Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to watch DSTV on your PC?

Banned

Default How to watch DSTV on your PC?

Hey guys,

This just occurred to me and without doing any research I thought I'd out it out here to let the experts put me in the right direction.

I have been considering putting a TV tuner card in my son's PC in his room for a while so that he can watch TV in there (and in reference to the TV license thread - yes we do have a TV license for the flat - just not in my name ).

Now I understand that he can watch SABC etc quite easily by plugging in an aerial to the TV tuner card. What I would like to know now is how you could go about getting DSTV on the PC? Is it as easy?

We have a single view decoder (so I realise we'd be stuck with one channel on both for now) in the lounge. What would need to be plugged into the PC to get it showing on there? And what would I need to get different channels on both?

I am looking at a basic TV tuner card like this one - Kworld / V-Stream TV/Video Tuner card-Retail+FM Radio+Remote. And what minimum spec would you need on the PC to make this usable? Remember I am busy buying a HD4670 graphics card.

How does your DSTV connect to the TV in the lounge (which cable setup) ?
    : Inspired to violence by majesty :
    - Die Toten König -

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto_Helix View Post
    Also how far is your son's room from your DSTV decoder since the length of the cables will also have an influence on the quality of the picture and sound going to his computer.

Banned

Sorry, I missed this response. Um, I'm tempted to say the "normal" set up as I do not know any other way. The dish cable plugs into the DSTV decoder and then from there it is connected to the TV via red, white and yellow connectors to the same in the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
    Also how far is your son's room from your DSTV decoder since the length of the cables will also have an influence on the quality of the picture and sound going to his computer.
    It is a flat so the distances are not too large. The room is fairly close but it will probably take about 15m of cable, maybe a little more. As it is though the cable from the dish runs a fair distance to the decoder as it is on the roof three floors up.

Damn, I have no idea on how to split it with the red/yellow/white setup ....... I had the old aerial type setup before I got the PVR and I just split that with a 3-way jack and sent cable to the room ..... Sorry bru
    - Die Toten König -

You need 3 of these to split the signal and sound.(rca adapter 2 to 1).They cost around R5 each from electronics or tv shops.

As for your 2nd problem.There is no other way than R55 a month more for extraview plus 2nd decoder.
    "Never debate with an educated fool..."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    You need 3 of these to split the signal and sound.(rca adapter 2 to 1).They cost around R5 each from electronics or tv shops.
    Thanks, but what would I do with those once I have them? Where would they plug in and then what would I need running to the PC? Also will the TV tuner card mentioned be necessary or can it plug into the HD4670? And will they have these connections?

Yip, lots of questions but as stated this is something I have not done before.

You Y-split each signal.

Plug those in the back of your decoder,one for each colour,red,white,yellow
    Now that'll give you 2 inputs for each colour.
    One of each colour goes back to your tv as normal,the other(one of each colour) goes to the tv tuner,with a similar cable(rwy).Connect to "video in".
    Remember,yellow is video,red & white audio.
    If your audio connections on your tv card is different,you just buy a adapter to fit them.
    Change your source in the tv software to cable/composite.
    By adding an aerial to the tv card he can have "limited dualview" by swicthing sources between composite/cable and aerial/tuner.
    "Never debate with an educated fool..."

Banned

OK, just hit a snitch. It seems the TV tuner card I am looking at is a PCI express... and so is that HD4670 graphics card. Now the PC in question only has one PCI express slot....

What do I do? What other TV tuner cards are there? I have seen mention of USB etc... but not so sure I am happy with something sticking out of the computer in the kids room.

afaik TV Tuner cards are just ordinary PCI slots, not PCI-e so you should be cool
    - Die Toten König -

Banned

afaik TV Tuner cards are just ordinary PCI slots, not PCI-e so you should be cool
    Yip, you are right. Another site just mentioned PCI as opposed to PCI-e. I'll be scratching the original site from my set of resources!

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    the TV tuner card I am looking at is a PCI express... and so is that HD4670 graphics card. Now the PC in question only has one PCI express slot....
    There is a difference, you get PCI-e and PCI-e x 16 (graphics).

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Also boards these days come with 1x and 4x slots too.

Banned

Well this is my motherboard Intel® Desktop Board D101GGC

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Hey guys,

This just occurred to me and without doing any research I thought I'd out it out here to let the experts put me in the right direction.

I have been considering putting a TV tuner card in my son's PC in his room for a while so that he can watch TV in there (and in reference to the TV license thread - yes we do have a TV license for the flat - just not in my name ).

Now I understand that he can watch SABC etc quite easily by plugging in an aerial to the TV tuner card. What I would like to know now is how you could go about getting DSTV on the PC? Is it as easy?

We have a single view decoder (so I realise we'd be stuck with one channel on both for now) in the lounge. What would need to be plugged into the PC to get it showing on there? And what would I need to get different channels on both?

I am looking at a basic TV tuner card like this one - Kworld / V-Stream TV/Video Tuner card-Retail+FM Radio+Remote. And what minimum spec would you need on the PC to make this usable? Remember I am busy buying a HD4670 graphics card.
    run/split rf out from decoder to your pc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast