Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Thread: When will iBurst drop prices...?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rustum View Post
    @ D34m0n7

Here's a nice rant against Vodacom and the Telecoms industry in general, which I thought you might enjoy.

Also a reference to online gaming in the US, so thought of general interest:

Finding digs to rent in Virginia, US, was a totally free doddle for me, and every location I visited took it for granted that wireless internet access was in the same category as a bathroom. Utilities may or may not have been included in the rental, but free wireless internet access at the best speeds available always was. No modem, no limits — just a security passphrase the first time you connect to the household router. After that, you’re connected the moment you switch your PC or laptop on.

Shahaan, my fellow lodger in Del Ray ran three companies in India and Sri Lanka in his spare time and spent his weekends playing high-level bandwidth-intensive multiplayer games against opponents in seven different countries (except SA) — for mahala. In South Africa I can barely afford to keep my anti-virus software up to date.

Llewellyn Kriel at ThoughtLeader.
    Hm... yes that's true, in many countries internet is free and once again if you look at how iBurst describes internet being an expensive thing to provide we can see how we are being taken for idiots. Although many people do fall into their little trap, I have met many people who believe that internet is a expensive type of magic xD

But on a more serious note just to show everyone how bad it is here, in France the McDonalds fast food restaurants have free wifi for not only their customers but anyone who is close enough to access it that is faster than the maximum speed available in this country.

A typical way of making up a excuse would be to say that this is Africa, but that means nothing in the world of telecoms, a network is a network no matter where you live the network has basically the same cost needed to run no matter where you are because in the end its just some electro-magnetic waves, electrical pulses or a beam of light through a tube. The real costs come when ... um ... wait ... there are no real costs to it of course employees need to be paid but if you have 30 000 customers paying around lets say R300 for uncapped internet you do make a proffit, iBurst lies to you when they talk about advertising costs factored into your internet price, I mean how stupid can you be, advertising pays for itself you don't need to charge your customers hundreds of rands extra just to cover some 'advertisements'.

In the end don't let iBurst get away with this bad service many things are happening now that they say will be over soon or in a few years, this is unacceptable these things such as high latency and high costs should never have been there in the first place. When they say it'll be over soon don't compliment them you should say something like 'its about bloody time, I pay you for a reason.' because in the end we do pay them and therefore they owe it to us to provide a good service, something which we have not yet seen.

Some other things that need sorting out are things such as this, I read a forum not too long ago about people asking iBurst if they could get an extra 64kb/s on top of the current 64kb/s throttle once capped for the price of R150... Are we so pathetic that we would let a company take our money like that, we are supposed to be past ISDN and 56k speeds yet I see people every day willing to put up with it, people like this are enabling ISPs to charge this much for our internet, so please if you relay want prices to go down we are going to have to demand it instead of giving way to outright profiteering.

Once again I'll state this fact, in many countries internet is free, even parks have it so you can stream media during your morning jog and this internet is faster than what we have now, so that's free fast internet and we are paying R449 for slower than 1mb/s 3GB cap... I say unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by D34M0n7 View Post
    Once again I'll state this fact, in many countries internet is free, even parks have it so you can stream media during your morning jog
    and this internet is faster than what we have now, so that's free fast internet and we are paying R449 for slower than 1mb/s 3GB cap... I say unacceptable.
    Amen to that brother....

If I don't hear some good news on Monday, I am gonna freak....

if you want mickey mouse internet go for I-Burst - and i'm not even talking about their expensive prices.

the best way is to go with ADSL - R60 per Gig. faster, and better latencies.

Vodacom are also as bad as iBurst - they charge R2 a meg if you go over your limit.

Telkom's ADSL on the other hand usually give you 1/2 Gig or more free every month, and you also get 10/20/30 GIGS local access for free.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    if you want mickey mouse internet go for I-Burst - and i'm not even talking about their expensive prices.

the best way is to go with ADSL - R60 per Gig. faster, and better latencies.

Vodacom are also as bad as iBurst - they charge R2 a meg if you go over your limit.

Telkom's ADSL on the other hand usually give you 1/2 Gig or more free every month, and you also get 10/20/30 GIGS local access for free.
    You're forgetting a number of things.

With ADSL you pay line rental. You need to include that.
    With ADSL once you're over the cap, you're cut off.
    Not everyone uses local - I don't use local for example. I download everything except for email and this website from abroad.
    I don't care about latencies. Skype and VoipCheap work well
    for me, even on 64kbps iBurst, heck they even worked on DialUp for me.
    iBurst has been a fast, consistent 1Mbps for me. Overall iBurst is cheaper if you just use your allocated share - ie don't go over cap.
    HOWEVER, if you do go over cap and want to buy a BOOSTER iBurst is VERY EXPENSIVE. 3GB of iBurst booster is R499! That is a rip off.

I don't think we should attack the new iBurst CEO guy. I don't know how much he say he will have at iBurst either. I think the issue is with iBurst as a whole that the boosters are just TOO EXPENSIVE.

If iBurst can drop those booster prices or double or tripple our caps, I'd be happy. As is, I'm only with iBurst because Neotel has no coverage in my area.

Secondly, when you have ADSL you are feeding the 'bad' one. I don't want to feed the devil any more than I have - so outside my telkom landline I don't pay TelKOM a cent for ADSL. You guys with ADSL are contributing to TELKOM ripping everyone off - because you give TELKOM the reason to keep b/w prices high - there is no need to reduce b/w pricing as long as a large group of middle class people are willing to pay line rental fees for 4Mbps lines and 3GB caps.

I would like iBurst to either up the cap - x2 or x3 what it is now OR
    let us buy boosters at cheaper prices OR let us use other suppliers for boosters like WiMAX. Ideally it would be a combination of all 3.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

true, you need to pay R200 or something for the ADSL line, but my point is made: Iburst is a mickey mouse internet company - allthough you think it might be enough for you, in all fairness, YOU are a mickey-mouse user.

i'm not trying to be mean, but thats the truth if you think dialup is still OK.

don't hope for cheaper prices guys, there are plenty of other options.
    check http://www.hellkom.co.za/isp-prices/

for those that don't wanna check:

Cybersmart 384 circuit: R259 for 3GBs - for everything
    If you have never had ADSL and you have a non-prepaid telephone line, choose one option below which is your TOTAL cost to have ADSL: (R275 once off setup fee. FREE ADSL router included)
    how much does a telkom telephone line cost per month, IF you don't have one? 100 bucks?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    true, you need to pay R200 or something for the ADSL line, but my point is made: Iburst is a mickey mouse internet company - allthough you think it might be enough for you, in all fairness, YOU are a mickey-mouse user.
    Oh nonsense. My buddy in Tokyo has >100Mb/sec uncapped internet. That makes you with your 4Mb/sec a Mickey Mouse user too. 4 is not much faster than 1. Though he hardly uses his internet.

With 1Mbps speed I can download gigs of stuff very quickly and I don't pay Telkom. Honestly I get between 100-120KB/sec on iBurst from MU, RS, MF, OMG, and other international sites.

i'm not trying to be mean, but thats the truth if you think dialup is still OK.
    I'm not saying DIAL UP is OK but I am saying that I could use Skype and other P2P telephony services perfectly on K56Flex. The voice quality was GSM
    like - no better or worse than a VodaCom cell phone. I'm not sure why so many people have such connectivity issues. I guess I'm lucky.

Anyway iBurst knows what it must do to keep customers, offer bigger caps or reduced prices or larger softcap speeds. The 1Mb/s speed now is fast enough for me to get what I want at the right speed but sadly I could download about 2-3 times what I DL now. That is the only issue. A Telkom ADSL line and 3rd party account will be cheaper in the long run - if I want to DL 30GB but for up to 10GB it's cheaper to go with iBurst.

If Neotel arrives in my area, I will jump onto Neotel prime Uncapped. If the first month works, I will drop iBurst unless iBurst becomes better.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Super Grandmaster

A real 1Mbps is good enough (120KB/sec) UNLESS you have a genuine UNCAPPED product in which case anything helps. As soon as there is a cap of any sort - speed doesn't matter - as long as it's about 100KB/sec or better.

I agree.

Not everyone has a choice when it comes to choosing an internet provider.
    Eg. I can't get ADSL as I live on a farm and Telkom cant provide for me. Neotel is just pathetic as they just don't seem to expand their coverage.

So, I'm left with iBurst. Quite happy with it, but they will have to lower the price of the boosters and raise the caps a bit. Oh, and sort out accounts dept.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Oh nonsense. My buddy in Tokyo has >100Mb/sec uncapped internet. That makes you with your 4Mb/sec a Mickey Mouse user too. 4 is not much faster than 1. Though he hardly uses his internet.

With 1Mbps speed I can download gigs of stuff very quickly and I don't pay Telkom. Honestly I get between 100-120KB/sec on iBurst from MU, RS, MF, OMG, and other international sites.

I'm not saying DIAL UP is OK but I am saying that I could use Skype and other P2P telephony services perfectly on K56Flex. The voice quality was GSM
    like - no better or worse than a VodaCom cell phone. I'm not sure why so many people have such connectivity issues. I guess I'm lucky.

Anyway iBurst knows what it must do to keep customers, offer bigger caps or reduced prices or larger softcap speeds. The 1Mb/s speed now is fast enough for me to get what I want at the right speed but sadly I could download about 2-3 times what I DL now. That is the only issue. A Telkom ADSL line and 3rd party account will be cheaper in the long run - if I want to DL 30GB but for up to 10GB it's cheaper to go with iBurst.

If Neotel arrives in my area, I will jump onto Neotel prime Uncapped. If the first month works, I will drop iBurst unless iBurst becomes better.
    I'm sorry to inform you that you are not the only person using the iBurst connection, please don't assume that just because iBurst meets your needs that it will meet the needs of every customer.

I support the statement that you are a micky-mouse user because you think that its ok for a company to charge R449 for a 3GB cap at 1mb/s... even though you stated that you would like an increase in cap that does not solve the many problems that many customers are having with the service such as high latency.

You must remember that iBurst is ripping you off, even if they increase cap size the problem will still persist as cap should not exist.

A common excuse for capping internet is that the service cannot handle large throughput of data... this is ridiculous because that's what shaping internet is for.

And how can you accuse ADSL users of supporting high bw prices? That's absurd, ADSL users get better service and a constant connection with higher speeds and lower latency, to give an example would be to compare it to the internet in America, you can get free wireless internet but you have to pay a bit if you want ADSL. And not everyone can afford 100mb/s uncapped internet, though I will say we should be able to get it for under R2000/month but right now we need to focus on getting the prices sorted where the most activity is and that's currently getting rid of caps all together.

I'm satisfied with the possibility of having a 1mb/s connection but currently my internet operates at 512kb/s and I'm limited to 3GB, so please once more don't assume that just because you are happy that everyone else should be.

If anyone should be blamed for allowing ISPs to get away with high prices it would be people like you, you are ignorant of what internet should be like.

Wow so much ranting... You guys cant expect changes to happen over night. And you cant really complain about bad latencies, wireless internet wasn't designed for low latencies but rather for mobility. And one more thing. When you signed up with iBurst you were happy with the prices... then you discovered that you could get cheaper internet access from a different ISP and then you started to whine. Before signing up for any thing you should do your homework and if you dont you can only blame yourself.

And btw i have a friend in scotland who pays about R400pm for a 8Mb line and a 40 gig cap so no caps aren't that uncommon.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Tree View Post
    When you signed up with iBurst you were happy with the prices... then you discovered that you could get cheaper internet access from a different ISP and then you started to whine. Before signing up for any thing you should do your homework and if you dont you can only blame yourself.
    Remember some of us did not sign up yesterday but have been with iBurst for years at which time the 'broadband' landscape looked very different to what it does today.
    Times change and so do expectations.

What we are saying is:

Unless things improve dramatically those of us who can are moving to a different ISP.
    Those of us who do not have an different option available want quality and value for money compared to other offerings in the market.

The 'whining' should be seen as an opportunity for iBurst to improve their offerings and retain existing customers.

I would love to drop my 4mb adsl for Iburst as latency does not bother me at all. I need mobility for work and home. I will be more than happy if they can compete with ADSL.
    I wonder if Iburst or RPM can answer this, how come wireless cost more as they only send signals as where telkom has fix lines being laid out all the time. How much does it really cost for one tower and to service it?
    Only if I may asked, I don't want to be rude but if Iburst is doing their best with the capital they have,* I would more than understand it and maybe support them. *

The thing is I want to know if you are ripping us off, as I have heard no denial so far from the CEO and he should have access to the financial department, I'm sure. Maybe provide us with better products, increase client base that will result in increase profits? Was wondering if you can offer a service where you can steal contracted users? How, simply put, offer to pay the cancelation cost of the client's previous contract and offer a free router. You can make your investment back over time as you work it into the price? So basically you can over a price range for profits, you can give value for buck. This will enable iburst to steal most of S.A in a very short time as word by mouth is the most power full marketing tool.
    Iburst is a good company and I am sure they will iron out all the bugs. Rember the new CEO needs to adjust and plan the company before h can just go and say, ok price drop on Monday!
    (Not sure around the laws but if it is possible is this a sh*t idea or could it work?)

I understand where you guys are coming from but you just have to be patient, Shaun has said that changes are coming and I think we all owe it to him to trust him.

As of today telkoms prices are down so lets wait see if we get any price cuts.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast