Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best ADSL option for a widow with kids overseas?

Blog Entries

Question Best ADSL option for a widow with kids overseas?

She has Telkom landline... and the computer. She will use it for Skype, e-mails, online banking and opening the odd funny video by e-mail. I live pretty close by so tech support is near at hand.

Best comprehensive package?

Telkom dobroadband level 2

Pretty easy to setup and u can provide support if anything happens

Also with blended usage, u tend to do between 3 - 4 gigs on this option...

One question... how much of bandwith is used in a 1 hour long skype call.

Blog Entries

According to Skype's site:

How much bandwidth does Skype use while I’m in a call?
    On average, Skype uses between 3-16 kilobytes/sec depending on bandwidth available for other party, network conditions in between, callers CPU performance, etc.
    How much bandwidth does Skype use when there are no active calls?
    On average Skype uses 0-0.5 kilobytes/sec while idle. This is used mainly for buddy presence updates. The exact bandwidth depends on many factors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedhotNeo View Post
    Telkom dobroadband level 2

Pretty easy to setup and u can provide support if anything happens

Also with blended usage, u tend to do between 3 - 4 gigs on this option...

One question... how much of bandwith is used in a 1 hour long skype call.
    thanks... I have suggested that to her now by e-mail.

The cheapest ADSL service is the Nashua Mobile 384Kbps with free WiFi router (Billion 7300G) for R139 per month. The bandwidth (Verizon) is also apparently unshaped. The only drawback is that the Billion router is locked and that additional bandwidth costs R95 per gigabyte. This option might work out cheaper than the Telkom Do Level 2.
    http://www.nashuamobile.com/nm_porta...5&sid=personal
    You could also look at one of the Cybersmart offers (www.cybersmart.co.za) which start at ~R169 for 1GB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    The cheapest ADSL service is the Nashua Mobile 384Kbps with free WiFi router (Billion 7300G) for R139 per month. The bandwidth (Verizon) is also apparently unshaped. The only drawback is that the Billion router is locked and that additional bandwidth costs R95 per gigabyte. This option might work out cheaper than the Telkom Do Level 2.
    You could also look at one of the Cybersmart offers (www.cybersmart.co.za) which start at ~R169 for 1GB.
    Thanks, I do already have a modem/router for her. Is it possible to get that without a contract?

Ummm, sorry to be silly, but did you really think it was relevant to include the fact that she's a widow?

I've seem many ADSL products but, so far, I've never seen any one specifically tailored for widows.
    The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deenem View Post
    Ummm, sorry to be silly, but did you really think it was relevant to include the fact that she's a widow?

I've seem many ADSL products but, so far, I've never seen any one specifically tailored for widows.
    The Widowmaker? Widow's Companion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I've never claimed to be nice.

You would have to discuss that with Nashua Mobile. Alternatively you might be able to swap the router for additional bandwidth etc.

You could also look at the MWeb offer - 384Kbps 1GB with a free bundled locked Voip router for R199 per month. The advert on TV says no contract but I would guess that the free router is tied to a 12 month contract.
    http://www.mweb.co.za/productsservic...2/Default.aspx

Telkom W-CDMA might be another option if this is available in your area. R149 for 500MB and 30c per Meg out of bundle rate. This should be much faster than 384Kbps ADSL and prices should start to fall. This is a month to month service.
    http://www.telkom.co.za/products_ser...cdma/cost.html

There is also the Neotel Lite 99 option if available in your area. The phone costs R599. Monthly service costs R99 but you receive R25 credit back each month to spend on services such as bandwidth etc. The data costs an additional R80 per GB. She could convert her current Telkom phone to prepaid (Waya-waya) which only costs R10 per month and use the Neotel phone for voice calls and internet access etc.
    http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1892
    Last edited by Yotch; 04-12-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries

yes, I did think it was relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    Actually that would work out cheaper but the router is locked. Telkom total service cost for do level 2 is R258 and the router is unlocked

on the plus side of telkom is the blended usage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedhotNeo View Post
    Actually that would work out cheaper but the router is locked. Telkom total service cost for do level 2 is R258 and the router is unlocked

on the plus side of telkom is the blended usage
    Yeah but do you really think she is going to use 3-4Gbs per month! My mom uses it for the same type of things and she battles to get through 1Gb in a month.

I have seen this type of query before and every time there are numerous shouts for DoBroadband2 as it has about 3-4Gbs international and then 20Gb local.... do you guys really think this lady will be needing 20Gb local?

1Gb will be plenty to start with. These people are not like us internet addicts!

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Yeah but do you really think she is going to use 3-4Gbs per month! My mom uses it for the same type of things and she battles to get through 1Gb in a month.

I have seen this type of query before and every time there are numerous shouts for DoBroadband2 as it has about 3-4Gbs international and then 20Gb local.... do you guys really think this lady will be needing 20Gb local?

1Gb will be plenty to start with. These people are not like us internet addicts!
    Very true, my mom uses the connection for the same types of things and 1GB seems to be more than enough.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't. [Michael D. Watts]

Question

Am I missing something here......

I honestly thought Cybersmart was the cheapest.

The package I am referring to is the 1 Gig 384k @ R169.

That includes the ADSL line rental

You also dont need to sighn a 24 month contract like with telkom.

Telkom's doBroadband 2 works on any OS, including but not limited to Widows XP and Widows Vista. [sic]
    "Veni, Vidi, Vici." - I came, I saw, I looked great in a toga. OR DID I?!?

"All your international bandwidth are belong to us!" [sic] - Telkom. OR DOES IT?!?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast