Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Eskom stops nuclear plans

Default Eskom stops nuclear plans

Eskom stops nuclear plans

Power utility Eskom on Friday said that it was "not in a position to invest in nuclear", and has terminated the talks it was holding with global nuclear technology providers Westinghouse and Areva.

Super Grandmaster

If this means no more nuclear in any form then it's a very short-sighted move, in my view. The day will doubtless come when Eskom will rue this decision, making it even more expensive for a future Board to get us on the right track again.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

While i acknowledge the comment above. Our dabbling in untested and untried reactors i cannot help but feel this is the correct decision.

But i guess not much heed has been paid to our contribution to global warming.
    When everyone has a public voice, we see how many people just don't have anything interesting to communicate
    Sportslinks

Wugger

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If this means no more nuclear in any form then it's a very short-sighted move, in my view. The day will doubtless come when Eskom will rue this decision, making it even more expensive for a future Board to get us on the right track again.
    Ah, but the cost saving can be put into current Board bonus payouts

Grandmaster

But what are they going to do now? What is plan B?

Plan B: burn more coal, and big performance bonuses for board members.

I know someone working on the PBMR (Pebble-bed modular reactor) and he tells me one of the main hold-ups is that contracts with the engineering firms are time-based, i.e. they get paid by the hour and it takes as long as it takes. That would explain why things seem to be taking so very long. They must have had a very friendly board sign-off on this.

The PBMR is a great idea though, and could bring in lots of foreign currency if we perfect it first (with our German partners that is). But, the Chinese are working on a similar concept and our productivity isn't in the same universe. ;-(

Default So does this mean that we gona pay less.....

Well we should payless as they are not going foward with the plans......

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

the dangers of pebble bed nuclear reactors have been extensively covered in some old threads here, as well as discussions of the countries which have realized that their dangers arent worth the possible advantages...

given the state of SA, I think nuclear reactors of any sort, are the last thing that should be attempted by the government. Looking at windfarms, solar panels, and tidal current generators would be much much safer - and more idiot-proof.

Uhm burning coal isn't going to help when we will run out. If not nuclear maybe a solar + wind farms? karoo is a big place with sun.. but then they likely will just burn coal.. bleh, i guess it signals time to invest in providing your own energy?
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Grandmaster

Anything but Nuclear...

Eskom are NOT the people i would like dabbling in Nuclear energy.

They should even shut down Koeburg before the capre flats become a shiny piece of glass north of capetown...

Quote Originally Posted by Adie View Post
    What happened with the pebble bed? Is that still in development? I've heard (from an inside source) they are spending millions on the project, while everyone knows it's going to be a failure.
    I also heard about this but that was a couple of years ago. Some French company was involved or something like that.

Grandmaster

Hold on just long enough to get a whopping increase from NER and then can the projects. Typical.

On the other hand, they can't seem to keep Koeburg running so it's doubtful they can run more of them.

Here is a question ... I presume most on here to be of higher intelligence than most ...

... only nuclear power plant ...
    If Kouburg (sp?) is the only nucular power plant, then what is Pelendaba Nuclear Facility? If they are not making power (which I believe that are not - but when ever I have asked this question, I have been told that it does supply power) then what exactly are they making?

War heads? Only 40kays from Joburg ... Nice!
    Supplier of the finest fax to e-mail in the land

www.emailmyfax.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    They must abandon it i think, we are another Chernobyl waiting to happen.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by WHATEVER View Post
    Here is a question ... I presume most on here to be of higher intelligence than most ...

If Kouburg (sp?) is the only nucular power plant, then what is Pelendaba Nuclear Facility? If they are not making power (which I believe that are not - but when ever I have asked this question, I have been told that it does supply power) then what exactly are they making?

War heads? Only 40kays from Joburg ... Nice!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelindaba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_A...ss_destruction
    Last edited by Captain Slog; 05-12-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    oOo

احترام

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast