Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best media player in the world maybe?

How well (if at all) does it handle multiple zones? I'm currently using JRiver Media Center because it's the only thing I've found that handles multiple zones effectively.

EDIT: seems that it doesn't handle multiple zones at all so I won't be trying it.
    Last edited by masticore; 20-04-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: No zones :(
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Quote Originally Posted by <moLe> View Post
    Okay, so being a complete and utter media freak I'm constantly on the hunt for the best media player around. Having used countless media players for linux and windows I believe I came across the best media player to date.
    I'm guessing you haven't used MediaPortal yet? Cause it's MUCH better than this.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't used MediaPortal yet? Cause it's MUCH better than this.
    you guess right, busy downloading it as we speak though...always great discover awesome, just to discover there is something even better which is also mahala
    get wugged ptaWUG

Super Grandmaster

Be careful not to confuse 'different' and 'better' . Also, at this time it's worth mentioning MediaPortal's roots:
    MediaPortal's roots lie in the XBox Media Center (XBMC) project which goal was to build a media center application for the Microsoft XBox gaming console. Erwin BeckersThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it (also known as Frodo) concluded early in the XBMC project that there were notable limitations to the xbox platform, mainly that it is unable to support TV cards. XBox Platform limitations like these would ultimately hinder the vision of a feature rich media center application.

In February 2004, Erwin left the Xbox Media Center project to start a new project, now known as MediaPortal that would run on the Microsoft Windows platform. Initially existing code was re-used from the XBMC project but after several releases and innumerable feature enhancements there has been almost a complete re-design.
    Finally, while we're talking about which is (arguably, definitely arguably in this place!) the best media centre, don't forget boxee, another xbmc fork, but goes off in its own direction.
    Last edited by bdt; 20-04-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masticore View Post
    How well (if at all) does it handle multiple zones? I'm currently using JRiver Media Center because it's the only thing I've found that handles multiple zones effectively.

EDIT: seems that it doesn't handle multiple zones at all so I won't be trying it.
    that thing sucks - so slow!

I also haven't found a way to download cover's automatically with it

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    that thing sucks - so slow!

I also haven't found a way to download cover's automatically with it
    "that thing" = JRiver? I'm managing a 50,000 MP3 list and about 3TiB of avi files with it. I haven't noticed any performance problems with it - general use and searching is faster than WinAmp (that was only managing the MP3s.)
    I haven't looked into downloading album art with it.

just crashed when I tried installing it. Oh well maybe when I get vista up and running....we'll see.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    just crashed when I tried installing it. Oh well maybe when I get vista up and running....we'll see.
    DONT GO THE VISTA ROUTE!!!!.......just my 10cents
    get wugged ptaWUG

Quote Originally Posted by masticore View Post
    "that thing" = JRiver? I'm managing a 50,000 MP3 list and about 3TiB of avi files with it. I haven't noticed any performance problems with it - general use and searching is faster than WinAmp (that was only managing the MP3s.)
    I haven't looked into downloading album art with it.
    dude, when playing a normal 700 MB .avi on my PC the thing stutters for a full 2 minutes before playing smoothly, where my own home bru Media Centre program could load 12GB Blu-rays in a split-second with no stuttering at all, ever!

And keep in mind, that thing is on version 13 already, mine is on 0.64 Beta - If they can't enable it to play flawlessly on a Q6600 with a 4870X2.....in what version will they?

I haven't experienced any stuttering or delay when playing video (or audio.) I have seen a thread on their support forums describing a problem similar to what you've described - the problem was solved with a simple codec upgrade.

In any event, lets not hijack the thread

Quote Originally Posted by <moLe> View Post
    DONT GO THE VISTA ROUTE!!!!.......just my 10cents
    I like Vista. Sorry but XP is boring. Vista search function is the best. Unfortunately my vista equipped hdd burned out so I had to fall back to xp for a while. Now I have it back from Rectron I'm going right back to Vista.

MyBB Legend

Tried it and loved it, though it didn't play it with the quality of VLC or Media Player Classic.

For the Linux folk the answer is MythTV
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Yes, MythTV rocks..but I'm so bored of MythTV by now haha...have this A.D.D thing
    get wugged ptaWUG

This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of a local download for xbmc?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12