Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Sub repair or replacement?

Super Grandmaster

Unhappy Sub repair or replacement?

I have an old Cambridge SoundWorks Desktop Theater 5.1 system which I'm currently using as a home theater while I patiently shop for a decent 7.1 component system...

Unfortunately the sub has started to pack up, it either doesn't work, or the bass sounds like a cracky speaker - bad description, I know. I'm not sure if this is just the wiring in the sub - its a passive sub, so I don't think there could be much wrong with the wiring - but I can't get it open.

Can I just use a cheap passive sub? Or how can I get this working again while I search for the 7.1 system?

Currently my TV, PS3, Music, etc run through this - so its kinda important to me.

Pic of system:

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    I have an old Cambridge SoundWorks Desktop Theater 5.1 system which I'm currently using as a home theater while I patiently shop for a decent 7.1 component system...

Unfortunately the sub has started to pack up, it either doesn't work, or the bass sounds like a cracky speaker - bad description, I know. I'm not sure if this is just the wiring in the sub - its a passive sub, so I don't think there could be much wrong with the wiring - but I can't get it open.

Can I just use a cheap passive sub? Or how can I get this working again while I search for the 7.1 system?

Currently my TV, PS3, Music, etc run through this - so its kinda important to me.
    I think it's ether the two wires that go to the membrane that has gotten loos or the membrane is damaged, both would require the replacement of the driver.

A cheap passive sub would work if it has the same connection and power rating (RMS watt) as the old one. Just be careful as passive subs dont have the same amount of magnetic shielding as mre expensive ones.

Well the power rating should be the same or higher, preferably higher. Weve blown a cheap sub with a higher quality amp.
    Milkmag
    Milking the net for all it's worth.
    Life is allot like death, it happens to everyone, even if they like it or not.

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

Oh, I thought this thread is about submarines...

haha lol
    The liver is evil... and must be punished

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlade84 View Post
    I think it's ether the two wires that go to the membrane that has gotten loos or the membrane is damaged, both would require the replacement of the driver.

A cheap passive sub would work if it has the same connection and power rating (RMS watt) as the old one. Just be careful as passive subs dont have the same amount of magnetic shielding as mre expensive ones.

Well the power rating should be the same or higher, preferably higher. Weve blown a cheap sub with a higher quality amp.
    Thanks - the plug on the sub is the standard AV type plug.

What is the driver? Is it not possible to resolder the wires?

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Thanks - the plug on the sub is the standard AV type plug.

What is the driver? Is it not possible to resolder the wires?
    Well if you can find one that also has an AV plug, then it should work. Make sure if you're had external power that the new one also has external power.

The driver is the sub speaker. I don't really know if you'd be able to fix it. You could try to use some glue, but if the wire in the coil on the membrane is damaged, then it won't really help.
    Milkmag
    Milking the net for all it's worth.
    Life is allot like death, it happens to everyone, even if they like it or not.

Super Grandmaster

The sub had no external power - just the lead to the receiver/amp. I've always been surprised at how well this system performs. . . in comparison to your standard HTIB 5.1 home theater's - it's always been way better.