Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: My guide to motivating and buying headphones

Default My guide to motivating and buying headphones

Step 1. - Listen to fools ramble in office
    Step 2 - Get annoyed due to the fact that this audible junk is distracting
    Step 3 - Go to take2.co.za
    Step 4 - Drewl over R1,500 class headphones.
    Step 5 - Look at lowest price
    Step 6 - Discover that they won't cancel out the audible junk in office
    Step 7 - Get annoyed as audible ramblings are still going strong
    Step 8 - Think about R1,500 again
    Step 9 - Find Zalman noise reduction headphones for R600
    Step 10 - Wait for payday
    Librarian - The original search engine

very informative, and motivation.. as per usual

One of those days when you wnat to take off your socks and stuff them in mouths
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    One of those days when you wnat to take off your socks and stuff them in mouths
    Tempting... but seeing as the boss is one of the culprits, common sense dictates a definite NO

noise canceling only blocks consistant noise(jet engine hum). not voices...

just so you know
    42 yrs of Apartheid (1948 - 1990) + 23 yrs of BEE, AA & EE (1990 - 2013) = 65 yrs of sanctioned racism in SA, I hope my kids will see the end of it.

best headphones I've bought were a set from Clicks for R50. They have the rubber on the front that fits inside your ear. Just putting them in my ear blocked out a lot of the office noise. Turning on music at a low volume put me in my own little world

Quote Originally Posted by greggpb View Post
    noise canceling only blocks consistant noise(jet engine hum). not voices...

just so you know
    Thanks.

Any headphone that can cover your whole ear, cancels out external mumblings-in-the-office just fine. I had cheap ones before... they worked great. Now I'm pushing for some quality

Fancy schmancy noise cancelling electronics have limits.

Rather just get a set of full-cup closed headphones from Sennheiser.

The "DJ" series are all designed to cut out all ambient / environmental sounds and given that they're designed for applications in high volume environments, they'll work in a noisy office.

Sennheiser HD212 Pro.

OR

If you don't mind the in-ear style headphones then get a set of Shure sound isolating earphones. Try the Shure SE310

These were designed for people that work in sound stages and concerts and the rubber pieces block off ALL sounds. Excellent audio fidelity too.
    These work well in an international flight during take-off and landing despite being seated behind the wing, you hear NOTHING else but your music.

Might be expensive if you think R1500 is too much but they're highly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by foozball3000 View Post
    Thanks.

Any headphone that can cover your whole ear, cancels out external mumblings-in-the-office just fine. I had cheap ones before... they worked great. Now I'm pushing for some quality
    Not necessarily. I have Sennheiser HD590 headphones that go over your ears but they don't really cancel any noise. Then again, they weren't made to. Supra Aural or some such term.
    Lo, they do call to me,
    they bid me take my place among them,
    in the Halls of Valhalla,
    where the brave may live...forever.

+1 for Sennheiser - very good quality.

For PC/office use the expensive stuff is overkill. The fact that your PC is causing all sorts of interference and that you are listening to mp3's that have lost a lot quality due to lossy compression means that sound quality is rubbish anyway. Your headphones are only as good as your inputs.

Now, if your input is sourced from something made by B&O - then your R150.00 Musica midnight specials aren't going to cut it.

I'm not sure, but it's dark and there are LCD screens.

Quote Originally Posted by EffKay View Post
    Rather just get a set of full-cup closed headphones from Sennheiser.

The "DJ" series are all designed to cut out all ambient / environmental sounds and given that they're designed for applications in high volume environments, they'll work in a noisy office.

Sennheiser HD212 Pro.
    I've got the HD202s. Gone through two pairs in about 3 years but I use them every day and carry them around a lot. Pretty much the best R350 I have ever spent

I've got the HD205 dj series too, but the 202s knock the crap out of them, and cost less than half the price
    Normal people want parties and sex, but all I need is octal and hex