Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painkillers for birds?

Grandmaster

Question Painkillers for birds?

I've got a 3 month old parrot that had it's one toe amputated on Monday because it was broken in the nest. The bird is sqauking non stop and it didn't do it before unless she was hungry. I can't phone the vet now but was wondering if you get pain killers for birds (she is on antibiotics now). I just want to put my mind to ease till tomorrow

I'd go to an emergency Vet if I was you ...... if my parrot was carrying on like that, I'd be gone already.
    : Inspired to violence by majesty :
    - Die Toten König -

Grandmaster

I would try Panado syrup for children

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    I've got a 3 month old parrot that had it's one toe amputated on Monday because it was broken in the nest. The bird is sqauking non stop and it didn't do it before unless she was hungry. I can't phone the vet now but was wondering if you get pain killers for birds (she is on antibiotics now). I just want to put my mind to ease till tomorrow
    [joke]
    Rohypnol
    [/joke]

I'd advise going to the vet now if you can otherwise just try make tweety as comfy as possible for the night until the morning

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    I would try Panado syrup for children
    ...OK maybe not

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9040617AAgZvNJ

Yeah, thought so ..... good find on the chamomile tea though.
    - Die Toten König -

Don't give human stuff could cause a allergic reaction but you can try pure alcohol on the toe toe kill the germs and also numb it but it will burn like the 9 hells. You can even drip a few drops in his water like 2 drops* but rather not because it will have a bad reaction with the antibiotics. Try pure alcohol on the toe* if it gets really bad, keep him comfy and warm but don't smother him and remember cold or to much heat kills for all in winter.

shame :< I got a bird who lost 2 of its toes, there is a thing called calcibird, put it in their water, you can buy it at the local pet shop, works like a charm restoring feathers, curing parrot diseases, molts etc. it should do the trick,

Be extremely careful with what you give your parrot! I urge you not to take any advice given in this thread regarding giving your parrot something to ingest, particularly anything containing panado. Parrots are incredibly sensitive to substances one would think relatively benign. Contact an all-hours vet if you feel it warranted - they do exist.

Do not put alcohol in it's water if it is on antibiotics, unless you want to give your bird liver failure.

*+ rather too warm than too cold*
    Last edited by dappled; 07-05-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Grandmaster

Thanks guys, the birds toe was sealed (think the burn it to close the wound) and has a bandage over the claw. I got crop treatment, antibiotics and probiotics with to put in the water. It was quite bad after I got her again and it is getting better. She is quiet now and sleeping. Will take her to the vet tomorrow so they can have a look and see if everyting is alraight !

remember to clip her nails regularly or this problem can keep on going, the bird I got lost its toes because the previous owners didn't clip it. she was in really bad condition ;/

Three things related to this -

1) what kinda parrot is she?
    2) how did she end up having to have her toe amputated?
    3) How do you know how to correctly clip a parrots nails or is it purely something the vet should do?
    - Die Toten König -

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dappled View Post
    Chris_H, a warm feeding will probably help if she wakes and starts screeching again. Glad birdie is alright now.
    Yeah, that should work but the vet told me now is the time to scale down on feeding and that 3 times a day is too much this might be part of the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    remember to clip her nails regularly or this problem can keep on going, the bird I got lost its toes because the previous owners didn't clip it. she was in really bad condition ;/
    The vet gave her all the normal grooming, beak, nails and feather trimmings + injection

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto_Helix View Post
    Three things related to this -

1) what kinda parrot is she?
    2) how did she end up having to have her toe amputated?
    3) How do you know how to correctly clip a parrots nails or is it purely something the vet should do?
    1. Eclectus Female
    2. I got her that way from the breeder. It seems to have been born like that or to have broken the toe in the nest.
    3. I let the vet do it for me.

Shot. Wow, what a gorgeous bird!
    - Die Toten König -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast