Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 45 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mede8er - Locally manufactured and distribted media player

Thumbs up Mede8er - Locally manufactured and distribted media player

Hi Guys, I recently purchased one of these (Friday morning 11th Sept 2009) and had it delivered (Free) via the website http://www.mede8er.co.za

It arrived 1st thing Monday morning as promised and I eagerly opened the precious cargo to reveal a great looking product. You can view the pics of the "Unpacking" here:

I didn't install a drive into the unit, but used my 1.5Tb external drive and connected it to the Mede8er via its USB port. It picked it all up no problems and when I later on decided to "hot plug" a 2nd external drive via the second USB port it picked that up too.

Plugged it in and started it up. Setup was really simple. All we needed to do was to set the video output (HDMI/TV system) to 1080p and that was it.

The menu system of the Mede8er is impressive and what I really liked was the fast forward (FFWD) process, it toggles to x2, x4, x8, x16, x32 extremely smoothly and flips back into play mode as easily. You actually watch it FFWD in real time frame by frame, no blocky jumps. The slow frame feature offered the same performance. Toggles in steps of 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 speeds and provides a frame by frame toggle as well. The 3/4 and 1/2 speeds not only slowed video but amusingly enough slowed the audio too.

When browsing your folders and begin to select media, a preview is shown on the right of the highlighted media file. If you have a jpeg in a folder and you select that folder, that jpeg is shown on the right with some additional file info. Great for browsing through a movie collection.

We tested the video playback using varying formats which it handled with no problems at all. *.MVK *.Mp4 *.Avi *.Divx *.Vob It played back standard definition, 720p and even 1080p content with no frame skipping, nothing. A smooth HD experience all around.

We then connected the Medi8er to the internet via its LAN port and selected its Internet Radio option. It downloaded the available channels and played them with ease. Once we had selected one of the channels, we were presented with a list of URL's which was a little unexpected, but once we selected one of the available URLs it offered, we heard U2 belting out the speakers. We then selected a few *.Mp3 files and the MP3 playback was good.

Next we wanted to test the UPNP function. We had setup earlier that morning a UPNP server on our network. The Mede8er found it immediately and we could browse through its folders and contents as though it was browsing an internal file system.

Well done to the guys at Sanji, nice to have a local product with a 2 year warranty, 24/72 hr Shipping and a 30 day Money back Guarantee. Well Done!

A few things I will try tomorrow, is to add a hard drive to the unit and format it via the Mede8er, I see the website recommends this as you gain additional functionality (?)

I will add my NAS to the network and enable the NAS option on the Mede8er and see how it handles that.

So all in all based on limited testing and initial impressions I would strongly recommend this product.

Recent Edit

I considered Deleting this post but then I figured I wouldn't just to satisfy 1 naysayer.

Tired of accusations suggesting I work for Sanji / some Mede8er sales office.

I just wanted to contribute to the community and provide some of my honest feed back. Seems this community is too busy looking for the flaws and negative aspects of a post to see a simple contribution.
    Last edited by Kleine Fische; 15-09-2009 at 09:58 AM.

sales pitch
    "Never debate with an educated fool..."

Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    sales pitch
    Always nice to see an informative post get tainted with 2 words. No supporting proof or information. Awesome!

So, here we go a little disclaimer:

I do not work for nor am affiliated by any means to Sanji or the Mede8er project.

@ JustAsk; try the cup half full approach to life

Nice! Price?

Sound specs?

It is a great product, so even if it was a sales pitch in disguise, I would not have a problem with that.

Sadly, I bought a Iomega a while back. Without doing any research... Not the smartest thing I have ever done, but the Iomega does what I need it to do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    It is a great product, so even if it was a sales pitch in disguise, I would not have a problem with that.

Sadly, I bought a Iomega a while back. Without doing any research... Not the smartest thing I have ever done, but the Iomega does what I need it to do for now.
    No sales pitch, if I was complaining about it I would have posted a comprehensive post, so why not do the same when you have a pleasant experience?

I also bought the iOmega, in fact I bought 2 (a 200 Gb and a 300Gb) with zero research into the products. They have been mediocre IMO but did "fill a gap" I guess.
    Last edited by Kleine Fische; 14-09-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Mb - Gb

Still no Nice price?

Quote Originally Posted by I am Penguin View Post
    Still no Nice price?
    I think it is under R2500 without the HDD.

Still thinks it a sale pitch but lets leave it there.

The only thing slightly different from the regular hdd players is the mkv support.

No pvr support,no mp3+g support,to name a few.

I've had a media player pitched to me just a month ago with same specs plus slot-in mini bluray drive which i could sell for R200 more.

I don't say its bad,its just not...hmm great.
    "Never debate with an educated fool..."

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    I think it is under R2500 without the HDD.
    Wow, then I smell a HTPC Mobo with HDMI 1.3, DTS 7.1 HD Master sound and HDCP compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    Still thinks it a sale pitch but lets leave it there.
    Why? is he a salesman or just someone that bought the device? Hmmmm.

The Mede8er is R2,388 incl. VAT. Really good price. Now I just need to get my new TV. Somehow my crappy CRT is just not going to cut it yet.

@I am Penguin Kleine Fische bought the device. The only way people will know what devices are good or not is by reading what other people's experiences are with them, whether they are good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodmusicman View Post
    The Mede8er is R2,388 incl. VAT. Really good price. Now I just need to get my new TV. Somehow my crappy CRT is just not going to cut it yet.

@I am Penguin Kleine Fische bought the device. The only way people will know what devices are good or not is by reading what other people's experiences are with them, whether they are good or bad.
    I know this was discussed in another thread. Therefore my question to JustAsk, I guessed he did not ask before ASSuming!

Honestly guys Kleine is trying to help his community. Can’t we give credit where its due. Sanji have developed a great media player and the Mede8er is really great. I bought one and really love the unit, best thing I ever bought.

Just because the guy is praising the unit and giving his community feedback doesn’t mean he work for the guys. Kleine probably wishes he did in fact work for them as I do but unfortunately some wishes are just that wishes.

JustAsk I suggest playing with a Mede8er before you comment. Once you have actually used a Mede8er then by all means comment but before using a unit I don’t think criticizing is fair.

i dont get the thread title "locally manufactured" versus the photo of the rear of the thing, saying "made in china"

maybe locally designed, locally distributed...but not locally manufactured. it says "MADE in china"

Page 1 of 45 1 234511 ... LastLast