Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Construction van falls into 'Gautrain hole'

Um this happens everywhere in the world. For crying out loud a massive construction site is a dangerous place.

On the other hand, the Coega harbour in PE. The drivers had to wear life jackets at all time because they kept driving into the water. From what i heard there are loads of trucks at the bottom of Coega harbour.

Well thank goodness no one was hurt, and this is bound to happen when people are digging under ground.

BEE contractor digs the hole for the Gautrain. They create a hole big enough to swallow a truck. Then they get a BEE contractor to fix the hole. And another hole appears...

Viva Africa Viva
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    Um this happens everywhere in the world. For crying out loud a massive construction site is a dangerous place.

On the other hand, the Coega harbour in PE. The drivers had to wear life jackets at all time because they kept driving into the water. From what i heard there are loads of trucks at the bottom of Coega harbour.
    Yes, but this is underneath a populated area. It is not a construction site!
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kim_Webchick View Post
    Well thank goodness no one was hurt, and this is bound to happen when people are digging under ground.
    No, no and no! You can't have that attitude when you are digging underneath one of Gauteng's busiest roads!

Could you imagine what would have happened had there been a whole bunch of vehicles swallowed by that hole. It is unacceptable. The company responsible for the Heathrow tunnel were fired and then fined R9mil - that's how you handle something like this in a 1st world country. If you shrug it off like that then no one is held accountable and this whole mess will occur, yet again.

Do you think the guys digging the Chunnel thought: "This is bound to happen when people are digging under ground. Oh look at that, its the entire English Channel!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    BEE contractor digs the hole for the Gautrain. They create a hole big enough to swallow a truck. Then they get a BEE contractor to fix the hole. And another hole appears...

Viva Africa Viva
    Murray & Roberts Limited - Murray & Roberts is South Africa’s leading engineering, contracting and construction services company. It has created employment, developed skills, installed infrastructure, delivered services, applied technology and built capacity throughout South and Southern Africa for 105 years, making a significant contribution to socio-economic development in the region. Murray & Roberts operates in Southern Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia, Australasia and North America. Murray & Roberts is based in Johannesburg, South Africa with a public listing on the JSE Limited.

Bombardier UK - Canadian company Bombardier is a world leader in the aerospace and rail transportation sectors. Its proud record consists of eight 'Private Rail' projects, two of which are for the London Underground. Subsidiary Bombardier Transportation is the global leader in the field of rail equipment manufacturing and servicing. It has a construction presence in 21 countries and is involved in 46 production sites.

Bouygues Travaux Publics - Bouygues Travaux Publics is one of the world’s top global ‘design and build’ civil engineering and building contractors with extensive experience in concession projects. The company is ranked 2nd in Engineering News Record’s Top Global Contractors list with construction revenues of 6 billion Euros, 42% of which are earned outside of France. Bouygues Construction has successfully carried out over 200km of tunnel projects and recently completed the world’s largest tunnel, excavated with a tunnel boring machine under a ‘design and build’ contract for the high-speed train in the Netherlands.
    http://www.gautrain.co.za/index.php?...m=bombela&ct=1
    The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Blog Entries

Hmmm... Weird how most of the workers in the tunnels don't speak French, though.

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    Hmmm... Weird how most of the workers in the tunnels don't speak French, though.
    Ummm, actually they do. I live near Rosebank and most of the guys walking around in the muddy orange overalls are foreigners.

You do understand that they're not down there digging with buckets and spades, right? They've got big machines being operated by highly qualified engineers.
    Last edited by Deenem; 29-10-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Does anyone know what the consequences for the company responsible were the last time this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Does anyone know what the consequences for the company responsible were the last time this happened?
    I think the best that we can expect is from them to keep their workers safe in the event of something like this happening.

Engineering is not an exact science, accidents like this happen and as long as they are maintaining a good safety record then I see no reason to start jumping up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Deenem View Post
    I think the best that we can expect is from them to keep their workers safe in the event of something like this happening.

Engineering is not an exact science, accidents like this happen and as long as they are maintaining a good safety record then I see no reason to start jumping up and down.
    So in other words no consequences at all and by extension there will be no consequences this time around either.

Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    So in other words no consequences at all and by extension there will be no consequences this time around either.
    What do you want to do? Should we sue God for putting the wrong type of sand in the way of the tunnel boring machine?

We can hold the construction company responsible for the safety of their workers and residents.

No-one has died, no-one been seriously injured. I don't see that there should be any consequences.

Digging big holes in the ground comes with expected risks, they seem to managing these risks rather well.
    Last edited by Deenem; 29-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    Weird how most of the workers who don't speak French were not the Geotechnical Engineers mapping the Gautrain route to develop a design and risk management plan for the tunneling work.
    Last edited by dlk001; 29-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deenem View Post
    What do want to do? Should we sue God for putting the wrong type of sand in the way of the tunnel boring machine?

We can hold the construction company responsible for the safety of their workers and residents.

No-one has died, no-one been seriously injured. I don't see that there should be any consequences.

Digging big holes in the ground comes with expected risks, they seem to managing these risks rather well.
    What have they done to manage the risk? No-one has died, but why? What safety precaution that they took have prevented it?

I have no idea about these incidents so that is an honest question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast