stay there.
    You need to have the car registered in your name with a Botswana registration for at least 2 years before you can register it in SA,in which case you will need to pay 10% of the value of the vehicle at the time of new registration.

Cars dont come with FSH and of course no warranty....
    ...but I got my Mercedes A160 in perfect condition for 40 000 Pula (plus minus R50 000)

I am actually going to be bringing a few cars in for friends.
    Will register the car in their name with my Botswana address.

Master

Where can we see what cars are available? Any links?

Don't worry, they'll close up this loophole very soon.

Master

^That's why we need to hurry!

Will try and get a web address for you.
    Not too sure as I went up there and literally spent weeks looking for the best deals.
    Singapore cars are generally not good buys as over there cars are only alowed to be driven for 5 years at which point they have to be sold(or exported). This means the cars usually have high mileage (200 000 km or more). People in Singapore more often then not turn back the clocks...and when it arrives in Botswana...the clocks are often turned back again too.
    Japanese cars on the other hand are only allowed to be driven for 2 and a half years which means lower mileage.
    Getting auction papers helps to check these kind of things but I only got to see them as they were in the car when I first drove it (had just come off the ship).
    There are a lot of Pajeros,Mecedes,toyota...pretty much everything but nothing that has only just come out as these are the cars that will be driven there (Japan) for 2 and a half years before they reach Bots
    Hope this helps.

This is not illegal. My sister and I have both been drivng Botswana registered vehicles for the past 6 years.
    As long as it has valid papers and up to date disks.
    You can get insurance for these cars as well as have them serviced at major dealerships.

yup, got quite a few cars, but imported straight from jap then registered in bots. For my next car I'll probably just go to bots and buy straight from there.

Grandmaster

sound awesome! please find us a link !
    Trouble with Windows - re boot
    Trouble with Linux - be Root

This whole Botswana thing just doesn't seem right. Soon enough the local motor industry will start to bitch about this smuggling- which is what it is.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by brixton tower View Post
    This whole Botswana thing just doesn't seem right. Soon enough the local motor industry will start to bitch about this smuggling- which is what it is.
    Well the local motor industry have been ripping us off for years so they deserve some of their own medicine. I mean how can a car that is produced here cost less in Australia than we pay for it here? They are robbing us, I feel nothing for them.

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast