Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: RAM channel confusion

Default RAM channel confusion

Hey guys,

You've all been really helpful with a number of issues as of late, so I'm calling on you all again

My mobo has 4 RAM slots, 2 in orange, 2 in green. I understand the colours correspond to different channels.

Here are my questions:

1. What is meant by a channel?

2. If I have 2 RAM chips (Which I do, 2x1GB), should they be on the same or different channels?

3. If I want to upgrade my RAM, is it OK for me to put a 3rd stick in, say 2GB, on a different channel? Or should RAM always run on the same channel? What difference will it make?

Really have no idea about this stuff, can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks again guys.

tnx for the article, was an interesting read but it didn't mention anything about channels

ok sorry didn't see the 2nd article! that one was somewhat helpful, still a bit confused tho! ^_^
    Last edited by Subversion; 07-08-2009 at 09:48 PM.

A channel is like a bandwidth pipe between the CPU and Memory, your board has dual channel so basically you want your memory on different channels, i.e. your CPU can
    utilize both dimms at the same time.

3) Maybe ok, check the manual if there's a 2GB max per channel if any.

think what i'll do is get a pair of 1GB sticks and put them on the same channel, tnx for all the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    think what i'll do is get a pair of 1GB sticks and put them on the same channel, tnx for all the help guys
    What operating system? Reason I ask if you are going to use Win 7 or any 64 bit OS then beter to get 2*2GB sticks. They are cheap and it would be worth your while.