Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Local online startup gets R 10million in VC funding

Default Local online startup gets R 10million in VC funding

Local online startup gets R 10million in VC funding

Online chess portal Chesscube gets $ 1.25million funding from InVenFin

Anyone seen The History of the World Part 1

"Knight jump Queen! Bishop jump Queen! Pawns jump Queen! ... GANG BANG!!"

Super Grandmaster

Baboom!

I though VC was Vodacom. I was going all like Woop Woop but then I was all like droop.
    Then I read Lazy's comment and I was all like

How does chesscube actually make money though? Sponsored chess tournaments?
    Perhaps it's time we took a contract out on Murphy.

Hosted in Cape Town? Must be expen$ive to run...

Quote Originally Posted by davemc View Post
    How does chesscube actually make money though? Sponsored chess tournaments?
    I asked the CEO about their business plans, but no feedback yet. Online chess is not an easy place to make money - many excellent free sites available to play. The ICC charges, but they are truly superior to the rest in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Chesscube is great

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    I asked the CEO about their business plans, but no feedback yet. Online chess is not an easy place to make money - many excellent free sites available to play. The ICC charges, but they are truly superior to the rest in my opinion.
    I play on Chesscube am are quite happy with them. I used to have an ICC subscription, but I don't play often enough to justify it, so I cancelled.

As far as I can see (from a user perspective), the revenue is from advertising (Chess books, chess courses, etc), it's not too intrusive & I just ignore it.

Didn't know they were hosted in SA though ...
    PTA East - HTC Desire HD
    4Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Agreed, ICC rules. I did not even know of chesscube's existence until today...will check it out though (local is lekker)

I can't believe people still play Chess; whilst it does provide a mild sense of satisfaction when one carries out some strategic line, one essentially have to memorize a host of openings to really be competitive.

Chess is too arbitrary and the fact that computer chess engines can dominate any human prodigy should at least move people to reconsider the sort of games people invest time in.

Enter Go/Baduk/Weichi/Igo, the oldest boardgame, which embodies the fluid eastern philosopy of the yin and yang, as opposed to chess which represents western philosopy. Go only has 3 simple rules, yet there are far more game possibilities than electrons in the known universe. Go indulges your spatio-visual and intuitive faculties, whilst still giving ample opportunity to weave intricate strategies with a colourful array of tactics and maneuvers.

Go is the national past time of inhabitants of China, Japan and Korea, they obsess about this game. Their governments pay professional players to play and teach this game. Young children wish to become the professionals they aspire to, and teenagers and adults alike jerk off to posters of professionals on their walls. If you master Go, you become a god in the east. Some tournaments even offer prize money to the liking of a golf tourney.

Computer Go engines are no match to a player with about even 2 years of casual Go experience, and not to mention the 9 dan pro's who breathe Go.

It's easy to get started playing Go, just go to http://www.gokgs.com/applet.jsp .
    Exchange unprofitable religious speculations for actual God-contact; let in the fresh, healing waters of direct perception.

Please include links on these articles

Quote Originally Posted by malec View Post
    Please include links on these articles
    Which articles?

Quote Originally Posted by Catal View Post
    I can't believe people still play Chess; whilst it does provide a mild sense of satisfaction when one carries out some strategic line, one essentially have to memorize a host of openings to really be competitive.
    Welcome to the last 15 centuries , yes people still play it, more so than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by Catal View Post
    Chess is too arbitrary and the fact that computer chess engines can dominate any human prodigy should at least move people to reconsider the sort of games people invest time in.
    If you are referring to Deep Blue vs Kasparov, then you should appreciate the fact that a human brain which at most can think 15 moves ahead can still beat an engine which can think 1000's of moves ahead...pure instinct and art ; yes kasparov lost 2-1 and drew 3, but then again had no history of the engine's game, while the engine had what, 3 decades of history on Kasparov

Online chess is plagued by the fact that anyone can run a chess engine with an ELO of 2500+ on their pc and cheat in their online games, as many kiddies do.

Whilst with online Go, you do not even have 3 dan amateur engine at your disposal for 19x19 games, and even if they did, the value that the eastern tradition place on honour deters cheating to a large extent.

Don't get me wrong, I used to obsess over chess as well, and I played in my high school's first chess team for years. It's just that you get a greater return on the time you invest in Go, since your acquired skill is not cheapened by cheating and the fact that any core 2 duo can beat you even if you have spent years practicing.
    Exchange unprofitable religious speculations for actual God-contact; let in the fresh, healing waters of direct perception.

This reminds me of what i use to do to annoy people.. i'd get a chess simulator thingy and then basically play people based on what they did vs my simulator and go up in rank fast use to do that on yahoo, msn etc shame people were amazed
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Yeah, I understand the cheating, but then again when you play rated opponents, its very easy to spot a cheater. I have been playing on ICC for years and rated cheaters are quickly spotted and banned, so dont have that problem. Also I dont get hung up on cheaters, in fact when they cheat they are doing me a favour...cause the last thing you want to do in chess is play someone weaker then you...cause that weakens your game

Super Grandmaster

Thanks Catal. Never even knew Go existed.
    Perhaps it's time we took a contract out on Murphy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast