Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: playing foreign lotteries online ( legal advice )

Default playing foreign lotteries online ( legal advice )

any of us can play international lotteries by entering online and paying with your credit/debit card ( playeuromillion, playuklottery etc)
    but a buddy just brought something to my attention that he saw in an ABSA brochure. basically stating that it is illegal to play foreign lotteries using your credit card and contravenes the national gambling and lotteries act.

can anyone shed any light on this situation. can you play from south africa or not? forget about the adverts that you see, I'd like a legit legal answer to this if anyone is clue'd up on the law, thanks.
    "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

AFAIK, and IANAL, it is illegal to enter a non-SA lottery.

anybody have any further info on this? must be somebody on here who can give a precise legal explanation of whether we can play overseas lotteries or not etc and the reasons why/why not.
    "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

Don't play lotto... easy as that
    Librarian - The original search engine

Quote Originally Posted by justplain View Post
    any of us can play international lotteries by entering online and paying with your credit/debit card ( playeuromillion, playuklottery etc)
    but a buddy just brought something to my attention that he saw in an ABSA brochure. basically stating that it is illegal to play foreign lotteries using your credit card and contravenes the national gambling and lotteries act.

can anyone shed any light on this situation. can you play from south africa or not? forget about the adverts that you see, I'd like a legit legal answer to this if anyone is clue'd up on the law, thanks.
    lotto isn't a way to make money, but lose it. Whats wrong with the local lotto by the way ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bondizzo View Post
    lotto isn't a way to make money, but lose it. Whats wrong with the local lotto by the way ?
    tata ma chance

Super Grandmaster
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Guess it is a contravention of the Exchange Controls Act

Grandmaster

It depends on the countries laws.

In SA you are not allowed to use your Credit card (and sometimes Debit card) for certain transactions for example playing lotteries or even purchasing petrol.

Where in Europe you can play any Lotto online and gamble with a CR/DR card across countries and even the petrol thing is no issue.

Its all down to the laws and SA has some VERY restrictive lawswhen it comes to money leaving the country.

But i bet you alot of money should you do win a few the ANC would love to tax you to death on it!

Again our glorious 'Foreign Exchange Control'...