How to ask The_Techie for PC-related help

If you are seeking solutions to your PC-related problems, there are many threads on MyBroadband which will assist you with solving these problems, from the Hardware and Software FAQ for general questions and solutions, to The Offical Bluescreen Of Death Error Thread. Though I'm trying to make the Hardware and Software FAQ as complete as possible, I won't be able to solve every possible problem that may arise in one thread. We have thousands of forumites that are willing to help, so please consider creating a thread about the problem that you are experiencing and we'll do our best to help.

Feel free to send me a private message, as I answer private messages a lot faster than threads. If you wish to send me a private message (via the link in my signature), please follow a few simple guidelines so that I may be able to help you as quickly and as effectively as possible.

1) Please include which operating system you're using, as well as the version.
Steer clear of:
Code:
I am using Windows.
Try for something similar to the following example:
Code:
I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 installed.
2) Please state the nature of the problem clearly.
Steer clear of the following:
Code:
My computer isn't working properly.
Code:
When I switch on my computer, only the CPU fan starts spinning
but nothing else happens.
3) Please state your system's specifications as completely as possible, as certain problems are specific to a combination of hardware. If you are uncertain as to what your system's specifications are, have a look in the Hardware and Software FAQ for recommendations on how to find out.
Steer clear of:
Code:
I have a computer with a dual core processor and a 512MB graphics card.
Code:
My specifications are:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (not overclocked)
ASUS P5N-E SLI
4 x 1GB Kingston DDR2-800 CL4
NVIDIA 9800GT 512MB
800W Gigabyte Odin
4) If you have any information about the problem that you think will be useful, even if it turns out not to be, please include it.
Steer clear of:
Code:
My PC won't turn on sometimes.
Code:
My PC won't turn on when it's been unplugged for longer than about 90 minutes,
but it will turn on if I reseat the CPU after that time.
5) Don't be impatient if I don't get back to you immediately, or am unable to solve your problem. I try my best to attend to all private messages as soon as possible, sometimes I'll get back to you within the hour while sometimes I won't be online until the next week. Your patience is appreciated
6) Please don't ask me whether one brand of PC components is better than another, but rather ask me whether a certain component is more suitable to the task at hand (such as whether the NVIDIA 8500GT or the NVIDIA 8600GT is more suitable for gaming) than another. Start a thread asking the former, as you'll have a wider audience with more experience.
7) Please steer clear of using too many different fonts and colors in the private message. Because this is difficult to read. A plain message will suffice, really

Of course, if you're experiencing a strictly hardware-related problem (such as a PC failing to POST) then you needn't provide your operating system's details in the private message. Please use your own discretion as to what will be relevant. If you follow these simple guidelines I'll be able to help you solve your PC-related problem as quickly as possible.

All of the best
The_Techie