Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: MCPD Certification

Lightbulb MCPD Certification

Hi Guys

I have my national diploma in electrical engineering (specialized in programming) from a technikon. I have been working for a few years now in software development, specifically C#. I'm thinking about getting MCPD certification, but the info on the internets is too confusing, I have no idea how to approach it.
    Questions

1. As I understand you first need to write the two exams to get MCTS and then another 1 to get MCPD. That right?
    2. Is it mandatory to attend classes, or can you study using books/online resources and simply write the exams. Where do you write the exams (online or at a physical place)? I'm based in Cape Town.
    3. Ballpark figures. What will it cost to only write the exams vs. what it will cost to go to the classes first.
    4. How long does it take to get certified. i.e. Is it a one-week course or does it take months of studying?
    5. To anyone who is an MCPD, is it worth it?

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by firewall View Post
    Hi Guys

I have my national diploma in electrical engineering (specialized in programming) from a technikon. I have been working for a few years now in software development, specifically C#. I'm thinking about getting MCPD certification, but the info on the internets is too confusing, I have no idea how to approach it.
    Questions

1. As I understand you first need to write the two exams to get MCTS and then another 1 to get MCPD. That right?
    2. Is it mandatory to attend classes, or can you study using books/online resources and simply write the exams. Where do you write the exams (online or at a physical place)? I'm based in Cape Town.
    3. Ballpark figures. What will it cost to only write the exams vs. what it will cost to go to the classes first.
    4. How long does it take to get certified. i.e. Is it a one-week course or does it take months of studying?
    5. To anyone who is an MCPD, is it worth it?

Much appreciated.
    Microsoft do explain it properly on their site, but to answer you questions. MCPD
    1. Yes
    2. No, you can just register for the exams, get the training material, study, go write the exams and get your certification. You have to write at a certified training institute. Something like CTU and the like that to have the courses. When you register, you will receive a list (search) of places where you can go and write the exams.
    3. Last year (2007), it was R700 per exam.
    4. How long do you want it to take? You can get you MCTS certification within two weeks. The final exams to get the PD is more difficult, so that takes a bit longer. You can get your MCPD in about 3months. Just remember that you need 75% to pass with MCTS. I think it is 80% for your MCPD exams, and it is really difficult to pass the MCPD. I have worked with a guys that is REALLY good and he knows he's stuff, but he failed the MCPD (if think twice) with 1%. So prepare yourself really good. The MCTS exams not that difficult if you have good experience and studied properly and worked though the mock exams.
    5. Yes it is.
    Last edited by MielieSpoor; 05-12-2008 at 10:19 AM.

I'm still busy with my MCSD. Don't have time to study and go do the exams... Just need to sit down for a few days and study.

As MielieSpoor said, the MCTS (pretty much the same as MCSD) is not that difficult. I passed my first 2 exams in MCSD with 1 wrong answer each. I also heard the "upgrade" exams to get the MCPD is a lot more difficult than the MCTS/MCSD. But, after all, you get the title that goes with the effort...
    SCubed: Human Capital Management

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbearer
    To google metal lyrics is not metal. They have to come straight from the heart.
    UPFRONT DISCLAIMER 2009 FarligOpptreden