One of the most apparent and recurring themes that run through this forum, is that of requests from posters for help on one or the other aspect. This is not surprising, given the dynamics of the site and its membership.
I'd like to propose that those who have assisted in the past, make a conscious effort to draft a simple HOWTO on the subject concerned, and post it on the WIKI site (link at the top of the MyADSL homepage). In this way, repeated postings of the same thing can be avoided, by merely making reference to the WIKI. The WIKI has an index, so the subject being searched for can easily be referenced, or a link provided for the enquirer.
This proposal will also serve to promote MyADSL as a source of intelligent and useful knowledge for some of the more esoteric aspects in the computing world, as opposed to a mere platform for venting (not that this is a bad thing, mind you!). Of course, this will only be realised if and when posters actively start using the WIKI, which currently doesn't appear to be the case. ANTOWAN has put some conscious and unrewarded effort into making the WIKI forum available, so it is now incumbent upon the community to start using it, not so?
Some of the potential WIKI topics that come to mind are the following - those who have direct experience, should start drafting and posting:
1. HOWTO resolve site access problems caused by Dynamic IPs
2. HOWTO register a domain name free on the za.net namespace
3. HOWTO host a webserver behind your ADSL connection
4. HOWTO host a webserver behind your MyWI connection (would anyone want to?!)
5. HOWTO configure an 802.11 wireless deployment for residential clusters
6. HOWTO deploy a community wireless network in South Africa (without running foul of the law, hehe!)
7. HOWTO configure your XXX router for whatever
8. HOWTO etc.
At the end of the day, I suspect that this forum will become known as a resource of excellence for many peeps out there, were a conscious effort be put into using the WIKI for this purpose. Comments please - if in agreement, just start registering and posting on the WIKI forum. Don't worry about spelling, grammar or even content - other members will edit as necessary, I'm sure...