Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brain dead...when is it over?

Default Brain dead...when is it over?

http://www.health24.com/news/Brain_N...-896,51353.asp

Interested to hear your thoughts on this matter. When would you consider it okay to switch off the support system keeping someone alive? Would you trust the doctors to make the informed decision to do this or do you feel the family should be allowed to keep their loved one alive for as long as they feel necessary? Do you feel the tests to determine whether someone is dead or not are full-proof?
    "For me there are only two type of women: goddesses and doormats" Pablo Picasso

Grandmaster

brain dead = death... just turn of the machine immediatly
    Trouble with Windows - re boot
    Trouble with Linux - be Root

Blog Entries

If they are deemed brain dead by one doctor and i get a second opinion and i get the same result then switch off...

Same with a Coma, I would give only a certain amount of time then its finished...

I expect nobody to keep me alive just because i might one day come out of whatever...
    www.houseofmyglory.com
    I only use Ozone Friendly Language

I agree with that. Death should not be feared. Don't you believe in reincarnation?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serqet View Post

Interested to hear your thoughts on this matter. When would you consider it okay to switch off the support system keeping someone alive? Would you trust the doctors to make the informed decision to do this or do you feel the family should be allowed to keep their loved one alive for as long as they feel necessary? Do you feel the tests to determine whether someone is dead or not are full-proof?
    Unfortunately there are some brain-dead people who aren't hooked up to machines where where we dont have the luxury to turn them off
    On a serious note though, if your body is relying on machines to keep you alive they should be turned off.... I know there have been occassions though where the body recovers enough to come off of the machines, but....Turn them off after a second doctors opinion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zophas View Post
    I agree with that. Death should not be feared. Don't you believe in reincarnation?
    who are you talking to now?

And if its me NOPE!!! i don't
    www.houseofmyglory.com
    I only use Ozone Friendly Language

Lol @ retrobok. This much is true!

I think it has to be the hardest decision ever though. Imagine being the person who has to agree that the machines of your loved one must be switched off. I think people will always hang onto the hope that somehow, they will recover.

As far as reincarnation; i'm in two minds about it. I would like to believe in it but there is no scientific evidence to prove it exists.

I agree with Peder though. If 2 doctors are telling you the same thing then i guess there is not much chance of survival and even if there is...would you want the person you love to be a vegetable for the rest of their lives? Gosh i just don't know how i feel about it.

Hawkins says when you die, it is like turning off a computer. I agree with him. Your body is keeping your brain alive so you are dead, when your brain is dead, because it is you.

What I wonder is, the usa has unbanned stim cells, what if they regrow the dead parts of your brain?
    Last edited by Empiricism Philosopher; 16-06-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Cheese

Is it even possible to regrow brain tissue?

When would you consider it okay to switch off the support system keeping someone alive?

When you find the 'Off' button.
    DEL PythonFSi

Lol trust PythonFSi to have the most direct answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PythonFSi View Post
    When you find the 'Off' button.
    Inappropriate humor much? I lol'd

OT - My family recently made that decision..... my Dad.... Can't say it was easy but it wasn't the hardest thing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    A hot date? A woman with the surname .jpg does not constitute a hot date.

ooooh i'm famous!

Sorry to hear j3n0va! It must have been difficult. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Super Grandmaster

Is it even possible to regrow brain tissue?
    Didn't you watch the Wolverine movie?

"His brain will grow back, but his memories will be lost forever."
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast