Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The best media player in the world maybe?

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default The best media player in the world maybe?

Okay, so being a complete and utter media freak I'm constantly on the hunt for the best media player around. Having used countless media players for linux and windows I believe I came across the best media player to date.
    Its called XBMC (xbox media center)www.xbmc.org and it completely whips almost every other media applications ass. Currently using it on Ubuntu, but there is a windows, mac and yes xbox version out too. I could go on for days on how awesome it is, but will advise any one interested in setting up a media server, or just looking for whack media application to take a look, or give it a try. interested in your feedback on this
    get wugged ptaWUG

Will try it out. Thanks.
    Procrastination. I'll find a signature for this later.

Master

also try media portal - windows based open source. it works well. It dont support very many tv cards yet though....
    We are Dyslexia of Borg, Fusistance is retile, Your ass will be laminated

Heard about this, never gave it a shot but will look into it thanks.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

haha pretty sure this wont fail to impress, unless want to do the recording/dvr thing..doesnt support that yet..but as a pure media player/server this thing is awestruckingly hot bot in apearance and functionality
    get wugged ptaWUG

Super Grandmaster

Cool i'm always up for something new. I think for an open source project they totally got their naming wrong. The first thing i asked when i read "Xbox Media Centre" was "how's this different from Windows Media Player and is this an enhancement from Microsoft?" .

Especially since you get quite a decent "Windows Media Centre" between Xbox 360 <---> Windows Vista .

Just a note for others it's a 80MB download. So it's not your typical VLC kind of media player.
    Last edited by diabolus; 20-04-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diabolus View Post

Just a note for others it's a 80MB download. So it's not your typical VLC kind of media player.
    No definetly not a light weight player, and yes the naming for this thing is completely rubbish but think its due to the fact that it started out as a media player for the xbox and then just evolved into the motherless thing it now is.
    get wugged ptaWUG

Quote Originally Posted by diabolus View Post
    Cool i'm always up for something new. I think for an open source project they totally got their naming wrong. The first thing i asked when i read "Xbox Media Centre" was "how's this different from Windows Media Player and is this an enhancement from Microsoft?" .

Especially since you get quite a decent "Windows Media Centre" between Xbox 360 <---> Windows Vista .

The Name is related to the fact that it was originally built for the Xbox... and has now been ported to window/linux/OSX
    42 yrs of Apartheid (1948 - 1990) + 23 yrs of BEE, AA & EE (1990 - 2013) = 65 yrs of sanctioned racism in SA, I hope my kids will see the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by <moLe> View Post
    unless want to do the recording/dvr thing..doesnt support that yet..
    Ahh.. that's why I have not botherd with it yet, I need my PVR... but looking at the screenshots I am impressed. Will try it out some time.

take a look at http://www.team-mediaportal.com

might interest you as well
    [i7 920 D0 | Rampage II Extreme | 12GB Team Xtreem 2000MHz | 9TB | Odin GT 800w | GTX480 | Antec 1200 | T260 | KrK VXT6 | RME BabyFace |Snow Leopard]

Thanks <mole> bust downloading, will give it a bash.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fubar View Post
    take a look at http://www.team-mediaportal.com

might interest you as well
    hmm..will give it a try definetly, looks promising for sure..also whould like to use the dvr functionality
    get wugged ptaWUG

Grandmaster

We tried it at home and then moved back to mediaportal since we could not setup the microsoft remote control with it. Do you have a remote control and if so, does it work under xbmc?

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nic777 View Post
    We tried it at home and then moved back to mediaportal since we could not setup the microsoft remote control with it. Do you have a remote control and if so, does it work under xbmc?
    I dont have a remote, but my xbox controller worked just fine (as you whould expect)
    get wugged ptaWUG

I've always wanted to try this but haven't because of the lack of tv / pvr capabilities.
    It wont really be a replacement for Media Portal or Windows MCE until they go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast