Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Online purchases - Parcel lost/stolen at couriers

Default Online purchases - Parcel lost/stolen at couriers

Who is takes responsibility if this happens ?
    I think the retailer should take it up with the courier company in question and send you another product.

Reason i ask is i purchased a screen online and i see that they used UTI Sun couriers, now i have lost 3 computers while using their service, all of them were stolen at the joburg depo/warehouse floors.

I just hope the screen finds its way to me through all those dodgy hands.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by W@P View Post
    Who is takes responsibility if this happens ?
    I think the retailer should take it up with the courier company in question and send you another product.

Reason i ask is i purchased a screen online and i see that they used UTI Sun couriers, now i have lost 3 computers while using their service, all of them were stolen at the joburg depo/warehouse floors.

I just hope the screen finds its way to me through all those dodgy hands.
    IMHO the courier should be responsible for the costs and not you - but IANAL.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Super Grandmaster

Read the fine print. If extra insurance wasn't taken (and extra courier fees)
    then courier is not responsible.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Grandmaster

Yup. If it's not insured, you're out of luck. Stupid supplier if he continues to use them however...
    Regards,
    Chris.
    - NextGenNews, NNTP re-invented -
    South Africa's first commercial NNTP Service Provider

Super Grandmaster

Yes, which is shocking. You pay $$$ for a courier, you expect them to deliver the parcel safely (barring a natural disaster or a war). You'd think if their truck crashed or their warehouse collapsed or was robbed, they'd cover the loss (from their own insurers).
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Its R88 for the shipping, so my parcel is sent uninsured, if i wanted insurance i should ask for it otherwise they just send it normally.

From those 3 computers that got stolen at uti 1 was insured, the last one. they stole the first one and sent me a cheque for R100 because it was uninsured. The second was the same story and it got stolen so they sent me another cheque for R100. The third one was stolen but it was insured so they sent me a cheque for the insured amount.

Jus I hope my screen gets here, i have lost all faith in uti.

Super Grandmaster

If you paid by Credit card you could have your bank reverse the transaction.
    After all you did not get the goods you paid for. You could win.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Yes, which is shocking. You pay $$$ for a courier, you expect them to deliver the parcel safely (barring a natural disaster or a war). You'd think if their truck crashed or their warehouse collapsed or was robbed, they'd cover the loss (from their own insurers).
    Warehouse staff don't get paid much. R13.50P/HOUR.. I have seen okes steal a tooth brush and can of KOO beans... go figure...

ALWAYS TAKE OUT INSUARANCE FOR HIGH VALUE ITEMS

Super Grandmaster

Yes, but you'd expect a courier to police their own staff. If they can't they're worthless and shouldn't be used.

Secondly they should advise you on insurance by predeclaring the rate
    of theft at their facility beforehand. Think this should be in consumer
    law and couriers should be responsible for lost items. In real life they're
    not but UTI should be excluded from any further dealings with that Co
    and they should find a different courier. Maybe UTI deserves to go
    bankrrupt.

Well have you laid a charge of theft with the police?
    yeh yeh, our police are over worked and understaffed, but they will still look into it.
    There is a certain route a parcel goes so chase up the couriers, lay a charge of theft, then maybe they can track the leaky spot.
    Then how many thefts do you have to incure before paying insurance? Come on dude, 2% of the value at the most.

And then why keep using the same couriers is beyond me?

Lastly, correct, if paid by credit card, you can try and cancel (you have 6 months from purchase to do this on any transaction), because even though the shipper may be able to prove an outgoing waybill, there is no proof you have signed for or received goods, for all you know the shipper didn't even really send the goods..if there is no POD (proof of delivery) your bank will probably refund your money.

Quote Originally Posted by lived666 View Post
    .if there is no POD (proof of delivery) your bank will probably refund your money.
    my current project to implement ePOD solution with this kit