Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can South Africans receive money into a paypal account?

Default Can South Africans receive money into a paypal account?

Hi. I know this topic has been analysed from every perspective trying to work out why we don't have full use of paypal's services, but my question is much simpler:
    Can South Africans create paypal accounts and legitimately receive money into those accounts? I know you can't withdraw that money to a south african bank, but why couldn't i just transfer that money to a paypal account belonging to a US relative, and then they send that money to my bank in SA?

Grandmaster

The way you propose will work, but as a south african trying to receive money with paypal is officially not possible
    No Signature for the moment

I used Paypal on Ebay and overpaid for shipping... The shop refunded the money and it was paid back to my credit card...

That baffles me too... So I did get the money back... So why can refunds work, but we can't receive payments???

We suck... man... we don't even have iTunes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    I used Paypal on Ebay and overpaid for shipping... The shop refunded the money and it was paid back to my credit card...

That baffles me too... So I did get the money back... So why can refunds work, but we can't receive payments???

We suck... man... we don't even have iTunes!!!

I'll try to explain this one - South African Banks can not function without receiving a fee for what ever they do. In this instance, if you receive a refund they make no money but they are forced to do the transaction because they already received the fee when payment were made. Your refund may not exceed the payment that you made. Paypal do not make an EFT transaction when you "withdraw" your account balance, they do a refund and then the SA Bank loose out on the fee and they do not like to do that!
    Last edited by Lourens; 02-11-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: too late
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by moklet View Post
    The way you propose will work, but as a south african trying to receive money with paypal is officially not possible
    I'm keen to get into ebay affiliate advertising... will it work for that too then? I've heard of paypal or ebay tracking your IP to make sure the accounts are accessed only from the right countries, and then blocking your account and taking your money if you are found to be from SA, etc etc... is that rumour? Have you done it personally?

Now how about a couple of hundred guys get together and start a bank as a business BUT simply to service PayPal users in South Africa!!! We won't offer credit and we waont ask for credit we just simply service these "customers". Yea it may take a while but hell, if bad banks like we have in SA still exist then a new PayPal bank will work ESPECIALLY because we get screwed over by current banks. And if THAT doesn't work we create a conglomerate, get overseas accounts, get people to work for us and do the paypal payments to legitimate holding accounts and then pay over to legitimate South African PayPal clients!! They receive payments, they pay from their paypal accounts to a designated overseas account and then we pay it to their south african bank account. Obviously a fee will be charged as they WILL be costs involved!! OR, it is a problem with paypal themselves!!

Get the idea??
    Last edited by shearder; 06-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.

deleted---
    Last edited by shearder; 06-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.

In all honesty, I think its something to do with our law. Paypal is not the only thing not working for South Africans. Back in the day some guy in the US wanted me to do work and I had to decline because I know he couldn't pay me. He then proposed all kinds of other means, also online payment sites kind of like Paypal, and all of them when you click South Africa said something about our law. What I can not remember.

What you can do is, if you take a holiday to the US or Europe, you can then visit a bank there in person and open a account. The law in the US is, the bank needs to know their client, and if you stand there infront of them with your password and all the other needed documents, they should not decline your application. Then you register a Paypal account on that bank account and should be able to receive money. Anyways that is what my research of up to 6 months on the issue lead me to, except I have never gotten around to actually doing it.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    In all honesty, I think its something to do with our law.
    I believe you are correct. I can't find it now but I read an online article some time back that said it's actually our banking laws that prevent paypal from allowing payments so South Africans and has nothing to do with paypal.

The answer is somwhere in here.

Exchange control regulations, read the pdf on the right.
    To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

I am by no means a legal fundi, but in simple lay man's understanding, why would you allow me to use paypal and send ton's of cash out of the country but not allow me to accept money, which ultimately is boosting the country cause this will be money coming in?
    Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    ah yes. the ag old assessment tha a black player that isn't performing is a matter of AA/EE. While the white counterpart is merely out of form.

Arrow

I think Paypal will surely work LEGALLY in South Africa if one of the financial institutes takes it up. I tell you why.......

Western Union was Not legal in South Africa, but then ABSA partnered with them and now you can send or receive money via western union

Moneybookers - They work in the exect same way as paypal & you can receive or send money with moneybookers, but there are limits and not many traders outside Europe use them. Also moneybookers keep funds in reserve for 6 months.

** Is it possible for any1 from any of the financial institues or reserve bank to give an OFFICAL UPDATE on the paypal issue, so we know why is it not working (maybe the problem is on paypal side)

End result - if we in South Africa can receive funds via paypal...boy oh boy we will make money - Just think ebay and all those Americans wanting to purchase something African

Super Grandmaster

I have an offshore bank account in the Isle of Man, obtained through my local bank and part of my overseas investment allowance.

Am I legally able to receive funds into that account via a Paypal account?

PHP Code:
    Am I legally able to receive funds into that account via a Paypal account
    Legally, yes

Practically, no

Most (all?) tax heavens like BVI, Seychelles get the same treatment as SA. You can only send money to anyone.
    My favourite intellectual fix, Sudoku
    Ja swaer, it is all in a day's work

Thumbs up South Africans can now deposit and withdraw money from Paypal

Good news after all this time, a new agreement has been reached between paypal and First National Bank. South Africans can now open an FNBpaypal account and link it to a qualifying account and receive paypal payments in 21 different currencies.

Source: Sunday World, 28 March 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast