I've got this annoying problem when surfing the internet.
Every couple of minutes a new browser window automatically opens up and connects to a site adserver.adreactor.com.
I’ve done the following already to try & prevent it:
1. Deleted temporary internet files and cookies.
2. Enabled pop-up blocker in IE.
3. Cleaned index.dat file with a program (30 day trail version - cannot remember the name right now)
4. Cleaned the windows registry using Trend Micro & CCleaner.
5. Added the site name to the windows host file.
6. Added the cookie name to my Trend Micro unwanted cookies list.
7. Added the site name to the list of Restricted Sites in IE.
8. Ran hijackthis, but could not see anything meaningful to my problem.
I’m not a Windows expert, just followed advice given on various sites. All I’ve managed so far is to stop the window from creating any cookies and connecting to the intended site.
The window unfortunately is still opening up as before.
Does anyone here know how to permanently stop this window from opening up? Maybe there is a freeware program that can clean this up for me?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
(Using IE 7 on Windows XP Service Pack 3)
Just found a comment on an older thread recommending "Spybot". The comments were not exactly related to my problem but I will give it a try tonight.