Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting a forum?

Default Starting a forum?

Hello people im thinking of starting a forum so please help me out here.

1 Where do i start?
    2 What software do i need (free)
    3 When should i expect to start making money?
    4 How do i get people to visit the forum?
    5 Is there any web development involved or can i just install a software and get going?
    6 How much work should i put into it?

Default This is how.

1. A community. Your forum will be useless without people using it. You need an incentive for people to use your forum and the best way of doing this is by building a community of people that can contribute meaningful posts.
    2. You can sign up with any web host that offers one-click installs of popular forum software. This will be the easiest by far. Look for a host that provides a "cPanel", then use any of the available forum software like phpBB.
    3. A year or more, depending on your commitment. Very possibly never. Once you have a community up and running, and some meaningful posts to attract page views, you might start seeing some revenue from ads, but if this is the only reason you want to start your forum, you are likely to fail.
    4. Build a community. Wait for meaningful posts that will attract page views. Spamming will give you a bad rep.
    5. One-click forum install. Then theme. Install some plugins if you feel like it.
    6. Entirely up to you.
    ---

1 Where do i start?
    You get a web hosting account and set up the forum.

Open source forum scripts. Ask your web host if you need any suggestions or need help installing it (good web hosts should assist with this).

After a few years at least, unless you have a very good niche.

Your forum signature, word of mouth, etc.

5 Is there any web development involved or can i just install a software and get going?
    You can install it and get going.

Most of the work would be promoting the forum - this can be any amount from an hour to a few hours each day. You would also need to keep the installation up to date to prevent exploits on your forum.
    PeerLevel Web Hosting
    Hosting the most important website in the world: Yours!

1 Where do i start?
    With a topic/theme and somewhere to host it.

phpBB?

Good content. A bunch of friends, preferably suffering from MPD, who are willing to help wont hurt.

How much do you want to get out of it?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Sign up with a webhost that has cpanel and fantastico. I would recommend texo.co.za
    Installing the software(PhpBB3 is the most common) will take you about 10 seconds

Then you modify the theme/Style and your ready to open for business.

Dont expect to be making money anytime soon because that will depend on how many members your forum has and how often they post/View pages.

I have a forum and I can tell you that its extremely difficult to get active members!

Good luck though

Some points.

This forum uses VB, which is not free AFAIK.

Doesn't it cost something to host a popular site. What if it's an instant hit and you get 5000 searches a day - won't you have to pay more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackboy View Post
    Doesn't it cost something to host a popular site. What if it's an instant hit and you get 5000 searches a day - won't you have to pay more?
    It would depend if those visitors fit into your bandwidth quota and how well your web host can handle traffic volumes.
    PeerLevel Web Hosting
    Hosting the most important website in the world: Yours!

So theres no real planning involved,just patients?

Default Patients

Patients only if you make a medical forum.
    ---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psichron View Post
    Patients only if you make a medical forum.
    Hope its not an English Language forum
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    Hope its not an English Language forum
    actually it is
    now back to topic

Wink

Go to www.x10hosting.com and sign up for an account. You will get to choose a free sub domain or if you have a domain name u can use it. Then you can use the fantastico auto script installer and install the forum software and your done!

The quickest way would propably be to use coolforums. . .just google 'make your own forum' and you will find it. I also recommend that you don't just start a forum to make money. Rather choose a topic about something you like etc. . . .

OK guys tell me what you think.
    Should i launch my forum now and start marketing and add on as i go or wait till i am happy with the lay out of the forum(which could take long).

Will you guys help me as well by telling me where to change and what to add.

What's the theme going to be or is it just general chat?

If your going for something really big(i.e the next big thing type site) I would say wait till everything looks decent, if its not something like that I dont think you should wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast