Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: A closer look at HD TV

Default A closer look at HD TV

A closer look at HD TV

World Cup is prompting SA to adopt latest technology

I wonder how the SABC is going to mess this one up! Remember it was way back in June/July 2006 when they had this bid launch of the first ever SA HDTV broadcast, and it was only limited to a very small area (more like a publicity stunt if you ask me) and how far have they gone since then? I know DSTV DOES have a couple of channels that are in HD. Come 2010 and my prediction sees the SABC outsourcing/selling & buying broadcast rights from DSTV (MARK MY WORDS!)

OK what is HD ready and full hd? obviously full hd is the real thing but hd ready?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli View Post
    OK what is HD ready and full hd? obviously full hd is the real thing but hd ready?
    wondering the same thing , cause far as i am aware there are no TV lcd,plasma etc that can receive a digital broadcast! obviously excluding monochoice.
    Telkom: "Resistance is futile, your money is ours!"

HD ready means that the TV has the capability of putting out a HD picture, but does have the receiver that is capable of receiving it. If your TV is HD ready you will need to purchase a "HIGH DEFINITION SET TOP BOX" that is receives the digital signal. Kinf od like a little MNET decoder.

Here in Australia, the government channels transmit each channel in three different signals - standard definition analog, Standard definition digital and High definition digital. There is no charge and no TV licence required for government channels. However the Foxtel which is the paychannel only transmit certain channels in HD and they are ones like Nat Geo HD, Discovery channel HD etc. Of course it is not free either but you pay a premium fee to receive that channel in HD.

The same will happen in South Africa when HD is fully available. DSTV will offer it but you will have to pay extra to get it and I assume also on certain channels.

You really have to weigh up whether it is worth it. You will have to buy a new TV or at least a set top box (A$250-A$400 here) and then also subscribe to the premium package.

And to watch sweat up close? your choice.
    --------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

HD Ready doesn't necessarily mean the TV is capable of outputting an HD signal. It does mean the TV is capable of receiving an HD Signal, even if it downscales it to an SD or ED definition picture.

In SA for the moment, we have one HD channel, but I have a feeling fairly shortly that Multichoice will be forced to bring in more HD channels, and hopefully things like Discovery HD...
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

The HD Ready for us simply means that you need either a HD DSTV decoder (built-in "HD Tuner"), or the mentioned HD top set box thingy.
    Full HD means it already has a HD-tuner/decoder, but you will still need the DSTV HD-Decoder.
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

froot : Nope, HD Ready just means the set can accept an HD signal.

Full HD relates to the resolution of 1920x1080
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

“While your new LCD television may be HDTV ready, it will not have the perfect picture until it gets an HD signal such as the HD channel MultiChoice is now broadcasting,” Coetzee said.
    If it weren't for the fact that SD television looks utterly disgusting on an HD screen I would have considered buying an HD screen long ago. Unfortunately I will wait until the vast majority of channels are being broadcasted in HD before even considering an upgrade.
    Only the ANC will try to deny that e-tolls cost them a ton of votes in Gauteng...

I'm well aware of the pixels it requires. Also That HD Ready means it can accept HD Signal. Which is why all it requires is a [HD] signal from either a top set box thingy or the DSTV HD-decoder (or obviously also ie a computer with HD output).
    R u n n i n g . W i n d o w s ? . . . U p g r a d e . t o . L i n u x
    TEXO Hosting

This Froot is no longer available.....

Master

Any HD Ready set means the Vertical resolution is minimum 720 lines. The set may accept 1080 signal , but the LCD panel only has +-720 lines , so the video processor "Down Scales" the picture to 720 lines. i.e. divide 1080 down to display 720.

This is what DSTV HD channel transmits - 720 lines Vertical also called 720i
    It will be years before DSTV transmits anything in 1080.

Full HD means the set can DISPLAY 1080 VERTICAL lines, wether Interlaced or Progressive. (1080i or 1080P)

Blu Ray players with HD discs can display 1080 lines. Remember that your current DVD player also only sticks out about 500 lines.

So if you only want DSTV and no Blu Ray player - then buy HD ready.

*** EDIT *** btw SD looks better on Plasma as they have better up-scaling processors than majority LCD.
    Last edited by avr-rulez; 20-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.

My understanding is:

HD Ready= 1024*768 pixels.
    Full HD= 1920*1080 pixels.

Both can recieve the HD broadcast, its just a matter of which diplays it correctly.

Sweaty Full HD is pretty cool, but I still haven't decided if it's quite worth it yet...

OK, so 2min too late... And his was a better explanation...

He said the key to the sharper picture lies in the higher resolution.

The picture people see on their television screens is made up of lines and dots, and the more dots and lines, the clearer the picture.
    What??!
    Is this foreign concept familiar to anybody or is this just more speculation from some conspiracy theorist?

Default Article correction(s)

The standard television set at home has a resolution of about 640x480, which means that there are 640 resolution lines by 480 pixels (dots).
    That should be 720x576 @ 50Hz interlaced or should read
    576i @ 50Hz
    576p @ 25Hz

Since the older SD TVs was interlaced it should be 576i and because they compensated for over scan you actually only see 704x576 interlaced.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast