Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Renewal of drivers license

Default Renewal of drivers license

Hey all,

What's the easiest/quickest way to renew your drivers licence these days?

I've been to the traffic department in Randburg twice now and both times the queues have been rediculous, so i've just left. I generally cant afford to spend 2 hours away from work standing in a queue.

I did some google'ing and saw that certain spec savers use to offer renewals. You just had to make a booking and you could do the eye test and everything with them. The one in Fourways crossing use to do that, but I called and apparently that service is no longer available.

Are there any other options other than going to a traffice department? And if not,...which one is generally the quickest in JHB?

Thanks.

Some travel centres do it, for a big fee of course, but you still need to go and get your eyes tested and finger prints taken yourself.
    Roger , Thanks , Cheers.....

Blog Entries

having just spent TWO DAYS in the queue, and the guy next to me actually spent more...Tuesday to Friday.... these guys are going to force you to stand and wait. The guy next to me also tried to collect his wife's licence and they wouldn't let him...she had to come and queue just like him.

So you are damned if you do and screwed if you don't...no short cuts in KZN, anyway...
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

Super Grandmaster

Went to Centurion early Monday morning (there at 6:30), 15 people ahead of me. Offices opened at 8, was out of there by 8:40.
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

A colleague of mine get his done last week at the Sandton branch. He got there at about 10h30 and was gone within 20 minutes. I think the trick is to avoid the early morning and lunch time rush.
    Welcome to the Animal Farm!!!

Blog Entries

Now you guys know why some of us retire to KZN, where it only takes between 2 and 5 days in the queue....
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

hehe, i went to wartburg in KZN, 2 people infront of me, 10 minute job
    WA my new favorite ISP

I went to Randburg department at around 12.30pm last week, just 3 people in the queue..took 15 minutes - bloke takes your fingerprints, pastes photographs and does eye test - and then you pay at the cashier - . DO NOT GO IN THE MORNING.

Blog Entries

Well I suppose we have to pay for living on the Coast somehow!

Flickr

>>The guy next to me also tried to collect his wife's licence and they wouldn't let him...she had to come and queue just like him.

not true. You just need to know what documents are required to collect on someone else's behalf. These documents are mentioned on the receipt.

1. Letter of authorisation (get it stamped in the nearest police station)
    2. ID of person who is going to collect license + certified copy of ID in case they want to keep
    3. Certified copy of applicant's ID
    4. Receipt
    5. Temporary driving license (they will return back this to you)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    >>The guy next to me also tried to collect his wife's licence and they wouldn't let him...she had to come and queue just like him.

not true. You just need to know what documents are required to collect on someone else's behalf. These documents are mentioned on the receipt.

1. Letter of authorisation (get it stamped in the nearest police station)
    2. ID of person who is going to collect license + certified copy of ID in case they want to keep
    3. Certified copy of applicant's ID
    4. Receipt
    5. Temporary driving license (they will return back this to you)
    Maybe in Gauteng, but here in KZN where we waited 5 days to be served, we got a flat blank stare at an ID book and temp licence/receipt...guess it depends which moron is on duty and whether they are in the mood or not!

Flickr