Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Solar heating swimming

Default Solar heating swimming

Im planning on heating my swimming pool pretty soon. Im in JHB and can only use my pool from the end of November till the middle of Jan. Im busy researching it atm, if anybody has some tips, recommendation, suppliers etc please let me know.

I'm in the same position ... also looking to heat my pool. I'm in Durban (Highway area) and can only use the pool from Nov to end Feb.

There are two types of panels. The first type is a flat sheet of plastic (HDPE or other) with small inner tubes. The second type consists of the tubes with the pipework also at the top and bottom. I'm tending to the second type. They say that there are no moisture issues and that the roof acts as part of the solar heating system heating the tubes. The second type of panels are 3 x 1.2 meters. The area of the panels must equal your area of pool. Panels in Durbs ar R 800 each ... got a quote. R 850 for a self install kit. Another R 1500 if you want them to install. The same panels are R 480 + R 140 delivery on BOB. Hope this helps.

JayN

Grandmaster

Busy getting quotes on a new pool now, and the panels are fairly cheap, R900 each installed. I've seen electrical ones - more use of the pool obviosuly, anyone know running costs?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by JayN View Post
    ... got a quote. R 850 for a self install kit. Another R 1500 if you want them to install. The same panels are R 480 + R 140 delivery on BOB. Hope this helps.

JayN
    Sorry, what is "BOB". Dealer? manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancTheTank View Post
    Sorry, what is "BOB". Dealer? manufacturer?
    Bid Or Buy ?

Wugger

One thing to keep in mind is where on your pools filtration system you put it.

If you connect it between your pools inlet and your pump you will get debris in your heater. If you connect it between your pump and your pools outlet you might kill your pump.

Find out about your pump as many pool pumps can handle huge amounts of suction on the inlet, but die if you put pressure on the output.

Yip. Bid or Buy.

The running costs on the panels are basically the extra time you need to run the pump during daylight hours (unless you already run the pump for more than 8 hours anyway).
    There is a slightly higher running costs on the pump, as the pump needs to work slightly harder.

The recommendation for any heating system is between the pump/filter and the salt chlorinator (if you have one) or the inlet to the pool. The chlorinator works better with heated water (not hot / boiling water).

The electric units are about 3500 W or 3.5 KW (actual heat output around 12 KW - thermal cycle). Additional running costs for about a 10 hour pump time are 35 KWh per day, or say R 0.60 x 35 per day = R 21 per day. To maintain heat in colder climates, the pump can run as long as 16 hours to keep up the heat.

Correct me if I am wrong ... but this is my estimate based on my homework.

JayN

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by psc View Post
    Oh, haha, thanks

What temperature increases could one expect here in the north of JHB and during which months would you be able to use the pool. Im just looking for rough estimates from you guys that have used solar panels to see whether its worth it.

I'm no expert. It depends on so many things ... 1. whether you use a solar cover. 2. the direction of the panels. 3. the number of panels in relation to pool area. 4. the time the panels get heat from sun. I would say 3-4 degrees on most days for an uncovered pool, higher for a covered pool.

Good morning,
    Does anyone have the heliocol solar panel installed to heat their pool. The product is imported. www.heliocol.com Or www.asi.co.za I am looking at installing this product. I want to get some feedback about actual experience with using the panels. If you have the locally manufactured solar panels, I would like to know your feedback as well. Thank you

Heating a pool using heat-pump technology is also an option, although I opted for solar heating for the pool I had in Jhb.
    Heat pump technology has come a long way in recently years, and the prices have come down