Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Claiming Medical (Dental) Expenses from SARS

Grandmaster

Default Claiming Medical (Dental) Expenses from SARS

Can I claim back the tax paid out of my own pocket for medical expenses when submitting my tax return? The medical bills I paid was quite substantial...
    Last edited by FaNIX; 22-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Er, nope. Why would you think you can?
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

AFAIK, you can claim back the tax you paid on any medical expences not covered by your medical aid, i.e. out of pocket medical expences are deducted from your taxable income before the calculation is done. I don't know if this would include the Disprins one buys from the cafe.

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simp View Post
    AFAIK, you can claim back the tax you paid on any medical expences not covered by your medical aid, i.e. out of pocket medical expences are deducted from your taxable income before the calculation is done. I don't know if this would include the Disprins one buys from the cafe.
    Really? Does one have to be covered by medical aid to receive this then? I can't find anything on SARS' website about this...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Super Grandmaster

IIRC you can claim all out-of-pocket expenses over 5% of your taxable income before this deduction i.e.

Out-of-pocket medical costs less Taxable income before medical deduction x 5% = allowable deduction

edit/ may have changed since my article days - have a look here (no 6 from the bottom -) http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=...pubs&show=1260
    Last edited by undesign; 22-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Grandmaster

I was told it was 7.5% of your annual Taxable income?