Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Weather Station

Default Home Weather Station

Does anyone on MyBB have there own weather station?

I am looking at getting a Oregon Scientific WMR-100. Anybody else have one of these babys, they seem prettty cool. They Measure Temp, Windspeed, Baro-Pressure amd rain fall, all linked to the PC if needed.

any comments

I't's cheaper to look at the American weather guy on ETV
    Quote Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
    Blu, you're a genius.

Lol.....yeah very true. But i spend a lot of time in the sea and i like to know whats happening firsthand

Super Grandmaster

OS make good weather stations - can't really go wrong with them. If you want to spend around R9k or so, then also look at Davis as they make some rather nice systems too.

I'm actually going to start writing the code on the stations my company's producing, starting the weekend/Monday. Shouldn't take long though as it's not very complex and we've added a twist or two which the other companies haven't managed/thought of yet.
    We still need to source a couple of items like good quality, weather-proof boxes for them but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

A mate got one for Chirstmas. I'll ask him to review and post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Messugga View Post
    OS make good weather stations - can't really go wrong with them. If you want to spend around R9k or so, then also look at Davis as they make some rather nice systems too.

I'm actually going to start writing the code on the stations my company's producing, starting the weekend/Monday. Shouldn't take long though as it's not very complex and we've added a twist or two which the other companies haven't managed/thought of yet.
    We still need to source a couple of items like good quality, weather-proof boxes for them but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
    What stations does your co produce?

There should be something here for you

http://weather.yahoo.com/South-Afric.../regional.html

Out at sea is another story

Grandmaster

my dad has one but he has the WMR928NX
    Trouble with Windows - re boot
    Trouble with Linux - be Root

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by caspa View Post
    What stations does your co produce?
    Well, we're doing two models. One is a bulk, cheaper unit intended to be used by farmers running some of our software to manage their farms. This software uses the data from the weather stations to make predictions about rain and the like. The farmers don't need wind direction for that though, so we didn't include it.
    The other one, which is the one I'm really excited about, is designed to be a bit more robust. The CEO is part of the yacht club, and thus wanted one of them for his weekend toy. The other yacht guys heard about this, and now there's quite a market for them it seems.
    They have humidity sensors on them, wind speed, direction, rain and something I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.
    We're also fitting a little video camera on the sensor pod, which will be mounted at the top of the yacht's mast.

The reason for the camera is, the stations use the GSM network to upload data to a server, which the client can view from home. Of course, this also means we can stream some video, albeit low quality or higher quality but at a low framerate, to the client so he can keep an eye on his boat.
    We also have a high power, long range bluetooth module hooked up to the unit, so you still have comms on the boat, without going through the GSM network.
    This data can then be streamed to a laptop with bluetooth.

The next step in the development process, after the prototyping has been completed more completely and we've manufactured some production boards and cases and things, is to fit a nice, big LCD screen to a portable unit to which the main unit can connect.

It's all very cool and exciting stuff and it's something I've been interested in for ages. Can't wait to see the final product.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Messugga View Post
    They have humidity sensors on them, wind speed, direction, rain and something I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.
    I remembered! Temperature, of course!

Davisnet Vantage Pro2 with wireless console - been working almost 2 years with no problems.
    Two years ago it was cheaper to buy it off eBay with RS232 data logger connected to Linux box
    using wviewweather.com, their is a local agent.

http://midafricam.dyndns.org/img
    Last edited by kilos; 06-03-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    Cheers
    Justin
    South Africa webcams - Owlcam,Cape Town, Vicbay
    http://www.midafricam.co.za

The Davis Vantage Pro 2 does look like a awesome unit

Davisnet Vantage Pro2 agents locally: http://www.cwprice.co.za/page4.html

Look at what service Russel is providing at http://www.iweathar.co.za

Grandmaster

How much do these stations go for? I don't need the wireless option - but would love to see what's going on and update to www.wunderground.com to contribute to the greater cause

Hi
    weather station solutions
    maybe take a look at elsner-elektronik:

"The Weather Station Suntracer KNX-GPS measures temperature, wind speed and brightness. It perceives precipitation and receives the GPS signal for time and position. Furthermore, the exact position of the sun (azimuth and elevation) is calculated on the basis of location coordinates and time. "

http://www.elsner-elektronik.de/knx-sensor1.html?&L=1

Or W&T solutions, in SA I think by 4TMC.co.za:
    "Applications for Web-IO Thermometers:
    Measure, store and display temperature and relative
    humidity in a browser. Anytime, anywhere."

http://www.wut.de/e-5760w-11-inus-000.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast