Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: MTN Promo Service Fee

Question MTN Promo Service Fee

Does anyone have an idea what this service fee is for?

I recently upgraded to the MTN Anytime 200 package and just noticed this item on the statement.

They are charging us R34.21 (VAT Excl.) for it on top of the monthly contract fee, and I cannot locate any info regarding this on the contract or Website.

Thanks.

Edit: No worries, I just realized they are splitting up the monthly contract fee into R200 + R39 = R239 (VAT Incl.)
    Last edited by Yuesay; 25-10-2008 at 08:09 PM.
    "Stress is when you wake up screaming and realize you haven't gone to sleep yet."

Well, I have the following on my statement:

MTN 200 SUBSCRIPTION FEE 175.44
    PROMO SERVICE FEE 104.38

That gives R280 excl. VAT....wtf???????

Quote Originally Posted by sponge-bob View Post
    Well, I have the following on my statement:

MTN 200 SUBSCRIPTION FEE 175.44
    PROMO SERVICE FEE 104.38

That gives R280 excl. VAT....wtf???????
    Did you perhaps took a expensive phone?

Are you by chance, with iTalk? I see they have promo service fees that are deducted monthly.

Someone has to pay Danny K and Lee-Anne whatshername, you know

Danny K = what a dork... LMAO - why the **** would I buy a phone just cause Danny-the dweeb - K is with i-talk... what a joke

People, the promo service fee is the fancy name for your phone's subsidy.
    Q9550,OCZ 4G DDR2,HIS 4850,XONAR D2X in HAF932+AOC 53X+SideWinder/Reclusa
    4096kbps DSL@Altech uncapped
    Lenovo S10 2g RAM+HTC Desire+Atrio M8

Default MTN Promo Fee

The MTN "Promo Fee" is what you pay per month for a phone. This is for a 24 month contract but MTN continues to charge this forever. This in fact amounts to theft.

I have a contract that ran it's course and ended in Feb 2010. They continued to charge the "Promo Fee" every month there after. I phoned to complain and they said they would refund me. On the invoice where they refunded me they actually charged it again.

When calling to complain again they told me this was normal. I feel this is theft. They are doing this to thousands and thousands of customers and the rand amount must be in the millions.

I would like to sue them on behalf of all South Africans that are being robbed in this way.

Are there any other people out there who are also being ripped off in this way?

@barneybigshorts: I suspect every contract-paying MTN subscriber on the continent is being ripped off like this...Where's a good old American class action suit when you need it eh?

Anybody get it refunded ????

Unlikely. This thread is quite old, when I was with italk, they had a promo fee but that was becasue my contract came with a phone, 32"LCD TV and 5.1 surround system and amp. The promo fee was part of the extra's.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

I just picked up on this issue as well. My contract came to an end on 19 December 2012, but have since been billed for the "promo service fee". On my second call to 808 a consultant advised that they can migrate my package to a standard package to ensure that I am not billed this amount any more and they will request a refund. They can do the migration telephonically. When I initially called, a different consultant advised that this is my "bundle fee", which is basically my monthly subscription. The second call (after doing some reading up) I made it clear that I know what this fee is. Seems like their consultants don't freely tell their clients that they don't have to pay that amount.

I don't think I am going to renew my contract with MTN as this is daylight robbery. Anyone know if Cell C or Vodacom have the same practices?
    Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses
    Be part of the solution: www.antitrust.co.za