Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Most hijacked cars in South Africa?

Default Most hijacked cars in South Africa?

1. Where can I get information on the most commonly hijacked cars in SA?
    2. Do the police release these stats on a regular or irregular schedule, or do they only give this information if and as when they feel like it?

I am asking for this info because a colleague wants to get a BMW 2003 330ci, but she wants hijacking stats first. I said I'd ask the fountain of local knowledge that is this forum.

Try asking a car insurance company? I'm sure they could give you a better idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    And then there will be zero players!! DOOMED!!!!
    IQ-Test

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    1. Where can I get information on the most commonly hijacked cars in SA?
    2. Do the police release these stats on a regular or irregular schedule, or do they only give this information if and as when they feel like it?

I am asking for this info because a colleague wants to get a BMW 2003 330ci, but she wants hijacking stats first. I said I'd ask the fountain of local knowledge that is this forum.
    Thats an easy one, she must stay away from it, VERY popular that car.

As for the the most popular makes: Toyota, VW and BMW. Oh and Nissan 1400 are also high up there.

I would say golf (doesnt matter which one)

Stealing definitely the original Golf (MK1) without electronic keys. Apart from that, take advice regarding insurance companies. I have even heard that some of the insurance companies does not cover the original VW Golfs anymore.

Hi-jacking I would guess will be very random.

Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Hi-jacking I would guess will be very random.
    Crime in SA appears to me to mostly be organised.

Grandmaster

The most popular cars are the ones hi-jacked most often. Simple as that.

Your friend should be ok in a 330 Convertible, as convertibles and sports cars are hi-jacked less (due to them being quite flashy and easy to spot).

One would think a person who is terrified of highjacking wouldn't buy a convertible though.

Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    I have even heard that some of the insurance companies does not cover the original VW Golfs anymore.
    Correct

Banned

The Nissan 1400 bakkie is still one of the most targeted vehicles.

Some vehicle tracking companies declined to give a detailed breakdown of the types of vehicles popular for hijackings because only about 15 percent of the licensed vehicle population have tracking devices installed. Their statistics would, therefore, not give a true reflection of the situation in South Africa, they said.

However, the general consensus was that bakkies, entry-level sedans, luxury vehicles and 4x4s were popular targets. The South African Police Service concurred with these statistics.

Police spokesperson Phindile Radebe said Nissan 1400 bakkies, VW Golfs and 4x4s were the most common targets for hijackers.

Toyota Hi-Ace and Siyaya vehicles consistently top Altech Netstar's list of popular hijack and theft vehicles because of their attractiveness to the minibus taxi industry.

The company's regional manager for KwaZulu-Natal, John Taylor, said bakkies made by Toyota, Isuzu and Nissan were the next on the list. In particular, the Nissan 1400 bakkie was a common target, he said.

"This is the most basic vehicle you can buy on the South African market and is easy to break into... in some cases they are stolen for their parts but are also easily recycled because of their popularity," he said.

In the sedan category, VWs and Toyotas were "hot favourites", while luxury sedans and 4x4s were hijacked mainly as a result of "orders".

Taylor added that, in many instances, the age of the vehicle was not important because, apart from the luxury vehicle and 4x4 categories, most of these vehicles ended up in chop shops.

Gareth Crocker, a spokesperson for Tracker, said South Africa had a culture of people driving vehicles they were not able to maintain with original manufacturer parts, hence the lure of buying parts on the black market. This fuelled further thefts and hijackings.

Statistics from Matrix vehicle tracking showed that trucks and light delivery vehicles generally topped its list of most popular vehicle types stolen in the province.

Matrix's chief technical officer, Richard Timm, said trucks were mostly stolen for the cargo they carried.

Luxury 4x4s and new bakkies are most likely to be "exported" to Mozambique because of their capability of traversing rough terrain.

Among the least likely vehicles to be hijacked is the Hyundai brand, as there are not that many on the road compared with other brands. However, once the popularity of this vehicle grows, older vehicles could become targets.
    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...2722185C602511

EDIT : I'm now even happier that I just do not see the appeal in owning a 4x4 to drive on tar roads all day!

Blog Entries

Damn !!!

I sure am lucky for owning a Smart ForFour !!!!!

Woohoo !!!!
    Hubert H. Humphrey
    “Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.”

Thanks for that article LancelotSA.

Gareth Crocker, a spokesperson for Tracker, said South Africa had a culture of people driving vehicles they were not able to maintain with original manufacturer parts, hence the lure of buying parts on the black market. This fuelled further thefts and hijackings.
    Well, that's because OEM parts are so ridiculously expensive.
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Banned

Debbie, I like your sig... but a bit bloody annoying that the IEC website only works with IE!

Welcome to the IEC web site!

Our server detected that you are using a browser or operating system (e.g. Netscape, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.) which is currently incompatible with our website. The current website is only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer V4 (and upward) on the Windows operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Debbie, I like your sig... but a bit bloody annoying that the IEC website only works with IE!
    Yes, but as alistair otter says, the fact that they have such a message at least means that they are aware of the problem.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Can't go wrong with IE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast