Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long does the process of buying a car take?

Question How long does the process of buying a car take?

I have just got an offer to work for another in Centurion, and I don't have a car and the company I will (hopefully) work for says (in not so many words) that I need to have my own transport. So let's say I have desided to buy a very cheap secondhand car from AA Autobay for R30 000, how long does the process of buying a car take? From registration to bank finance and everything else that i have left out.
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Super Grandmaster

Can be done in a day - but usually takes about 3-days.

I've never waited longer than that.

Blog Entries

My fastest ever buy was the Thursday before Easter in 1988. My dad asked me to go to town and buy some hot cross buns at 2 pm...I drove past the VW garage on the way, and fell in love with the car on the floor...they gave me a very good offer on my car, and Wesbank cleared me in about 15 minutes, and I arrived home at 4:30 complete with new car AND hot cross buns!!

Nowadays, unfortunately the banks turn into koeksusters when you want finance, and they will make it doubly hard for you if you want to buy a cheapie on finance...they are either going to insist on a massive deposit and a short repayment, or totally ignore you.

The new Credit act also comes into play, because they are going to want to speak to your present employer and have proof of salary and rates and taxes.

Basically the only way to buy a 30 k car is to buy it for cash, I'm afraid...
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

It can be done very fast, I suggest you buy it cash if its 30k.

I take a while, fight for a better price, then play dealers against each other then fight for accessories etc etc

If your paying cash it will be quick. I saw the car I wanted the one morning and that afternoon I drove it home, but I did pay cash.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rotto View Post
    If your paying cash it will be quick. I saw the car I wanted the one morning and that afternoon I drove it home, but I did pay cash.
    I think that is the crucial thing in this whole equation. The banks are going to screw you round from here to next week over a 30 k car....
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

2.5 days for me, for everything to be done.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vici." - I came, I saw, I looked great in a toga. OR DID I?!?

"All your international bandwidth are belong to us!" [sic] - Telkom. OR DOES IT?!?

traffic department is the limiting factor
    car was ready, but it took 2 days for them to register it in my name

Registration takes a few days, but the banks sort out finance pretty quick. I had the dealer come show me a car on the Thursday, Friday morning I phoned to say I want it. Friday afternoon the finance was done and I was told to come collect the car the Saturday because of the service they need to do first.

Got the car the Saturday morning and got the new license disc and what not Wednesday the following week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Registration takes a few days, but the banks sort out finance pretty quick. I had the dealer come show me a car on the Thursday, Friday morning I phoned to say I want it. Friday afternoon the finance was done and I was told to come collect the car the Saturday because of the service they need to do first.

Got the car the Saturday morning and got the new license disc and what not Wednesday the following week.
    That is interesting, and it possibly changes depending on the area in which you live. When I was selling VW's we had that rent a queue crowd do all of our registrations for us, and provided we got the papers to them by 10 in the morning, we got papers and numberplates back before 4 that afternoon.

Personally I always take delivery on paper plates and do the registration myself, as I refuse to pay the crazy "Administration" fee charged by dealers. Having been in the game, I know that the fee is a total thumbsuck by the Dealer Principal, and has nothing to do with actual costs.

Flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JK8 View Post
    It can be done very fast, I suggest you buy it cash if its 30k.

I take a while, fight for a better price, then play dealers against each other then fight for accessories etc etc
    You buy polos and *****i golfs... what can you possibly fight about (besides with the demons in your head)?

Quote Originally Posted by kingmonty View Post
    You buy polos and *****i golfs... what can you possibly fight about (besides with the demons in your head)?

Regardless, sunroof and leather are options to fight for...
    10 - 15 000 discount is worth it.
    Im fighting VW at the moment for a Sciroco DSG for my mum... using the same skills (demons) I learnt from buying my Shiiiiti golfs and Polos...

Question

I just saw a tazz selling for R34 K and I think I will buy it in cash , there goes some of my savings. But I will have it insured and fit it with a tracking device, which tracking device or company would you guys recommend?
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly21C View Post
    I just saw a tazz selling for R34 K and I think I will buy it in cash , there goes some of my savings. But I will have it insured and fit it with a tracking device, which tracking device or company would you guys recommend?
    Clever child

I had Netstar in my Polo, but when I asked them to tell me where the car was, when it was parked outside my office, and I could see it, they couldn't initially find it, then finally told me that it was somewhere between the docks and University in Durban...I worked a couple of k's from the varsity...I was not impressed.

Flickr

Super Grandmaster

I was with Tracker, they once phoned me to tell me my car was stolen, but they had tracked it to somewhere in Pietersburg, this was 5min after I parked my car in the garage, Pietersburg was also 1800km away. They also sent lawyers after me over a period of six months, over a paid-up account, that I was still actively paying each month.

Currently with Matrix, only costs me R111 a month. And last time I checked, they knew where my car was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast