Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: What 7.2Mbps Network Really Means

WORK (Hillcrest, PTA) / LIVE (Fourways, JHB)

Default What 7.2Mbps Network Really Means

Keith and the Girl - the BEST podcast on the net!

Excellent!
    +2

WORK (Hillcrest, PTA) / LIVE (Fourways, JHB)

Yeah, alot of people don't understand that there are a lot of other factors that come into a WIRELESS solution. I think it was stated somewhere when someone was groaning about why they don't get 7.2 speeds.

But anyway it was stated that 7.2 is not a speed....it's a technology. Vodacom does not state that you will get 7.2mbps speeds. You can get UP TO 7.2mbps, but it would most like be around the 5mbps mark.

I mean who here who is on the Advanced 7.2 package (note I didn't say 7.2mbps!) is actually getting 7.2mbps speeds? I doubt that many people are even getting 6.0mbps.
    Keith and the Girl - the BEST podcast on the net!

Both Verizon and AT&T are within a couple of years of deploying LTE in their networks, and WiMax is already out there in some cities. Our own WiMax tests on Clearwire's network peaked at an astounding 12Mbps—nearly eight times faster than the iPhone 3GS on AT&T. And even if WiMax is shaping up to be more of a general broadband protocol than a cellular one, this is the kind of thing that'll be in your phones in a few years, and the promises are mind-boggling: earlier this year, Verizon's LTE were breaking 60Mbps.
    Mind Boggling I love technology.

Quote Originally Posted by nuyork View Post
    Yeah, alot of people don't understand that there are a lot of other factors that come into a WIRELESS solution. I think it was stated somewhere when someone was groaning about why they don't get 7.2 speeds.

But anyway it was stated that 7.2 is not a speed....it's a technology. Vodacom does not state that you will get 7.2mbps speeds. You can get UP TO 7.2mbps, but it would most like be around the 5mbps mark.

I mean who here who is on the Advanced 7.2 package (note I didn't say 7.2mbps!) is actually getting 7.2mbps speeds? I doubt that many people are even getting 6.0mbps.
    At present I doubt if one could even approach the Standard package speed of up to 3.6mbs on the Advanced package.
    The limiting factor seems to be network related and not the package subscribed to.
    This problem had its origins at the beginning of May, and the network has not recovered.
    I hope the problem is resolved soon as I would hate to go back to Telkom, cap in hand. (was getting 4.8mbs d/l from them on average)

SO I guess every owner and his dog who's awaiting Iphone 3GS for its speed is in for a helluva disappointment. 1.6mbs theoretical speed. VC, MTN has got their work cut out.
    Axxess 1Mb Uncapped, Coopers Home Micro Brew Beer Kit, Hmmmmm, lovely...

Quote Originally Posted by nuyork View Post
    I don't even get 2mbps. Forget 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by P0is3nIvy View Post
    SO I guess every owner and his dog who's awaiting Iphone 3GS for its speed is in for a helluva disappointment.
    I'm more excited for the faster processor speed... Just my .02

Master

It all comes down to the carriers bandwidth that they have access to and if they reserve a full 7.2mb for the particular access medium.

Its a sensible and realistic article and marketing dictates that one oversell capacity.

This is a fundamental fact of an ISP business.

I always compare it to a road with traffic where when the road is unused then capacity allows one to do 200km/h + and in congestion you putter along at a 5th of that speed if not slower.

Many business practices work like this , same for insurance with larger companies being rendered bankrupt if all the policyholders were to claim over a period.

Makes you think does'nt it :-)