Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Do you think journalists should fear coming to South Africa?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 36.25%
  • No

51 63.75%
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Journo scared of SA

Default UK Journo scared of SA

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Soc...o_scared_of_SA

Do you agree or disagree with the journalist?

I think she's exagerating a tad.
    "For me there are only two type of women: goddesses and doormats" Pablo Picasso

One Surfermoon said South Africans were offended by the “poorly researched and inflammatory article”. “Doesn’t the successful hosting of the World Cup cricket and rugby World Cup, not to mention the Indian Premier League and Confederations Cup count?”

She says she is worried about HIV? Well b^tch if your going to screw someone without a condom anywhere in the world you can be at risk of HIV.

She sounds like a slut who does not like condoms and thinks every single SA has AIDS hahaha

F off you stupid cow, we can and will host an amazing comp just like we have done in the past. I do not recall any problems with the Pro 20 and confed cup we just hosted, i did not hear many stories of people being raped and murdered that had come from other countries to watch these comps.
    Last edited by killadoob; 13-07-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Super Grandmaster

Default Why going to South Africa for the World Cup terrifies me

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...2010-world-cup

Statistics, anecdotes and research suggest that touring the Rainbow nation as a fan next summer could be a dangerous option. In fact, the 2010 World Cup should have gone to Egypt.
    An alarmist and ill-informed article which has over 450 responses mostly in favour of SA hosting the 2010 cup.

I have to agree with one concern of hers -

Of course, much violence occurs in the townships but, looking in from the outside, a major problem appears to be the lack of public transport. Where are the wonderful train services that helped Germany 2006 run so smoothly? After reporting on last month's Confederations Cup, the journalist Gabriele Marcotti wrote: "Public transport is generally poor and, besides, most foreign tourists are told not to take buses and trains."
    We are less than a year away from the 2010 Cup - the taxis are gearing up for war, we in Cape Town still have not even a whiff off anything resembling a transport plan and I'm waiting to see the much lauded new buses.

This from Capetown.gov.co.za :-

Transport
    Joint funding by all three spheres of government to improve Cape Town’s transport infrastructure
    Major investment in the rail system
    Development, enhancement of strategic transport corridors and major routes
    Restructuring of road-based public transport services into unified, integrated public transport services
    Investment in long distance public transport facilities
    Investment in Non-Motorised Transport facilities (NMT)
    Intelligent transport systems and travel demand management
    Stadium precinct infrastructure and inner city distribution system
    Comprehensive overall operational management of the support systems including safety and security
    Airport to city link
    Major investment in the rail system - none at all
    Restructuring of road-based public transport services into unified, integrated public transport services - none at all
    Investment in long distance public transport facilities - none at all
    Investment in Non-Motorised Transport facilities (NMT) - ??!
    Intelligent transport systems and travel demand management - invisible or doesn't exist
    Stadium precinct infrastructure and inner city distribution system - we wait with bated breath.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how we are going to get 68000 people out of the stadium and out of the city before the sun comes up.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

LOL I also thought it was a bit dramatic. Sheesh! I think she might be up for an Oscar.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I think she has the cat by the tail a bit but hey what do these people read about us and as a woman how scared should you be of rape when it happens every minute in this country and now our police is in Doodoo because they cooked the crime figures.
    So yes we know she has the wrong idea, but i was not allowed to go to Israel because they capture white woman and put them in to harems....

“Such fears are usually based more on perceptions than statistics, but unfortunately the statistics – not to mention anecdotal evidence – confirm that soccer fans like me have reason to be more than a little anxious,” she wrote.
    /\
    |
    This part of her article is the truth though.
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Blog Entries

I don't blame her, but then it is the media's fault. However, I don't think stupid people should come here, a midnight stroll around a township is probably not going to be the safest idea (but then again neither is a midnight stroll around Hyde Park).
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    I think she has the cat by the tail a bit but hey what do these people read about us and as a woman how scared should you be of rape when it happens every minute in this country and now our police is in Doodoo because they cooked the crime figures.
    So yes we know she has the wrong idea, but i was not allowed to go to Israel because they capture white woman and put them in to harems....

“Such fears are usually based more on perceptions than statistics, but unfortunately the statistics – not to mention anecdotal evidence – confirm that soccer fans like me have reason to be more than a little anxious,” she wrote.
    /\
    |
    This part of her article is the truth though.
    Well, as South Africans, we're all frightened of the statistics.
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Grandmaster

Guys, look at whats happening here. Cars are still getting set alight when people disagree with things!

I agree some people might be scared to come here.

But if they don't sort the strike out soon we can forget 2010.
    Veritas vos liberabit

I agree Mila. There is some truth to her story but i feel rather warn people of the reality of living in SA than terrify the crap out of them about coming here. Yes crime is a problem but if you are aware of your surroundings you can avoid it.

So far so cheery. Then there was the recent news that G4S, the world's biggest security firm, has declined to work at next summer's World Cup. Nick Buckles, the organisation's chief executive, took that decision after revealing that G4S rated South Africa more dangerous than Iraq and Afghanistan.
    WTF...??

No seriously... WTF?!!!

Edit: I find this very hard to believe. Looking at G4Ss website, they have a very strong presence in SA: http://www.g4s.com/za and here: http://www.g4s.com/home/g4s_worldwide/south_africa.htm

Only a retard would not pursue a big security contract for the World Cup. Something sounds off in the article. Or Nick Buckles is just being sour because he didn't get the contract.
    Last edited by EtienneK; 13-07-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    My Personal Website << Work in progress!!

her fear of crime, HIV
    HIV? LOL
    WTF is she planning on doing?

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneK View Post
    WTF...??

No seriously... WTF?!!!
    My guess is they're worried about making the necessary financial investment in SA - if the financial return was good enough they'd do it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serqet View Post
    I agree Mila. There is some truth to her story but i feel rather warn people of the reality of living in SA than terrify the crap out of them about coming here. Yes crime is a problem but if you are aware of your surroundings you can avoid it.
    +10

Who watched the hulk last night? Is that how Brazil looks? I would never ever go there if it looks like that!! I hate crowds.

And as far as i know that is only in the movies
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

I stay in SA and I'm scared!!
    MY BLOED IS BLOU!
    Kick SANRAL in the gantries! DO NOT REGISTER OR BUY E-TAGS!
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vrotappel-2351/

Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast