Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Simulated rape vs simulated murder

Blog Entries

Default Simulated rape vs simulated murder

So... heres my question. If countries like Japan or banning games with simulated rape.. why are they not banning games with simulated murder?

For me murder is a worse crime than rape, simply because its something you dont recover from as the victim.

So why are they banning games simulating sex and rape and not games that simulate murder?

Is that not hypocritical and warped?
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Good question.

I think because in a game a scenario is created where you're killing bad guys. It's hard to create the same scenario where you're raping bad girls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slowcheetah View Post
    I think because in a game a scenario is created where you're killing bad guys. It's hard to create the same scenario where you're raping bad girls.
    Horde vs Alliance? Grand Theft Auto.. loads of games have the roles reversed. In GTA you can randomly drive over old woman with walkers.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    Horde vs Alliance? Grand Theft Auto.. loads of games have the roles reversed. In GTA you can randomly drive over old woman with walkers.
    LOL yeah true.

Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's cool.

Blog Entries

LOL yeah true.

Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's cool.
    So murder is fun but not rape?

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    So murder is fun but not rape?
    Err wait. I wanna talk to my laywer please.

Blog Entries

ROFLOL.. haha!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really think it's better to watch simulated rape than murder? If I came across such an episode in a game I'd turn it off and throw it away immediately, I'd be disgusted.... Whereas murder can be comical, exaggerated, abstracted, rape simply cannot. There is no way of simulating it that would lessen its real severity... The issue is the societal perception of either, and the degree of immersion in the simulated act. We restrict the kinds of material that we are allowed to view because of the affect they will have on their viewers.

Super Grandmaster

Is wrong to want shoot zombies? Because I enjoy that.
    That which comes into existence will eventually break apart and pass away

Quote Originally Posted by Geriatrix View Post
    Is wrong to want shoot zombies? Because I enjoy that.
    Nothing wrong with killing or raping zombies IMHO. They're already dead.

It's a very slippery slope. Just thinking out loud here.

Where will we draw the line? As kids, you pretend kill each other in a game like cops and robbers etc. As teenagers and adults it expands into electronic games. It is simply an evolutionary process.

Now, no kids I know of play pretend rape. It is something new you *might* learn from a game later in life. You will learn about it sooner or later, but learning about it from a game, and actually performing the violation in a simulated environment is probably a bad idea. Parents not in touch with their childs development might not tell them that rape is wrong. It's not like kids obey age retrictions printed on games. Stores don't even check them when selling the game. If rape makes it into a game, what is next? Child molestation?

We need to draw the line somewhere. Even if you are not into religion like myself, you still have a moral compass (hopefully).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    You really think it's better to watch simulated rape than murder? If I came across such an episode in a game I'd turn it off and throw it away immediately, I'd be disgusted.... Whereas murder can be comical, exaggerated, abstracted, rape simply cannot. There is no way of simulating it that would lessen its real severity... The issue is the societal perception of either, and the degree of immersion in the simulated act. We restrict the kinds of material that we are allowed to view because of the affect they will have on their viewers.
    I think its more because simulated murder is so widespread in use that its more accepted than simulated rape.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Whereas murder can be comical, exaggerated, abstracted, rape simply cannot. There is no way of simulating it that would lessen its real severity...
    Another good point. No matter what they tell me, one crime IS worse than another.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast