Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Billion router in "bridged mode" - now I can't access the web console

Default Billion router in "bridged mode" - now I can't access the web console

I setup my Ubuntu Linux box to use static routing according to the instructions in this thread: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=71477

But I don't really understand what has happened to my router. Once everything was setup, I could not access the router's web console. Now I understand (a little bit) that I am connected directly to the internet, what I don't understand it how come I have lost all connectivity to the router.

I tried playing with the network interfaces, I brought both ppp0 (international) and ppp1 (local) down with ifdown and I still could not connect to the web console.

Is my router still meant to be accessible when I am in bridged mode? If not, then how would I do connection sharing, change the WiFi settings, change back to router mode etc?

BTW, there is no IP address for eth0, all I have is a hex IP address for IPv6, I don't know if that is of any significance.

Your router no longer has a IP address if its running on bridge mode. The IP address will be assigned to the NIC on your linux machine. The router is basically like a modem now.

Have you setup your account info on the linux box and then brought up ppp

To reset your router back you will need to do a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    Your router no longer has a IP address if its running on bridge mode. The IP address will be assigned to the NIC on your linux machine. The router is basically like a modem now.

Really? My router keeps the same IP address regardless of the mode its in. I'm in bridged mode right now and looking at it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post

I have the thing connecting and working with both connections. Since I have two IP addresses (local and international) I don't think my IP would be on my NIC, is it not on my pppoe connection?

I had to do a reset to get access to it again just like you said. The thing is how do you update the WiFi settings etc if the thing is in bridged mode and hence not accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Really? My router keeps the same IP address regardless of the mode its in. I'm in bridged mode right now and looking at it.
    Are you in full bridged mode? What router are you using? How are you splitting connections, routesentry, IPCOP or RASPPPOE?

I don't mean to question you, but how exactly do you access your router? Technically you have no route to it. For example, my router comes up on 192.168.1.254 in router mode. When I go into bridged mode, I only have two connections, local and international. I then have a default route (international) and a list of IP ranges for my local route. 192.168.1.254 is on neither connection and it does not even exist on the internet. Since I am connected directly to the internet I could never get to it.

The only explanation I can think of is that you have three connections, each with an IP, one to your NIC, and two for local and international connection. My router does not give my NIC an IP, hence I cannot access the router. But even if your router gave your NIC an IP, you would still have to have an entry in your routes that would send a request to your router via the NIC connection, because your international connection is your default route. You would have done this manually or your software would have done this behind the scenes for you.

That is my logical conclusion which you should take with a pinch of salt since I only got exposed to this yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by kds View Post
    Are you in full bridged mode? What router are you using? How are you splitting connections, routesentry, IPCOP or RASPPPOE?
    Yes - I'm in full bridged mode on a Billion - which one I dont know.

I'm not splitting connections. Just running multiple ones from different machines.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even if I put my router into bridged mode, I'm still able to access the web interface if not connected under Linux.

However, there is a way to connect to the web interface when the router is connected - I will have to search for that specific post. Do you need the information to do so?
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

I know there was certain Billions that did this think it was the 7300 range. Try to upgrade the firmware.
    Keep your mind from GUI interfaces and menu driven stuffs. In the great circle of life, everything will fall in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    However, there is a way to connect to the web interface when the router is connected - I will have to search for that specific post. Do you need the information to do so?
    Yes I do, so if you have a chance, please dig up the post thanks.

Use Telnet to connect to the modem.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kds View Post
    Yes I do, so if you have a chance, please dig up the post thanks.
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...?f=17&t=23062&

A whole thread dedicated to that topic

HTH

Libs
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

HTH

Libs
    Thanks, I am going through it, it's not making too much sense right now, but I live in hope.

HTH

Libs
    OK I figured it out - OK not really, I hacked it and got it to work. I had a look at the smoothwall thread above and to be honest it did not make too much sense. But I did pickup some pointers and I had a look at the Billion manual again. From the two of them I picked up the following:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

I forced my NIC to have a static IP address that the Billion manual suggested in case of a complete reset. That did the trick and I can access the web console.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, much appreciated!