Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kill-a-Watt metering unit

Colin : I would possibly suggest, hardware costs being no different to what they are with the current system requiring it to be online.

But maybe a R300 charge for the web management system in a form that would allow ppl to run the web server on a local machine... or if the unit itself has the ability to run the webserver, then that would be an option for a slightly more expensive unit.. say R1000 instead of R800.

Not to delve too deeply into your business model, but I'm guessing you guys are making a small (very very small at that) profit on the web hosting end of the things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Grandmaster

Colin: I have spoken to a few people about the homebug we all love it, some of us feel there should be options available, not everybody wants a system that uploads to the internet. If a stand alone software could be purchased allowing you to download the information to your to get all the statistics that would be great.

The internet service is also great and I think quite a few people would want that since
    they can access their data from anywhere (great for holiday houses, rented homes/flats etc),
    turn on/off their lights remotely,
    program modes such has holiday mode where the lights will go on automatically on their own.
    security system, Alerts: I am not home yet somehow somebody learned the light switch in bed room. (great for normal homes / holiday homes)

The availability of being able to switch to an online account from a regular account will also be great such that, I have the home version of the system, I am happy with it and now I want it to be remote, while at work I can check on things etc.
    People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something
    You must present something of equal value to gain something.

..- dot dot dash

Quote Originally Posted by freeek View Post
    I ordered me a http://more.take2.co.za/moreuk-plug-...000q7pjgw.html awaiting delivery and I am now also looking for the whole household monitor.

So far I am most impressed with the http://www.wattson.co.za It is R100 more than the efergy and seems more impressive. Has anybody used the wattson?

Hi,
    I got the efergy2 wireless 2 days ago. They system took 5 minutes to setup after reading the manual.
    Its absolutely brilliant. It tells me how many kwh I am consuming as devices come on and go off.
    I tested it by switching devices on/off while watching the display. I paid 699 for the efergy. Wattson appears overpriced to me in comparison to efergy.

Super Grandmaster

So far I am most impressed with the http://www.wattson.co.za It is R100 more than the efergy and seems more impressive. Has anybody used the wattson?
    In what way is it more impressive?

Grandmaster

If they had a completely standalone system I think their system would be one of the best on the market at the moment, I would of almost definitely bought one.
    While we already have a local usage report (see screenshot) without the need for an internet connection; it's only over a 10min time period. I am going to implement a current kw and Rand value usage on the local web as well. Due to the requests we are discussing adding the ability to make the local log data available so that you can download the data in raw format, and do your own local processing on it. (you could automate this with your own app/reporting framework)

Now we're starting to talk

letting me get the data out of the unit and I can pull it into a DB of my own and do stuff with it myself, and I'll be a happy camper... only thing that would be left is to setup rules etc on the local web....

If I buy a Kill-A-Watt (http://more.take2.co.za/moreusa-p3-i...00009mdbu.html), will I need a special plug (not just an adapter) to use it with SA's 230V supply?
    Last edited by The_Assimilator; 17-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    If I buy a Kill-A-Watt (http://more.take2.co.za/moreusa-p3-i...00009mdbu.html), will I need a special plug (not just an adapter) to use it with SA's 230V supply?
    It is specced for 110VAC. It specifically says so in the product specifications (Max voltage 125 volts). Using it here would be a very bad idea.

If you did step the voltage down to 110VAC it would still be useless, @ 110VAC appliances are less efficient than @ 230VAC. So your measurements would be pointless. Except if you are trying to do calculations for US.

Also notice that you cannot just step the volage down, you need to do the following:
    230VAC @ 50Hz -> 110VAC @ 60Hz.

Try UK products. eg: http://more.take2.co.za/uk?deptname=...ch=Kill+A+Watt
    Last edited by Gnome; 17-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    It is specced for 110VAC. It specifically says so in the product specifications (Max voltage 125 volts). Using it here would be a very bad idea.

If you did step the voltage down to 110VAC it would still be useless, @ 110VAC appliances are less efficient than @ 230VAC. So your measurements would be pointless. Except if you are trying to do calculations for US.

Also notice that you cannot just step the volage down, you need to do the following:
    230VAC @ 50Hz -> 110VAC @ 60Hz.

Try UK products. eg: http://more.take2.co.za/uk?deptname=...ch=Kill+A+Watt
    After I posted that I was thinking "hang on, that will never work..." Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

Grandmaster

I must have linked the wrong one, I got the 220v one, the plug is working great.

CollinR thanks for the feedback, looks good. Happy that you willing to interact with the community.
    People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something
    You must present something of equal value to gain something.

..- dot dot dash

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
    I am going to implement a current kw and Rand value usage on the local web as well.
    An update on the local UI, now showing real time usage information along with the 10 minute history.

Edit: no one at home now, so only base line usage - bit boring

Quote Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
    An update on the local UI, now showing real time usage information along with the 10 minute history.

Edit: no one at home now, so only base line usage - bit boring
    Saw that on my unit as well...

One small request, can we have some animated dancing girls maybe?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    Saw that on my unit as well...
    One small request, can we have some animated dancing girls maybe?
    Brilliant idea! Will get on it right away!

Where are my dancing girls damnit!..

I want dancing girls....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123