Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting a house? What do you Pay?

Super Grandmaster

Default Painting a house? What do you Pay?

If you hire a painter what can you reasonably expect to pay or what have you paid recently to paint your house?
    Some of the prices I've been quoted are crazy. Some Guy wanted three weeks to do interior and exterior Excluding Paint and wanted R25,000 add paint @R10,000 extra

Well, to give you an idea, I used a painting company to paint my living room and dining room recently and they charged me R 3 600. Those 2 rooms took them 3 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
    Blu, you're a genius.

I'm painting early December ... didn't realise it costs so much.

I thought those 25l drums of paint were R600 and did about 6sqm. At R10,000 for paint thats a huge surface area!

buy paint yourself instead of having them buy it. they add a lot to the paint price and score some extra money off you.

we painted our own house. why should I pay someone to do it, when I know I can do a very good job of it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead View Post
    If you hire a painter what can you reasonably expect to pay or what have you paid recently to paint your house?
    Some of the prices I've been quoted are crazy. Some Guy wanted three weeks to do interior and exterior Excluding Paint and wanted R25,000 add paint @R10,000 extra
    thanks crazy.

R37.50 per sqaure meter for PVA
    R45.00 per sqaure meter for Enamel/Double Velvet

email me for a quotation on vusim@unpluggit.co.za

or if you don't want companies doing it for you just buy the paint you want and go to a builders warehouse near you and get painters there. you can negotiate the price? how big is the house?

Grandmaster

my mother paid a guy r2,500 and this incl all outside walls, plus garage and window frames

the paint for the outside walls was cheap, 499 for 20l of micatex, i think they 3 or 4 drums
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

you have to know the 5 "D"s of dodgeball;..dodge;.duck..dip;..dive and dodge

Super Grandmaster

It's a small Victorian single story with new loft (A frame) pitched roof with attached garage. There are 5 small- medium paintable rooms inside.

The roof is new so it doesn't need painting so the only exterior areas are the newly built gables which support an A Frame roof and the ground floor exterior and the waist high street front wall.

I chose the Dulux paint though and it's not cheap for Very Dark Rich colours but for the inside I chose PVA and off-white Plascon double velvet with a few liters of the same in velvaglow for the kitchen and a burgundy for the fireplace feature wall.

Interior paint at Cape Town's main paint discounter (LT) cost R6000 (85 litres off white+ 20 litres PVA for new ceilings) Two coats

Exterior paint will cost between R4000-6000 for Two coats

Now the Painter wants R25,000 on top of all this. Eisch.

Don't have the time to do it myself but don't have R25,000to throw at a bakkie brigade painter anyway-although some people are insisting that the price is about right
    Last edited by Hosehead; 12-11-2008 at 07:43 PM.

I have used several of the 'painters' located at the building supplies stores. Just one thing, if the guy is clean as a whistle, stay clear - he probably doesn't know a brush from a roller. If on the other hand the guy is wearing some painting clothes he usually knows his stuff and you can bank on the paint covering the stated surface area.

Another useful hint is to pay per job and not per day, otherwise the job will take forever (painful experience). The guy that painted my roof, took a week and used 5 drums of paint, and charged R2500 for labor. Given that this is less than 20% of the commercial guys labor costs I found it quite cheap.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't. [Michael D. Watts]

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Mu$tang View Post
    If you've left the walls for a long time and they're looking tatty, do you have to strip first?
    No. Just need to paint over existing colour with a darker one as last coat was 3 years ago.

Default Insights?

It's a small Victorian single story with new loft (A frame) pitched roof with attached garage. There are 5 small- medium paintable rooms inside.

The roof is new so it doesn't need painting so the only exterior areas are the newly built gables which support an A Frame roof and the ground floor exterior and the waist high street front wall.

I chose the Dulux paint though and it's not cheap for Very Dark Rich colours but for the inside I chose PVA and off-white Plascon double velvet with a few liters of the same in velvaglow for the kitchen and a burgundy for the fireplace feature wall.

Interior paint at Cape Town's main paint discounter (LT) cost R6000 (85 litres off white+ 20 litres PVA for new ceilings) Two coats

Don't have the time to do it myself but don't have R25,000to throw at a bakkie brigade painter anyway-although some people are insisting that the price is about right
    Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm trying to do some research on paint etc., why would you use plascon over dulux, I am looking at painting and the only difference I can see is the 7 year guarantee on Plascon over 4/5 years on Dulux. Personally I prefer the Dulux brand, and the price difference is minimal between the various paints.

I asked a guy at Barneys paint and he said I should go for either Dulux, Plascon or Prominent paints (never heard of before) apart from that all the other paints are cheap and will start peeling after a few years.

Also, for inside I would rather paint myself, I've seen this Dulux paint pod thing, but I think there are limited colours, any thoughts on this? I think it looks great, but in practice how would it perform, and maybe only best for professional painters?

Default unbelievable

Okay, I also paint somebody house for 2 weeks and 3 days. Eish but it probably will took me next time a week, because that house needed so much preparation work. In total for the paint and other stuff that was needed is cost him about R6000. I charge him for the inside labour and the outside R8800,00. I use 3 of my guys on the house. I hope you did not accept that quote for R35000.

Many years ago, a firend who owned a painting enterprise told me that the rule of thumb was: The cost of the paint = The price for labour.

Obviously if the building was badly neglected, the price for labour would be adjusted to allow for additional prepping.

Any supplier of paints would be able to tell you how much paint you will need. In fact, they should see the house and also give you some advice on the scope of work.

Banned

Here's a quote I got last month.
    The job is complete and the contractor paid for a good job.

Job took three days to complete.

1. Kitchen Ceiling: chip out and fill crack some 3m in length; prepare & paint whole
    (large) ceiling with white Rockgrip Super Acrylic PYA;
    2. Study: prepare & paint walls (these are quite dirty and marked) and touch-up
    ceiling as necessary; walls to be painted with top quality fully washable and
    mould-resistant Dulux Wallguard, in standard colour of your choice - the colour
    "Chalkstone" is recommended;
    3. Family Room / Sun Room: scrape off loose and flaking paint, apply Coprox damp
    sealer, chip out & fill cracks in ceiling; prepare & paint walls and ceiling as above;
    4. Main bedroom ceiling: prepare & paint as above;
    5. Spare bedroom: chip out crack (along ex-garage door arch) and fill, apply Coprox
    damp sealer, prepare & paint white as above - both interior and exterior aspects;
    all-inclusive of materials, labour and supervision, transport & fuel costs:-
    R8425
    Last edited by Frankie; 12-05-2009 at 02:52 AM.

If you're in Cape Town I can reccommend the guy who just painted my house and 2 of my neighbors houses. He charges R300-00 per day and does a great job. He doesnt take short cuts and works fast.
    He painted my house (outside only), double story - 320 m sq - in about 9 days I think, thats 2 coats as well as painting the eves and facia boards.
    Whether he is available or not I dont know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast