Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cost of broadband

Default Cost of broadband

Cost of broadband

THE cost of broadband connectivity in SA is likely to come down by 10% to 20% a year, but will never be as low as in countries like the UK and US, regardless of the level of competition in the market.

Master

So with all the promises of cheap broadband in the future, now the rhetoric starts about why we should continue to be ripped off!

One of course always hopes that all the ISP's are greedy enough to think they can garner more market share than is viable, the resulting over capitalisation is bound to force markups to the bone.

The drawback though would be the eventual rationalisation of the market leading to consolidation and back to a world where the big players rule the roost at pricing terms they a comfortable with.

D

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

this is totally unaceptable! it's down right robbery!
    Telkom: "Resistance is futile, your money is ours!"

SA is likely to come down by 10% to 20% a year
    Likely...

Well, it didnt come down this year, so much for that idea.

Datapro has been getting worse over the years, i wouldn't recommend them for much.
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

I disagree. The prices should drop quite a lot with thelanding of a few new submarine cables as well as the ruling about the individual licences. This will force a quick drop at first and might stabilize. If anything, your bandwidth should drop at least. Connectivity rental is another story but will have to follow suit or go bang
    Motorcyclists SA - home of bike clubs Motorcyclists SA
    Biker Social Community Biker Social Network

Thumbs down

The promise that competition will bring down prices I yet want to see...
    Neotel came in and instead of redefining the pricing structure, stuck by the "screw you cap model". Simply adjusted their prices on par with Helkom. I yet want to see a single drop in adsl prices due to them..
    Maybe with this Altech business someone will pierce the darkness, be brave and offer affordable bandwidth way below the competition.

a year ago:
    Neotel: "Prices should be a quarter that its now"
    Infarco: Prices should be 5% of what its now"
    Promises promises promises....
    Telkom, your atrocities we will remember.

Wugger

He he he he. All I see is someone that wants to create the illusion that prices must stay high.

However, fixed-line infrastructure is limited in SA and it is unlikely that more copper and fibre will be laid between the operators’ backbone networks and the home, as has happened in developed markets.
    I guess we can say goodbye to Vox. Does he actually want us to stay a third world country?
    "You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes..."

Thumbs down Get on with it!

What does Douglas Reed know ...Why have capacity for sum serious bandwidth and then starve people to death, it dont make sense to me.

why does he assume that we dont have enough demand for broadband in SA. Has he been to Varsity labs and seen the frustration on students face cos their downloads are taking for ever and the got a 230 MB daily cap ?

Its madness, stop all this articles from so called experts and researchers. Its the same story day in and day out, YAWN *Smacks the monitor for now reason*
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaib View Post
    I have trouble listening to cricket commentary being given by a girl. It's just wrong. Like kissing your sister it feels odd.

Blog Entries

He says one of the factors inhibiting the take-up of ADSL and wireless broadband connectivity is that users need a PC.
    Thanks to Mr Whatshisname from Vox. Now I get it! In order to use the internet, I need a PC. Wow!

THE cost of broadband connectivity in SA is likely to come down by 10% to 20% a year, but will never be as low as in countries like the UK and US, regardless of the level of competition in the market.
    Seriously though, the landscape has just changed with the recent court ruling and the imminent landing of SEACOM. We will see a much bigger drop in prices than that. And that's for you, Mr Reed! The days of companies screwing us and then sharing nonsensical views about broadband are over.

Reed says multifunctional mobile phones that have 3G, Wi Fi and WiMAX capabilities could boost broadband internet users in the local market...
    That is right! Isn't it? If people cannot afford PC's let them use those fancy phones! Sounds a lot like Marie Antoinette to me. Anyway, people can afford pc's, considering that a P3 is sold for about R700-00. If someone cannot afford that, then he clearly cannot afford internet, period.
    Last edited by brilliantt; 02-09-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Eish.... yet another promise....
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

Grandmaster

“There are only about 2million PC internet users in the country and we need to get to 20-million to bring prices down significantly.”
    So he sets an absolutely impossible target on purpose so that he can keep prices high...

First they say that prices should be so much cheaper and things are expensive because of Telkom and the SAT3 cable and now it is because we don't have enough subscribers???!! If we do manage to hit the 20 million mark there will be another excuse like the weak Rand or the fact that the sky is blue...

Grandmaster

<inserts sad face>
    Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast