Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vodacom 3G Internet "dial up" number via bluetooth?

Default Vodacom 3G Internet "dial up" number via bluetooth?

Here is the story. I was using my phone to dial up to the net with a bluetooth connection but on mtn. Worked fine.

Now my mtn bundle is almost finished and i have another week or so to go before i recharge so i got a small vodacom data bundle.

So with my voda sim i follow the same process as mtn. No username, no password.
    Dial up number as
    *99**1# or
    *99#
    and another i cant remember now. Anyway none work. I was reading old forums etc about how the numbers are different for gprs and 3G but it hardly makes a difference as nothing works.

Anyone know what the exact dial up number or what im missing?

*99***1# for 3G using your cellphone

Tried that...still nothing.

Are you setting up a dial up manually in windows or using the software that came with the phone? What phone is it? Did you install the modem drivers for the handset?

how is it possible that i can get a speed of 404kbps from www.speedtest.net using
    my SE V800 3G phone ? i thought the max on 3G was 384kbps

Its a nokia n73. Im not using the nokia pc suite and its drivers (have to keep installing the drivers every so often). I use a bluetooth connection to connect the phone to the pc.

Panny PV7, I suggest you reask that question in a new thread so someone can have a look at it. Sometimes the speed tests aren't 100% accurate, I would try a few different ones and see if there are differences. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you're getting an extra 20kbs it's not really going to make a huge difference. In fact on Vodacom you can now get up to 1.8 kbps through a device that supports HSDPA and 3.6kbs which is a subscribed service

AR GTR, I think you need to enter this string +CGDCONT=,,"internet"
    in modem properties, advanced tab.

Nokia suite enters this for you.....

AR GTR, that is very unusual. I dial up using *99***# with my phone and modems vary currently dials *99***2#. I know that the number at the end depends on the type of device. But handset is definately 1 on the end.

The drivers issue is a common problem with Vista, not sure what operating system you're using.

We know it's not the handset because it's worked before.

I know some of these may sound like silly questions but it's best to ask them all to make sure we haven't missed something. Are you on contract or prepaid? If prepaid is there airtime in your account? Is your line enabled for data? Most are automatic nowadays but older contracts may not have been automatically enabled. Are you connecting the bluetooth before attempting the dial up? Although I'm sure you've got this one covered since you've used it before.

I have not attempted to use a dial up through my bluetooth yet, I just figured it would be a bit slow, but I'll give it a bash tonight and see if it works. The setup is fairly simple, just the dial up number required no username and password.

Vodacom3g is the guy to help you on this one if we can't figure this out. Not sure if his read this thread but maybe pop him a message unless one of the above has not been covered. Also 082155 are incredibly helpful. Not sure where you live, I stay in Cape Town and there are several stores in the area that have consultants dedicated to data.

PM me your cell number if you like (don't post in the thread) I'll check to see if data is active on your line. You can also call 082111. I'll also do a check on the bluetooth in both XP and Vista to see if it works. If another operating system then we'll need to try something else, I only use those 2.

Hey n3rin3, I use a Nokia 6110 Navigator on dialup via Bluetooth, I get average 700kbps down and 120 up

I posted my reply as you did, missed your previous reply. Yeah, there could be something specific to the manufacturer, I use sony ericsson so possibly different.

So the bluetooth works on yours. What dial up number you using? What operating system. Maybe your dial up is different for different manufacturer possibly. You could just solve this mystery :-)

Use the Nokia Suite if at all possible, it will set everything up for you with minimum fuss. I use XP and previously set up a Nokia 5140 manually, dialup is *99#, you also have to enter the initialization string otherwise you will get nowhere. Also first make sure your sim is enabled for data. But use the suite if possible, it really works well

Good advise. See I don't use Nokia. Also check IP settings make sure IP and DNS are set to find automatically. But if you use the PC suite should set it all up for you.

What about the data cable? Did you not get one with the phone?

*99# works for me. Thanks for that.

Vodacom Representative

The number (1, 2, etc.) at the of the dial string typically refers to the PROFILE NUMBER on your handset. If you have only one profile configured, omitting this number will use the default profile.

If you have more than one profile configured on the handset, you must use the correct profile number in the string otherwise you'll get strange results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast