Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Instant HSDPA hotspot

Default Instant HSDPA hotspot

Instant HSDPA hotspot

MTN ready to launch affordable HSDPA/HSUPA wireless gateway

Default Short Review

I played around with the Huawei B970 today and the device does exactly what you expect of it. Setup is very easy and it ‘just works’. It looks good too – a nice glossy black surface. I think it will leave fingerprint marks when handled often, but I guess wiping it with a cloth will restore its glory

I did a few speed tests as well:
    Downlink typically between 1 Mbps and 1.5 Mbps.
    Uplink between 600 Kbps and 1 Mbps

For basically the same price as a HSPA modem like the Huawei E272 it is priced particularly well. From what I have heard the R 2000 – 2500 price is about half of what it was only a few months ago.

In my opinion this is a very suitable device if you want to connect your home or SME office quickly and will not use much data.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    I did a few speed tests as well:
    Downlink typically between 1 Mbps and 1.5 Mbps.
    Uplink between 600 Kbps and 1 Mbps
    What about the pings? is it more stable than the 3G/HSDPA network?
    Knowledge is Power
    GA-Z77X-UD5H-WIFI→Intel i7 3770K→4x4G DDR3 2400Mhz→GTX570→2x256GB SSD Raid-0→1000W PSU→ZALMAN RESERATORII CHASSIS

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

it does seem like its a good idea, i am sure i have seen a similar product having like 3g adsl and other bits bundled in somewhere
    Telkom: "Resistance is futile, your money is ours!"

Nice.Neotel take note.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by rph72 View Post
    Nice.Neotel take note.
    Too true. Too true. This would have been an absolutely ideal product for them to have come out with from the beginning.

Now if MTN's network actually worked....

Hoorah! This looks like a serious alternative to WiMax and, with a decent external antenna, perhaps even a serious alternative to ADSL.

Plug in a few IP phones and a poynting antenna and you can have an office up an running instantly with hosted switchboard, cheaper calls than Telkom, and Internet access included.

Now MTN just have to do something about those shocking out-of-bundle data rates. I don't see why, if my first 2GB can be 19c/MB, the excess should be R1.20. On the plus side, one should be able to use the analogue phone port on this device to load pre-paid airtime bundles without having to swap SIMs and without taking your data offline for more than a few seconds.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rph72 View Post
    Nice.Neotel take note.
    Quote Originally Posted by carudden View Post
    Too true. Too true. This would have been an absolutely ideal product for them to have come out with from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudZ View Post
    Now if MTN's network actually worked....
    +1 to each of you.

Default Only IF !

IF ONLY ,

Voice interconnection rates were 5c per minute To all networks.

Data out of bundle rates were 10c per megabyte.

VOIP were allowed over 3g.

Sms's were charged according to data rates. 1c per SMS.

MTN could rake in the $$$ and become a serious player in the fixed line business.

DxL - Mobile

Isn't this a bit pricey compared to something like the Linksys WRT54G3G Mobile Broadband router ? 4 ethernet ports, 1 Internet Wired port (For DSL/Cable connections) plus a PCMCIA slot for use with a Cellular Based PC Card data card of your choice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Isn't this a bit pricey compared to something like the Linksys WRT54G3G Mobile Broadband router ? 4 ethernet ports, 1 Internet Wired port (For DSL/Cable connections) plus a PCMCIA slot for use with a Cellular Based PC Card data card of your choice ?
    I think here one must look at the total cost of an HSDPA enabled device. If I am not mistaken there is quite a bit if IP costs attached to any HSPA/GSM device which must be factored into the total cost of the device.

"Instant hspa hotspot" ? wtf this ain't a femto cell its 3G router. This is Mtn's way of capturing the soho market with the convenience of a multiple broadband connection with voice. If only Mtn had wide hspa coverage instead of hotspoting areas & drop data prices they'd get more customers. Is it me or why do Mtn launch products before Vodacom with out any proper marketing of em. Interestingly enough in Singapore Umobile offers this router free with specific contracts. Speed wont be great unless you have a external antenna expect to add another R1000 just for it.

Grandmaster

Take note Neotel. It would be awesome if you could introduce something like this...

I think I'm gonna get myself one as soon as it's out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast