Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Telkom's W-CDMA plans and coverage

Default Telkom's W-CDMA plans and coverage

My apologies if this information has already been posted before.

Here is an update concerning Telkom's W-CDMA services. Click on the link to see the coverage map. The initial 38 towers will be increased to 200 by March 2009 ...

http://www.telkom.co.za/common/about...ticle_967.html
    Last edited by Yotch; 03-10-2008 at 04:57 AM.

Default Where is the Coverage MAP ?

Where is the Coverage MAP ?

And why is this under WiMax?

How will this differ from Neotel's CDMA?

Hopefully no spikes...

Telkom changed the article.... heres' the original...

29 September 2008
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Telkom has deployed Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (W-CDMA), taking it a step closer towards enabling fully converged ICT solutions. W-CDMA is a Third Generation (3G) mobile technology that offers services like high-speed Internet access, video and high quality voice transmission. Telkom will initially focus on providing fixed-voice and fixed-mobile data and, in the near future, nomadic voice services. This offers customers choice and cost savings.

In announcing their core strategy of defending and growing revenues, Telkom also mentioned its ambitions to enter the fixed-mobile space with innovative product offerings. Pursuant to this strategic intent, the current piloting of W-CDMA voice services with selected customers is indicative of Telkom making good on its promise to provide this fixed-mobile service by end of September 2008. Fixed voice and fixed-mobile data services will be launched during October, with nomadic voice services becoming available later in the year. Telkom has appointed Huawei as a technology partner, to deploy its fixed-wireless and mobile data network on a turnkey basis. This speaks directly to the current capability management drive.

"Our revenues have been under significant pressure from declining voice services further impacted by the effects of copper cable theft. Three years ago, we announced we are investing in next generation network (NGN) based technologies to provide new generation customer services and products. It isn't about a single network but using various NGN technologies, such as W-CDMA, to provide customer-focused services", explains Motlatsi Nzeku, Telkom's Chief of Operations.

"Customers," added Nzeku, "are central to our core strategy, and we are addressing their needs by increased investment in customer centric technology that aims to enhance their experience with Telkom". He says that, telecommunications services are no longer just about innovative technologies, they are about matching these with customer demand, and this exciting new technology offers a unique response to customers' needs.

W-CDMA ensures sustained service assurance without relying on copper cables. For this reason W-CDMA will assist Telkom in satisfying a number of demands, including addressing the ongoing impact of cable theft. The technology is an alternative for areas where copper cables have been stolen and is also aligned to address areas where Telkom lacks a terrestrial access presence.

The W-CDMA voice services are at a customer pilot stage in Gauteng. There are currently 38 W-CDMA base stations within the Gauteng metropolitan area. Telkom plans to have in excess of 200 base stations by March 2009, primarily focusing on the Gauteng, Cape Town and Durban metropolitan areas.

W-CDMA based services would become available during October in the following areas:
    Johannesburg Aasvoelkop, Benoni, Birchleigh, Bryanston, Fourways, Checktown Building, Halfway House Exchange, Honeydew, Isando, Kelvin, Krugersdorp, Robertsham, Sunninghill Park, Sunward Park, Wadeville, Lenasia, New Doornfontein, Bapsfontein, Mainreef
    Pretoria Lukasrand, CSIR, Cable Hill, Midrand, Bashewa, Kameeldrif East & West, Erasmusrand, Voortrekkerhoogte, Highveld, Elarduspark, Soshanguve, Silverton, Cosmos, Themba, Fairfield, Pretoria North, Rosslyn
    Vereeniging Langerand
    View the Coverage Map
    "The Company is acutely aware that customers' forced migration to mobile services, has been one of the unintended consequences of service interruption due to copper cable theft and have imposed relatively higher costs to the data and telecommunication aspects of their day to day business. It is therefore our opinion that, since not everyone needs full mobility; and associated costs, cost-effective nomadic voice and data services will fit the requirements of many customers," concludes Nzeku.

W-CDMA is designed to address a clear need for increased cost effective mobility within the ICT sector. Telkom is on the move - here, there and everywhere.

@damian24: Many thanks for reposting that information. I find it very strange that Telkom appears to have removed the press release together with the coverage map a few hours after I posted it though. You don't perhaps have a copy of the coverage map also? Hopefully some of the other people looking at this thread managed to get a look before it was removed?

If anybody else has a copy of the coverage map please repost it. It would appear that Telkom doesn't want us to see it which is surely a good enough reason to repost it? I think the map was previously available at this link ...

http://www.telkom.co.za/pls/portal/d...teMaps_Key.pdf
    Last edited by Yotch; 04-10-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Grandmaster

Hmm. I think that this is going to be interesting. On the one hand I really, really hope that you will be able to buy data from ADSL ISPs for the Telkom wireless accounts. R69 a gig makes me shiver with delight.

I just don't know about the wisdom of trying to compete with the other boys in the mobile space. Telkom's one major advantage in my opinion is their fixed lines. When the copper gets stolen why not replace it with fibre if you are going to need to replace it anyway? Then slowly but surely you are building up a fibre to the home network that you can use to spank any competition into oblivion. The options with fibre are just so much greater. Instead they are creating a wireless network that is the same as all the others with no real differentiation. If they lower the prices the other guys just need to flick a switch to match the new Telkom prices. I am sad that Telkom are not going to be exploiting their fixed line network with its low latency, stable speeds and potential for higher speeds than the wireless guys can offer.

@pkid: Hopefully Telkom launches with a reliable 14.4Mbps ready network and much better pricing. If they get this right then I can see a large number of customers switching over. In Australia, Telstra, their equivalent of Telkom, has the largest and fastest HSDPA network which is presumably what Telkom would like to achieve in SA. On the other hand, Telkom could just throw away another golden opportunity ...

According to this link the Huawei E172 modem is already capable of download speeds of 14.4Mbps speeds and uploads of 5.76Mbps via a firmware upgrade.
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/674135
    Telstra claims that their network has been 14.4Mbps ready for quite some time and is planning to upgrade it to 20Mbps by the end of the year. Several of the European networks such as Mobilkom in Austria are also presumably 14.4Mbps ready.

Has anyone been able to recover the hastily withdrawn W-CDMA coverage map?
    Last edited by Yotch; 06-10-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    @pkid: Hopefully Telkom launches with a reliable 14.4Mbps ready network and much better pricing. If they get this right then I can see a large number of customers switching over. In Australia, Telstra, their equivalent of Telkom, has the largest and fastest HSDPA network which is presumably what Telkom would like to achieve in SA. On the other hand, Telkom could just throw away another golden opportunity ...

According to this link the Huawei E172 modem is already capable of download speeds of 14.4Mbps speeds and uploads of 5.76Mbps via a firmware upgrade.
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/674135
    Telstra claims that their network has been 14.4Mbps ready for quite some time and is planning to upgrade it to 20Mbps by the end of the year. Several of the European networks such as Mobilkom in Austria are also presumably 14.4Mbps ready.

Has anyone been able to recover the hastily withdrawn W-CDMA coverage map?
    Hopefully. I reckon it will take time though. I would still like to see them investing more in their wired network because we already have so many guys doing wireless in ZA. I wouldn't mind some more options in the cable space...

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    @pkid: Hopefully Telkom launches with a reliable 14.4Mbps ready mobility network and much better pricing. If they get this right then I can see a large number of customers switching over. In Australia, Telstra, their equivalent of mobile network security Telkom, has the largest and fastest HSDPA network which is presumably what Telkom would like to achieve in SA. On the other hand, Telkom could just throw away another golden opportunity ...

According to this link the Huawei E172 modem secure mobile network is already capable of download speeds of 14.4Mbps speeds and uploads of 5.76Mbps via a firmware upgrade.
    [
    Are you sure that the Huawei E172 modem is capable of download speeds of 14.4 mbps ? it seems slow to me.
    Last edited by jordanwells; 28-06-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Welcome to the forum and thanx for bumping an almost 3 year old thread.

anybody have any idea if there is any pricing structure available from Telkom?

Is there a rule that this thread be necrobromanced every 3 years?

10/10 to dpreezr for searching before posting.